Poll: Sugar tax - what do you think?

Do you support a sugar tax?

• Yes: absolutely

• Yes: depends on how much tax is added though

• No: we don't need a sugar tax but better labelling about sugar content would be great

• No: things are fine the way they are

• I'm not sure

• No: there should be a carb tax

• No: Government needs to get manufacturers to reduce the sugar content of their foods

• No: there needs to be better education

Results are only viewable after voting.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Technically, I should avoid or minimise breathing because I live a few miles from a busy airport (another recent health scare).

I'm finding this quite challenging :)

Going back to the original post, you don't actually need sugar (ignoring hypo situations), so it should be made easier for people to minimise intake, whether through regulation, taxation, education, information or any EFFECTIVE combination of these.

Well, that is challenging!

Let's just get one thing very clear here. Ageing "causes cancer" too. Should we stop people getting older?

This is one of those reports that raises some interesting ethical questions regarding life. We've known for a while that there is a link between processed meats and cancer - it is not new news. Red meats may cause cancer too? Oh well. According to the WHO data, the increased risk is an increase of 18% on the existing risk.

According to the US CDC, the likelihood of getting bowel cancer over periods of time increases as you get older, or in other words, if you are 30, the likelihood of getting it in the next ten years, is 0.07% and in 30 years is 0.97%. So, the likelihood if you eat the bad processed meats is 0.083% in the next ten years and and 1.14% in the next thirty years. Really not worth worrying about.

By having Diabetes, my risk of death is increased. I am 48% more likely than normal to have a heart attack. Everything kills you in some way. It's called life, so let's just get on with it!

Thank you for sharing those stats. Very interesting read.

While we are off topic and writing about cancer instead of the sugar tax may I ask a question?

Would it be a shorter list and a whole lot quicker if we were all given a list of things that don't cause cancer?

Perhaps the Daily Fail could help here.

It would most likely make front page of the Daily Express, too :)

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no way yet another stealth tax is required. The answer always seems to be charge the public more! Green tax being a great example! Why do they always want to charge us more, all this does is line the pockets of someone else and we all still buy the stuff! ENOUGH!

Educate people!

1696 Window tax anyone..??! We are inching towards a tax on the air we breath...

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With the prospect of a sugar tax supported by Jamie Oliver (but refuted by David Cameron), what do people think - should there be a sugar tax? It has been reported that hypo treatments would be exempt from a sugar tax.

Labelling suggestions from Jamie:

jamie-oliver-drink-inline.jpg

If you think any choices are missing from the poll, please let us know and we'll update the poll :)

Why not impose the tax on the sugar industry, penalize them on pretax profit? They make millions! The money could be directed on education of the Diabetes and help with the rising cost of the treatment. Top Chef's are already showing how to cook more healthily with the same fabulous taste. The USA is taking the issue seriously as the country is starting to spend millions on combating the weight of its citizens. We won't be far behind if the government choose to ignore it. The NHS is at stretching point already.

dragonqween

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, cricket, golf.
I don't have a problem with a sugar tax but it should be up to individuals taste. However, I DO have a problem with artificial sweeteners and sugar substitutes and the way manufacturers add them 'willy-nilly' to our drinks and food products. If a sugar tax is introduced then sugar will be replaced with these sweeteners and substitutes to get around the tax. Aspartame and acesulfame k cause terrific, painful spasms in my stomach and gut. How many people get this and wonder what causes it? When I was first diagnosed with T2, I immediately cut out all sugar. Yes, it was difficult at first but after a while I could actually taste what I was eating and drinking. My family took it on-board which helped a great deal.
Sugar tax? NO! Let people decide for themselves.

Reactions: 7 people

Diamond Lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My ailments
I don't need another tax on food, and its about time that people stop telling me what I can or Cant do or have...

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sure, tax it. I don't consume any.

baksee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why is it that if something is perceived to be "bad" then we tax it!? Sugar is a basic food ingredient the appropriate use of which needs to be taught through education, not the usual finger wagging nanny state approach. I do however agree with putting a tax on manufactured / processed food and drinks, to encourage the manufacturers to put healthier options / ingredients in their products.

baksee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wait, what?!?
Why is it that beards are always seen as the aberration? I quote; "mad hipster beards." it is shaving that is weird - why would you ritually emasculate yourself every morning? Beards are natural - shaving is a modern aberration, made "normal" by the militarisation of society by two wars from which we still seem to have a problem moving on. However we live in a free society so face fungus is a personal choice - get over it!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We do already have a tax on certain foods - VAT, which at the standard rate is 20%. I suspect that if the government wanted to, it could apply VAT at whatever rate it wanted to, to all foods containing sugars, and to sugar itself. I'd like to see taxation on foods used not just to nudge us towards less purchasing of sugar foods, but away from all processed foods, so that fresh foods really become the cheapest option. But I somehow can't see that happening!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is it that beards are always seen as the aberration? I quote; "mad hipster beards." it is shaving that is weird - why would you ritually emasculate yourself every morning? Beards are natural - shaving is a modern aberration, made "normal" by the militarisation of society by two wars from which we still seem to have a problem moving on. However we live in a free society so face fungus is a personal choice - get over it!

It is because beards are vile food sieves. And very abrasive.

Well, maybe not all of them.
But the ones I have got up close and personal with have fitted that description. I am happy to accept that not all beards are like this, but my (admittedly small) sample has been consistent in its findings.

Reactions: 4 people

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
I am uncertain about sugar tax but VAT added to all foods with high sugar such as biscuits and sweets, maybe other foods should be included like sweetened breads as favoured by the fastfood industry (One of the prime causes by making fatty suggary foods cheap and accessable). maybe some foods need to become more expensive to support the healthier foods allowing them to be made cheaper.
I know convenience foods are more prevalent and relatively cheap many of these need looking at to improve the recipes and reduce both fat and sugar that is added, much oriental and Indian food is guilty here.

GeorgeWBaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Putting a tax on sugar is just another way of getting money from people who can't afford it. The frirst thing would be to restrict the amount of suger used in the production of foods. Education would also be the answer.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in the U.S. so I can only speak to what I see around here. I'll share a few observations that seem to be working:

-Soda/sugar tax- they've tried to implement something like this on several occasions. Each case eventually failed.
You have to remember that the soda industry is actually DECLINING. Oddly enough, only the energy drink market is expanding.

-Someone jokingly mentioned the cell phone law. Most major cities here in the U.S. have "hands free" laws that ban the use of cell phones while driving. Theres also a big marketing push to remind people of the dangers of driving and using a cell phone. In my experience, the combination of both has been a resounding success. Yes, there are still people that text and drive, but the number is far fewer.

-Our laws that require restaurants to post their nutrition facts have been a tremendous success. It may not require macronutrient (carbs, protein, fat) info, but the calorie count alone has helped many people.

-While obesity is certainly still an epidemic, we are experiencing a considerable cultural revolution in regards to health. Fast food restaurants like McDonalds are really struggling to make a profit right now as more people prefer healthier options.

My opinion: education rather than regulation is the most effective method. We like to feel like we are making these decisions for ourselves rather than our government deciding for us. More people are starting to realize that a salad isn't necessarily a healthy option when you dump 2000 carlories on top of it. They're also starting to realize that dietary fats have little correlation to body fat, and carbohydrate (and ultimately calories) management is key.

ketman8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Each of us is responsible for what we eat and how much. It's up to us to make choices on facts. Wise up. We are all in charge of the knives and forks and spoons and what we put in our mouth or pour down our gullet. Teach younger family members as well.

kcbones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Soap Operas, Game shows, Reallity TV
With the prospect of a sugar tax supported by Jamie Oliver (but refuted by David Cameron), what do people think - should there be a sugar tax? It has been reported that hypo treatments would be exempt from a sugar tax.

Labelling suggestions from Jamie:

jamie-oliver-drink-inline.jpg

If you think any choices are missing from the poll, please let us know and we'll update the poll :)
I do not think we need more tax but companie should be made to reduce the sugars they put into their products. They should also realise that adding extra sweetness through the use of sweetners is not a healthy option either.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I do not think we need more tax but companie should be made to reduce the sugars they put into their products. They should also realise that adding extra sweetness through the use of sweetners is not a healthy option either.

It's interesting, in hindsight, how manufacturers aren't being requested to produce lower sugar goods, but instead people are being taxed. Similar to bailing out the banks rather than the people?