Does anyone else feel guilty?

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Hiya,

just wondering whether other people feel really guilty when they have something to eat that they shouldnt do? I just had a chai latte with a friend at lunchtime... had a feeling it tasted a little sweet- l was hoping it would be just spices- got back to my desk and checked online- over 50g of sugar!!! it feels like something like this ruins my day!

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I do feel guilty eating/drinking things I shouldn't but life would be so dull and predictable without these hiccups now and again. :twisted:

Rushy

I'm with Édith Piaf on this one!
Non, je ne regrette rien!
If I consume something that takes my levels up, I make a mental note to NOT eat or drink whatever it was next time.
It's bad enough as it is without feeling guilt ridden too! :wink:

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
True Rushy but the pangs of guilt still appear :(

Spiral

No, I don't feel guilty, but I do occasionally want to throttle people who tell me "you shouldn't/can't have that". I'm a grown up and can take responsibility for my decisions, even the bad ones.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Guilt is a terribly over-rated emotion and not worth bothering with half the time. Maybe shock sometimes at discovering something I thought was OK turns out not to be. And also frustration when bg refuses to get back to target level despite all best efforts. But never guilt...

samcogle

I feel guilty too everytime I even nibble something i shouldn't. I have a new boss and she offered me a biscuit to which my standard line is always "no thanks I'm diabetic"....well that was it....now everything I eat she has to look at, which is kind of nice but if I have a little slip she is down on me like a ton of bricks haha!
On the other hand she has also given me some very good advice as she is Indian and was telling me about Indian cuisine and how the incidence of diabetes in India is very low. She recommended a few herbs to try so I now have a nice curry on the go...but no rice or nan :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
samcogle said:
On the other hand she has also given me some very good advice as she is Indian and was telling me about Indian cuisine and how the incidence of diabetes in India is very low.

Hi Sam.

I think your new boss is being a bit economical with the truth. Have a read.
Diabetes in India - The situation
Over 30 million have now been diagnosed with diabetes in India. The CPR (Crude prevalence rate) in the urban areas of India is thought to be 9 per cent. In rural areas, the prevalence is approximately 3 per cent of the total population.

The population of India is now more than 1000 million: this helps to give an idea of the scale of the problem. The estimate of the actual number of diabetics in India is around 40 million.

This means that India actually has the highest number of diabetics of any one country in the entire world. IGT (Impaired Glucose Tolerance) is also a mounting problem in India. The prevalence of IGT is thought to be around 8.7 per cent in urban areas and 7.9 per cent in rural areas, although this estimate may be too high. It is thought that around 35 per cent of IGT sufferers go on to develop type 2 diabetes, so India is genuinely facing a healthcare crisis. In India, the type of diabetes differs considerably from that in the Western world.

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
I often feel guilty

But am not telling you why...............

oh go on then !!!

banana's with extra thick double cream....my dowfall!!
Crofty

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I felt guilty today
I had most of a sausage roll for lunch( I left the bulk of the pastry) and felt guilty until I checked BG( 4.7)I'd obviously walked enough today
Hana

samcogle

Oh dear....I did wonder as she said her uncle was diabetic :lol:
I am feeling guilty today after eating a pizza last night but it was very nice and my BG was 8 after so not too bad!!!

Fujifilm

I never feel guilty, given the choice of not enjoying what I like or gaining few years on my life span.... Pass the cake :lol: :lol:

Life is too short, and I when I get to wherever I am going when I croak, and someone says to me if you had not eaten that cake you would have lived another 5 years, I will just say, yes but I enjoyed it. :mrgreen:

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
I just worry that having obeyed the rules and gained control, something else will get me and I will have deprived myself for no reason :lol:
Val

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but I might steer clear of a cake that takes 5 years off your life. :D

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Guilt is a useless emotion most of the time.

I choose to eat cake. I like cake. I like sitting down with a good book, (Caiaphus Cain) and a nice slice of cake.
Choose to eat them, enjoy them, rather than feeling guilty.
That's why i hate any form of diet that makes anyone feel guilty.

If you want it, work it into your blood sugars and enjoy it.
Otherwise, don't.

howie

my fave snack is berries, banana and total yogurt. my bg doesn't even raise if i have a coupla units. my endocrine says as a T1 we can eat what we like, we just need the right amount of insulin. (except refined sugar).

don't 100% agree with him, if i fancy a big old dinner with a bowl full of potato wedges i halve my units and just go for a run after, come back with BG of 4 and no guilt for me.

my guilt comes from partying too much and the odd social smoke.

foxy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't worry about what I eat as a rule but only because I continually long to lose weight. Purely as a vain preoccupation. I was with my son, who is a paramedic, and my daughter and we were having a drink in a pub. I had a 7up and my son says "you shouldn't be drinking that!" When we got back to mine they insisted I check my BG and it turned out theres was higher than mine!
When you live on yor own and hardly see anyone from one week to the next a nice cream cake is such a comfort.