Low cal diet and Newcastle diet

murph524

Hello again. (sorry in advance for the long post)
It's been a while since I last posted,
My question has more than likely been asked already, but here goes again.
I did the Newcastle diet about 2 years ago, (well i did it for 7 weeks) I lost just under 2 stone, putting me at around 11 and a half stone, for the life of me I can't remember what my numbers went down to.
But here goes, 2 years later and back up to 13.9, I know how I got back up to this level again,but for the last 6 months I have been eating the things a diabetic should avoid, all the **** that shoot your numbers up high,
So here goes, I have decided to try and lose some weight and try and bring my numbers back down. Has anyone tried the Newcastle diet Monday to Friday, then eat normally at the weekend, but still low carbs.
My fasting numbers have been in the 9 and 10's recently and with me eating all the **** can get into mid teens,
So I started this diet last week, Asda shakes made up with water to bring down the carbs and my veg at evening meal.
Monday's fasting number was 9.2, just before lunch shake 6.8, shakes seem to put it up 2 points on average so 8.8
Tuesday's fasting 7.7 then before lunch 6.7 before evening meal 6.7 veg put it up .2 to 6.9 bed time down to 6.0
Wed's fasting 5.9 for some reason didn't test before lunch, before evening meal 4.9 after 5.7
Thur's fasting 5.9 before lunch 6.7 evening meal 5.8 after 5.9
Friday's fasting 4.4 before lunch 4.3 evening meal 4.6 after 4.2
Sat's fasting 4.4
Sunday, awoke with a sore head, (nothing to do with my white wine lol, must have been my daughters chocolate that I pinched) fasting number was 5.9 then before I had eaten anything it was 8.4 had some ham went to 8.8 just checked sitting at 7.7
Now here goes, as I'm going to eat "normally" at the weekends and have my white wine at night time (Sat only) and the odd treat, I will keep this thread updated on my results.
Has anyone else tried this way and if so what were your results?
also if anyone has any thoughts (good or bad) I would be happy to hear them.
PS weighted my self this morning and sitting at 13.3 so a six pound loss.
PPS I have stopped my glimepiride on the Friday, also I had to take a few sugar tablets as I was feeling like ****.

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My thoughts are that it might work because your body doesn't know what to expect next or it might not work, for the same reason.

Saltyseas

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @murph524, it sounds like the 5 : 2 IF diet but the other way around (i.e.. 5 VLCD days and 2 normal). It's great that you are trying again - I think anything that helps us diabetics focus on getting our blood sugars under control it great - so I'm wishing you good luck with this new diet of yours.

I'm trying the strict ND at the moment (it's the 2nd ND i'm trying this year - and hopefully this will be more successful, as after my earlier attempt on the ND using real food my BG's started creeping back up again after I'd finished).

I know how hard to is to stay on such a strict VLCD (as I'm only at day 11 and finding it far more difficult this time).

It's interesting that your ND 2 years ago wasn't a long term 'cure' but all our bods are very different and some people on this forum have been more successful than others. I hope this time it works even better for you - anyway we can only try! After all - what have we got to lose? ... oh yes ... the diabetes!

murph524

Thanks Celeriac,
Thanks Saltyseas, Like I said for the life of me I can't remember what numbers I got down to, but I think I would have remembered if I got down to normal levels, so I think not, I have been looking at the 5:2 diet, seems to look good and has good effects on bg levels, might try that if my (like you said) 2:5 diet gets to hard or even a 3:4 diet, so a bit of trial and error. Like I said on 1st post, the last 6 months I have been eating a lot of ****, so even if it only kick starts me again into eating better and to stop eating the ****.
Good luck on your ND.

murph524

Thought I would try a test with my evening meal tonight.
very small plate of pasta bog
started at BG 4.0
1 hour later 6.2
2 hour later 7.5
3 hours later 9.2
not good but only an early test.

Saltyseas

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @murph524, Great pre food BG of 4.

After you did the ND 2 years ago did your BGs come down 2h later like a non-diabetic after eating carbs?

Also what did your doc say after last ND? Did he reduce any meds?

Did you decide on continuing on the ND weekdays this week?

murph524

Hi saltyseas.
If I try and remember, my numbers did come down, I can't remember what they actual came down to but I do remember that after eating a rice dish they shot right up, so no not non-diabetic,maybe I hadn't lost enough weight, but I was eating a low carb diet after that ND, It has only been in the last 6 months to a year that I have been really bad with my eating and once I started getting numbers in double figures that I knew I had to do something about it.
Yes I have kept it going for this week also, I was going to keep it going until I had lost a decent amount of weight, as my thinking was I could still eat at the weekend, I don't know if it will work but I can only try.
When I did my fasting sugars this morning it was 8.0 so I was a bit disappointed as I have had good numbers last week, I was trying to think if it was the pasta dish that I ate the night before, so I will see how it goes for the next couple of weeks.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @murph524, it sounds like the 5 : 2 IF diet but the other way around (i.e.. 5 VLCD days and 2 normal). It's great that you are trying again - I think anything that helps us diabetics focus on getting our blood sugars under control it great - so I'm wishing you good luck with this new diet of yours.

I'm trying the strict ND at the moment (it's the 2nd ND i'm trying this year - and hopefully this will be more successful, as after my earlier attempt on the ND using real food my BG's started creeping back up again after I'd finished).

I know how hard to is to stay on such a strict VLCD (as I'm only at day 11 and finding it far more difficult this time).

It's interesting that your ND 2 years ago wasn't a long term 'cure' but all our bods are very different and some people on this forum have been more successful than others. I hope this time it works even better for you - anyway we can only try! After all - what have we got to lose? ... oh yes ... the diabetes!
Notice that his weight crept back up again, not hating, but weightless need to maintained if cure is excepted to last. good luck to both of you

Saltyseas

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @murph524
Yes probably the pasta. But it's really great that you are keeping going.

I've got a huge amount of weight to go before an acceptable BMI - but my motivation this time round is that in the ND trial subjects had good results even though they still didn't have normal BMI at the end.

Best of luck this week

Hi Murph524.
My hubby is on the ND at the moment. 3 weeks in on Monday last. He is being a little more lenient at the weekends, but still low carb'ing. It has occasionally taken his sugars up a little, but they are quickly back down again once back on the shakes and veg.
For example last weekend he had an egg for breakfast, and a cold chicken breast for lunch. Blood sugars stayed in the 6s 2 hours after.
If he does have 'real' food instead of a shake at a weekend meal time, he still try's to keep within the 200cals as well. He has lost 11lbs so far. His BMI was 27 when he started, (13stone 4lb) and he wants get it to around 23/23.5, so has another 11lbs to go.
He did say he has noticed how much fuller he feels when having just a small portion of something, so hopefully that will continue on once finished. He does not expect this to 'cure' his diabetes - he has had it for over 10 years now. But things had gotten way out of control over the last couple of years, and he was fed up with the the GPs answer of just throwing more pills at him.

I think if you don't follow the ND to the letter, then obviously things may take a little longer to achieve.

I have much admiration for my husband; and all of you who do this diet. It is brutal to say the least, but I applaud you all - I know I could not manage it...!!

Reactions: 4 people

murph524

hi,
Roytaylorjasonfunglover - yes I put back on all the weight I lost, it goes on slowly again and I just got back into old habits. Thanks for the good luck

saltyseas- I know how hard it can be on the ND your mind does weird things, keep up the good work a day at a time. I am also doing a bit of lifting weights to build a bit of muscle, so I'm not sure how that would effect my bmi.

Hereweareagain- good luck to your hubby, cure maybe not, but remission yes, If we eat how we know we should eat hopefully our numbers will stay low. also it is not easy for the people we live with as we can be pretty annoying with it at times,