What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
13lizanne can I freeze the burgen bread?
Yes @ickihun, I freeze the loaf and take out 3/4 slices at a time. I only eat 1 slice per day and the defrosted slices keep fresh for a few days. A loaf lasts me for 2 wks

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sneezing, feeling under the weather :(

B - nothing
L - mug of bouillon with nutritional yeast flakes sprinkled in
Sn - as above
D - frittata with baby salad leaves

2 x Moroccan mint teas, 2.5 litres Evian, 2 Paracetamol

Reactions: 8 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is anybody else finding three meals a day a bit much?
I'm with you on that one Chook. On my days off I have breakfast - usually yoghurt and seeds, or sometimes bacon and egg, then don't have anything else till dinner time.
When I'm working I'll have yoghurt and seeds, then for some reason come lunch time I'm STARVING, but then I get home and don't want much for dinner. I'm certainly noticing a big difference in my appetite. Not sure if its the higher fat content or my body is finally adjusting to a drastic reduction in carbs. Who knows eh?
On the lunch front - I've started looking at those ready made sandwich fillers in supermarket. Things like egg mayo, tuna crunch etc. I look for the ones with the least carbs, then chuck em in a bag with some celery and cucumber sticks and dunk away at lunch time.
I appreciate this is easy enough to do yourself, but i start work at 8am, finish at 6pm, get home at 7pm, then its dog walking, dinner cooking and tidying etc. ANYTHING that saves me time prepping for the next day is gooood :):):).
Anyone else got any quick lunch ideas with minimum prep time involved?

Reactions: 8 people

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Type 2 on Sitagliptin.

Probably shouldn't have done it, but, I took a partial day off food today

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

hummus (by the teaspoon)
mozzarrella blob and tomato
cheese and ham
If you make up a big crustless quiche, you can just have some for lunch or dinner. they freeze too (it is just like a normal quiche recipe, you just line the dish with ham instead of pastry)
9 bars
greek yog or coconut yog
coleslaw
stuffed peppers

Mr B goes into the M&S near his work and buys one of their salads. he says they are carb free but I have never even seen one.

Reactions: 4 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
hummus (by the teaspoon)
cheese and ham
If you make up a big crustless quiche, you can just have some for lunch or dinner. they freeze too (it is just like a normal quiche recipe, you just line the dish with ham instead of pastry)
9 bars
greek yog or coconut yog
coleslaw
stuffed peppers

Mr B goes into the M&S near his work and buys one of their salads. he says they are carb free but I have never even seen one.
Subway also do great salads when ur out & about, choose ur own mix of salad, then I have tuna mayo & cheese can never finish it!

Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with you on that one Chook. On my days off I have breakfast - usually yoghurt and seeds, or sometimes bacon and egg, then don't have anything else till dinner time.
When I'm working I'll have yoghurt and seeds, then for some reason come lunch time I'm STARVING, but then I get home and don't want much for dinner. I'm certainly noticing a big difference in my appetite. Not sure if its the higher fat content or my body is finally adjusting to a drastic reduction in carbs. Who knows eh?
On the lunch front - I've started looking at those ready made sandwich fillers in supermarket. Things like egg mayo, tuna crunch etc. I look for the ones with the least carbs, then chuck em in a bag with some celery and cucumber sticks and dunk away at lunch time.
I appreciate this is easy enough to do yourself, but i start work at 8am, finish at 6pm, get home at 7pm, then its dog walking, dinner cooking and tidying etc. ANYTHING that saves me time prepping for the next day is gooood :):):).
If I need to take a packed lunch I chuck some salad leaves (from a bag) into a Tupperware box with something like a smoked mackerel filet and a spoonful of mayo. Or cook enough dinner to have left overs for lunch the following day.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:
B: lemon & coconut mug cake with lemon curd
L: baked avocado with tuna mayo & cheese, rocket, red pepper, olives and pine nuts
D: out with friends for Thai. Had 2 starters for main course - chicken satay and lime & ginger calamari. No rice or noodles :angelic:

Reactions: 5 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The LIDL high protein roll, or Burgen/Livlife bread, preferably toasted with pate or terrine is quite easy. Pate and terrine does contain a lot of fat, but that is supposed to be ok for diabetics.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
For work meal I usually go for half a bag of salad leaves, a few cherry tomatoes, maybe some other low carb salad veg and an avocado. I also add to that some chicken, prawns, cheese, ham, salami or crustless quiche. If it has to be a snack on the run type meal I'll take a Lidl high protein roll with cream cheese and either salami or smoked salmon in it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
As for today:

Breakfast: Coffee with double cream
Lunch: Lemon Cream Cheese Pancakes
'Tea' (which is my work meal) We are all going out on a river boat today with a meal out after (residents and staff) so we were given a list of the meals we could choose from and the ONLY meal that didn't have rice, pasta or chips was a roast beef dinner - which means I'll be able to eat the beef and veg. From past experience I know its not very filling so I'm taking an emergency Lidl roll wth cream cheese. :rolleyes:
Supper (at home): Depends.... Possibly the emergency Lidl roll with cream cheese (if I haven't already eaten it) or maybe just a few nuts.

col888

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't been around for a while, been ill and lost a lot of weight. Which has benefitted my diabetes t2, level average hovers around 4.5 on one Metformin am/pm.
No white bread few potatoes, pasta, two main meals and more snacking on fruit nuts etc. Bit of exercise daily.
Here's a pic of after cornflakes breakfast, fruit snacks, last me a few hrs.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1446034206.834781.jpg

Reactions: 10 people

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: bacon and eggs, coffee with cream
L: tarka dall, beanspouts, blueberries and cream, 3/4 litre tonic water
D: will be : roast pork, cauliflower cheese and other veg
S: water, nuts and maybe piece of fruit

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
what would be the highest amount of carbs you could have if you where going to have any but still be low carb?

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday is working from home for me and the temptation is to constantly graze.

B: Half a Lidl roll with butter, coffee with cream
S: 3 tuc biscuits, Applewood Cheddar spread
L: salmon fillet, cherry tomatoes, rocket, cucumber, edamame, almonds
S: strawberries and cream, square of Divine dark chocolate with raspberries
D: Butternut squash spaghetti, pesto, steamed courgette, broccoli, green beans

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what would be the highest amount of carbs you could have if you where going to have any but still be low carb?

There are no hard and fast rules on this - and everyone has their own interpretation.

But normal carb levels in the UK are usually 200+ g a day
Lower carb is anything around 150 g a day
Low carb sort of starts around 130g a day, or less (but not everyone agrees!)
Very low carb is the bottom end of that
Most people find that ketogenic diets are less than 50 g a day, but some people are in ketosis at 50 g, and some have to drop to below 20g to get there, because there are so many factors.

The individual's size, weight, fitness level, the type of carbs (green veg v white bread) all make a huge difference. I mean, a 7 stone woman eating 50g carbs is going to have a different reaction to a 14 stone body building man, on the same amount of carbs.

Reactions: 7 people

suehatton

hummus (by the teaspoon)
cheese and ham
9 bars
greek yog or coconut yog
coleslaw
stuffed peppers

Mr H thinks Maccies is carb free too.....they'll tel us anything!!!

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Mr H thinks Maccies is carb free too.....they'll tel us anything!!!
B half lidl roll with butter & peanut butter
L tuna mayo & cheese salad
S yoghurt & strawberries & blueberries
D 2 sausage & egg ( late dinner as been 2 see James bond!! Marvellous)!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
B. 1 slice Burgen toast & cheddar
L. 1 toasted Lidls HP roll with butter& pate
D. Venison grillsteak, 1/4 onion fritatta, 8 strawberries
S. 1oz chunk double Gloucester cheese with chives, 3 strips crispy bacon, 6 walnut halves
Too many carbohydrates today, bloods are going to be skyhigh tomorrow after all 5s readings throughout today

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In Lisbon this week so going slightly off track.....

B: Scrambled Egg, Bacon and 2 mini Pastry's

L: Chorizo type sausage with a cheese and bread with olive oil

D: Prawns in a garlic sauce, Roasted Cod with salad and a few roasted new potatoes and too much bread.

Red Wine x lot

Had a 7.2 a couple of hours after brekkie due to the Pastry's (you can't not have Pastry when in Portugal) but I was 4.8 at 5PM so not too bad.