Agamatrix wavesense jazz

Wills01

I started using one of these meters a year ago. I used it at night before going to bed to determine the dose of apidra solostar to administer. In the morning i used an accu chek mobile.
I was plagued with low blood sugar around 5am, below 4 to be frank. Had a replacement meter, after long winded phone conversations with their manager at Customer support. I had to give up on the second meter also, went over to using 2 accu chek mobile meters. No problems there.

What the guy at agamatrix failed completely to grasp was this. Using the jazz meter at night resulted in hypos on a regular basis. Using the accu chek at night gave no such problems, he was convinced that their jazz was correct and that it was the accu chek mobile that was the culprit. So, it would appear that the jazz meter was not reliably accurate at all.

All the best
Wills.

heyjude68

I have just had a letter of my GP saying I have to change over to that machine. I use accu check mobile and I find it very good I don't see why we should be forced to switch when you are happy with what you use.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

victorhill

sounds like something from the film MATRIX

sorry thats a pun

if you like accu cheek blood testing i had them for over 15 years until i was put on pump

try this take bloods test at the same time from both machines see how they compare prior to checking do a strip check on both also see how they compare

then see if results at diffrent times of the day are
and do not forget HOSPITAL POSS GET SPECIAL REBATES ON THE NO OF UNITS SOLD ???? poss not also
it is a battle for every person on NHS medication

i would complain if your health is in trouble
also GP S like every person to try things so carry on you may improve
insulin has saved us all from a very short life thanks to many on trials we know nothing of ... vic

Wills01

I hope that we are not all going to be forced to use the jazz meter. We need more accuracy, not less. The strips are cheaper, yes. But what about the quality and consistency of the system. I found this meter to be the least accurate of the lot. I tested a number of times with the mobile and jazz at the same time. Jazz was inconsistent.
The powers that be are playing with our health and well being in advocating the use of equipment that is cheaper, and for me less accurate. The strips that this meter wasted due to some error other will cost more in the long term i think. When i decided to use the jazz, no one in the gp surgery or the local hospital had ever heard of the wavesense jazz. It took quite a time to convince the doc to let me try it out. when they agreed, i bought the meter for £15.99. I now wish i had not bothered at all.

All the very, very best
Wills.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
I found the solostar pen worked very badly and so the dose at night may not be what you think you are injecting and so you could hypo
Think the jazz measures high and testing it against other meters found large difference so if you are using bolus insulin the dose you gave would be too high based on a reading 15-20% out
Have just won the battle to have my abbott strips back but only because the abbott meter works at 4% in the winter and all other meters wont work below 10%

Wills01

I am interested in what you say about the apidra solostar pen. What problem did you have with it exactly. The pen unit itself is just about identical to others of the same ilk. I have a problem with it also, but it is not the actual pen that is the culprit.
I find that the insulin can sometimes leak around the needle whilst injecting. The insulin appears to be injected, but comes back out around the injection site whilst needle is inserted.
I believe that the needles supplied are a tad too short, also it looks like the solostar is of a thinner consistency to lantus. When i was using the lantus unit that used cartridges, the needle that was supplied in the case with it was a tad longer.I am seeing my gp a week monday, so i will discuss all this with her. As you will know, one needs an accurate reading from a meter at night so the correct dose of solostar can be administered. The problem i have now is that the brilliant gp who dealt with diabetic matters tragically lost his life. The new doctor knows less than i do about a lot of diabetic matters. Other diabetics at the surgery complain of the situation also.

All the very, very best
Wills.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
I was chosen as a newish to insulin type 2 by hospital rep to trial 8 or so pens. One pen dribbled badly during use and even more so when removed ,it was only after trying all pens the name of this device was given to me and since have read about the problem on other forums
You can have a longer needle if you think that will solve your problem but personally I would ask for a different pen ,when I was on Apidra the Dns gave me a better one but cant remember what is was called and it worked just fine

Wills01

Thanks for the info borderter, i truly appreciate your opinion on this.
It seems to me, after checking out apidra pens on the web, that a lot of people do not fully grasp the mechanics of these pens. As far as i can make out, a number are using them incorrectly. However, i do agree that they can squirt or dribble insulin after withdrawal from injection site.
I do not manage to bend needles or whatever, but it could be that the rear of the needle assembly might not be penetrating the pen stopper completely. The bung would then attempt to seal under the pressure of injecting and impede the flow, when plunger is released, the bung would relax allowing the passage of insulin. I will do my best to get to the bottom of this particular problem. I have always been prescribed bd needles. During the apidra solostar pen shortage i used apidra vials and bd syringes, no problems at all there.

All the very, very best
Wills.

rugo

I have similarly been moved over to the AgaMatrix Jazz by doctor. Here I am finding readings higher than with previous device. Thoughts?

amcdee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, this meter gave me higher result as did the trueresult meter. Net result was a number of hypos.

Agamxtrix considered there was no issue with the meter. I will never use either meter again, cheap and ineffective

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I actually found the jazz to be one of the more accurate meters ive ever used, and the results were consistent.

It could be the other meter at fault, imagine the accuchek giving you slightly lower results, so you take less insulin which = no hypo

On the other hand, if you always get hypos with the jazz then it could just be your ratios are slightly wrong

Home testing meters are only meant to be accurate within 10% and unless you have a lab test to confirm which meter is closest you will never know!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jgordon5

My GP practice switched us all to the wavesense jazz. I was quite prepared to like it although it does not look or feel like a quality machine. I have brittle diabetes so although I have a very green diet, I still have very low hypos and very high hypers but I was totally unprepared for a reading of 30 from the wavesense jazz!! :?: I still had some old testing strips from my ultrasmart meter so took a test immediately and found it was 20 on that meter. Still way too high but not nearly as alarming as 30. This has happened several times and has then resulted in a swing to 1.6 because I gave myself more insulin than I needed. It does not feel good!!

The worst thing is though that I keep getting error 4 messages whenever my hands are slightly chilly. Even if I rub the skin and rub my hands together, it still gives error 4 and as I walk a lot and need to know where I am blood sugar wise, this makes it pretty useless for me. I mean the temperature yesterday was 16 degrees, not exactly cold. What will it do, or not do, when the weather gets cold.

In the meantime, Accu-chek supplied me with their new accu-chek mobile and looking online their test strips are only £2 more per 100 than the wavesense jazz so I'm now going to ask my practice if they will support that instead. Seemingly accurate results and so much nicer to use.

Anyone have similar experiences?

patrica64

didnt like Accu Check before and even now wavesense - gives me higher results as did - trueresult meter from accu check.

Net result was a number of hypos. ps both meters look cheap and both are the disappointing ... expensive cheap there all the same at the end of the day.
:crazy:

Lang

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I was forced to use it by my GP, I have been reasonably happy with the Wavesense Jazz meter up until now, although I have noticed some slight inaccuracies in the past. However, this evening I went hypo, and the monitoring results were completely inconsistent. This is what I got:-

6.57 pm 5.1
7.35 pm 5.2
7.49 pm 7.6
8.28 pm 7.6

I was already well hypo by the time I took the first test. I would estimate that my blood glucose was actually in the low threes, or high twos. I started eating high-carbohydrate snacks, but by 7.49 I was still hypo. Eventually things improved, and by 8.28 I felt reasonably normal, although my blood sugar reading was exactly the same as the previous one. Any meter that can give a normal reading when you can hardly see or stand up is not to be relied on. I realise that biochemistry can be an inexact science, but I don't recall having this problem with previous meters.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just been changed to the jazz by my surgery (first time I've been given a free machine) always used an accu chek aviva and results have always matched my h1bc, started using the jazz and also tested with the accu chek, results at the lower end were accu chek 4.8 jazz 5.4 so not a lot of difference., accu chek 6.5 jazz 8.8 quite a big difference as I adjust my insulin depending on my readings this is potentially life threatening so I'm going to ask the surgery to give me back the accu chek strips, also I saw the diabetes consultant earlier this week and when I showed the diabetic nurse my blood glucose results on the machine she said oh no not a jazz and told me a lot of people have had problems with them, they may be saving money but they're putting us at risk.

Osming

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Uh oh, not good reading. Have been informed that my surgery is changing all diabetics to the Wavesense Jazz and that my next prescription request for test strips will be for the Jazz only.
Will try to keep an open mind but it seems the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing as my DN gave me a replacement Contour only 3 weeks ago:(

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All Type 1 diabetics are entitled to use a BG testing deivce that they are happy with and confident of the results. If your surgery has changed your device/strips without consulting you, then you need to compose a letter informing them of your requirements and that you wish to continue to use the system(s) of your choice.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
I don't think that the cost of the testing strips is the issue here. I have no experience of the Wavesense Jazz device but it seems that it has gone outside the norm and its new algorithms might not be doing the job their software guys claim. It certainly seems that it does not suit many who've posted here.
GPs and Diabetes Nurses should be tuned into these issues and be prepared to ditch the CCG's doctrine on the device and strips that should be supported by the practice. There are plenty of brilliant devices whose manufacturers supply strips at £9 per 50. The CCG could not contest a GP's decision on these grounds.

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I’ve just changed from GlucoRX mini to the jazz wave sense and found the jazz reports lower sugars than the mini. E.g 18.9 on the mini and 15.4 on the jazz. Lower blood sugars didn’t have such a discrepancy. Why can’t they get all devices more aligned ? By the way does anyone know what the standard deviation means. My nurse said mine was 2.9. Don’t know what this means.

barbherod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used the Jazz for several years as it was the choice of my surgery and I think of the whole Commissioning Group. I was given a free meter and free strips on prescription. I imagine that the issue is something to do with bulk purchase and price. I have to say that I have had no problems, but as a Type 2 who was on Gliclazide and later insulin, a relatively small dose, it was never so critical for me. I have been LCHF for about a year, still taking very small injections of insulin and so far have had no problems. I would never have thought of doing any comparison as I was getting this free and accepted it as OK.
I have considered myself lucky to get free monitoring kit, as many do not.