Weight gain!

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone,
I'm curious to no how much weight people have gained in there first trimester?
In now 15 weeks pregnant and Iv already put loads of weight on. I haven't really been over eating either

Thanks

C

catherinecherub

I'll bump your post up for some answers.

It may be that the weight gain will slow down as most of us have weight fluctuations whilst we are pregnant.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 32 weeks pregnant and have gained about 10kg in total since around this time last year when I was probably a bit underweight. I haven't tracked it too closely but I reckon was roughly as follows.

A few kilos was from stopping breastfeeding and before getting pregnant again. A few more in the first trimester. Didn't really put any on in second trimester. Have started to put a little more on again now.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm almost 23wks and I've put on more than 20lbs. I put a surprising amount on in the first trimester but my weight gain seems to be slower now. If you're eating healthily and not excessively, I'm sure your weight gain overall will be fine : )

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks ladies! In the first 2 months I gained 1/2 stone!! I'm only 15 weeks and the stretch marks are already coming
I'm not tracking my weight now, hopefully it will make me feel better!xxx

Lolli24

I'm 23 weeks today and I've put on about 2 stone my BMI was fine before I got pregnant now it's 32! As long as baby Is healthy I'm not too worried as before I got pregnant I had diabulimia so can't let me weight bother me at the moment!x

Reactions: 2 people

courtenayjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I posted about this the other week because I was freaking out about the same thing! I am 12+3 and have put on 6lbs. It felt like much more a few weeks ago but I think that was mainly bloating (some evenings I looked 5 months pregnant!). I am hoping now that the morning sickness has eased up, I can get back to eating better and not giving into cravings! The other thing that I found really difficult was having to eat so much extra to manage low sugars.

Did your weight gain slow down in the second trimester? I have read quite a few people say that they gained a lot in the first trimester but then it slowed down... Here's hoping!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @courtenayjane :)

6lbs is nothing to worry about. I read that the average weight gain in the first trimester is around 8lbs. Some women put the weight on in 'surges', others gain steadily. The most important thing is to eat well. When the nausea goes, you'll fancy a wider range of foods. Trust your body to organise the weight gain as it needs :) You're growing and nourishing a whole new person, after all!

You'll be surprised how quickly that weight melts away when baby is born :)

mrsguiseley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 18 weeks and have put on a stone so far, most of in the first trimester due to the drop in blood sugars and the need to keep eating to keep them raised - nowhere near as pleasurable as it sounds! This happened with my first pregnancy too, things evened out in the second trimester and by the third I didn't look pregnant from the back at all! I'm Type 1 and was active during pregnancy with walking and pregnancy aquarobics....breastfeeding definitely helped with getting the weight off. That and a baby who would only sleep while being walked in his pushchair ;-)

Reactions: 2 people