type 1 and in the army!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I keep get AFCS pushed down my throat, did you do thus?

I am pretty sure if your downgraded you can claim disability working allowance and or reduced capacity to work allowance phone the pensions help line don't delay or you can lose a lot of money some things you can claim even while still serving and even you might be able to claim under industrial injuries compo so look into it all now. Good luck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah cool, yea I can claim while I'm in. I've got the paperwork coming now. I will get onto the bl. Cheers mate.

Glad to help if you need any questions answered feel free ill do my best to help if I was you id contact one of these no win no fee claim companies too they can be usefull to help with this might even be a medical negligence claim etc . No win no fee but if you do win im pretty sure they take a bit .In hindsight I wish I'd done all this at time but I was very depressed due to a skull fracture when i had a hypo on camp and was run over by a three tonner . Ouch.anyways im much more settled now and dealing with things better . If I can help someone im happy.

rendall4683

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see alot of you guys are still in? i was diagnoised in 2011 and was MD straight away! and i was in the RN as a Aircraft mechanic. how did any of your medical pensions go, did you recieve much?

leedoak

I'm still in at the moment, it's only been 2 months. Im not getting any feedback so I'm just cracking on. I'm doing a Sahara trek in November for charity to prove I'm still fit.

Joanna87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's all about your HBa1c result.
When I was first diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago, they try to serve me discharge papers. I fought against it of course - at the time I was the fittest female within the regiment, receiving awards left right and centre for my achievements, how could they discharge me?!! - Looking into it more though, although your level of fitness is a huge tick in the box, it's all about how you manage your bloods.
I knew a postie also with type 1, same rank, fit as a fiddle, but HBa1c all over the place. Over a period of time (and many more blood tests) his HBa1c level still didn't come down. He was discharged only last year. It didnt help the fact either that he would use his type 1 to get out the majority of things and "**** jobs".
It is how you manage yourself and how stable your blood groups are plus your attitude. That's why I'm still serving now.
Good luck on your Sahara trek! Make sure you have plenty of lucazade/gluca gel with you! (My life support on long fitness sessions!)
But remember, your blood tests never lie ;) the lower you can your HBa1c, the slimmer the chance of being discharged :)

Reactions: 4 people

leedoak

Cheers, my regt is being pretty supportive. I'm from a small trade group so we are all pretty close. I've got my blood under control but. Still int honeymoon period which is probably helping lol.
Cheers for your support and advice for the trek. Any other advice would be diamond. Or you could just sponsor me text DOAK63 to 70070. Lol

andy24092014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ummm interesting comments. From my experience it's a case by case basis. I was diagnosed in September last year. I was only in the MPGS and after an initial board it looked promising that I would be kept it after a review. I can bang out a fitness test with no dramas as I am a very keen runner, so I am perfectly fit and able, I cracked on and did my job with no issues and my control is spot on. Everyone was totally gobsmacked when I went for my review to be told I would be discharged. My attitude had been more then can do and I'd gone above and beyond to prove that I could do my, and let's be honest sitting on the gate ain't hard, job with no issues. They binned me on the grounds of handling weapons. I argued that it had been more dangerous for me driving 4 hours to the review board then holding a weapon stood next to a colleague but to no avail. I have no idea how they work out whether they keep you in or not

Reactions: 2 people

andy24092014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is indeed. It really is a case by case basis I think. Either way, I am happy to be going. Good luck to those waiting and I hope any decision is made in their favour.

tomfalc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in the army and just found out I've got type 1 diabetes, so what! type 1 I can get my head around and deal with. Has anyone serving or passed serving within the British army had to deal with medical discharged or retention. I'm married with children and the possibility of discharge is pretty scary. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I was discharged from the army after being diagnosed with Type 1 in 1980. It took about 6 months from diagnosis to my final release. It was scary - there was little support and information about diabetes was hard to find. I got pre-release training and access to a government training course in computer programming. I thought things had changed now, and discharge want always necessary. I guess if you're in a front line role you would need to find another and that used to be impossible.

If you do come out, the sorry of work you can do as a diabetic is much more open. There used to be restrictions on shift work, driving, and working alone. These have all been relaxed so you should be able to work in any field you're qualified for.

I wish you all the best for the future. Having to find a new career as well as learning to cope with your diagnosis and the impact on you and your family is an additional burden, but it can be done. We're here for you if you need us.

Tom

andy24092014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Likewise, I have gone through the same process this year and it is very hard to suddenly have the carpet under you're feet pulled from below you, especially after 14 years. If you need any help with anything then don't hesitate to ask. Good luck

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been reading this with interest. SO as I read it, I could be an offshore mechanic working on a gas turbine or other safety critical kit, with T1 (I go offshore, but don't really do anything like work ;)), but if you are in the Army/Navy/Airforce working on that same gas turbine engine you could be invalided out.

Seems crazy to me.

I remember when my dad was in the RAF (27 years), there was a bloke diagnosed coeliac, who was kept in but couldn't go on taceval or on exercises because there were no suitable ration packs.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is a good reason. If you have to go to war they have enough to worry about and do not want to be over burdened. This is why it is individual and depends on what you may be expected to do. If you are not front line then you have some hope that the military will want to retain the skills and knowledge it has invested in you. It is a difficult call to make and the officers that had to make the decision will be feeling **** over it (believe me as I had to do it once).

paulus011

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear your problem mate, not the same i know, but i spent 30 years as a firefighter with type 1, all operational on a watch. Each case should be judged on its merits. I wish you all the luck mate.

laurafowler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son was diagnosed with type 1 just after his pass out in December and was medically discharged. He was gutted as it was all he wanted to do, the process took about 6 months.

leedoak

Just an update, I'm still in at the moment. I'm showing good HbA1c results. But they will look at me after my eye exam next year.

Peter Hulse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not in the army, but I've just had my defence security clearance (SC) marked with re4strictions: no courier duties and no singleton/isolated posts. This is said to be for national security reasons and nothing to do with health and safety. It shouldn't affect the job I'm doing, except that my sponsor says they can't cope with restrictions. So I'm out. Sounds as though the army is better than Rolls-Royce.