am i type 1 or 2 aint got a clue

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
I have been on Metformin since diagnoses; 2x500mg per day for the first 3 years then 1x500mg per day for 1 year then off Metformin totally for 6 months.
Suddenly blood sugar went up considerably and I was put on 4x500g daily. I take 2x500mg with evening meal though still reading 9-12 two hours after. Not on a very low carb diet but certainly considerably less carbs per day than the recommended amount. (Dietician advised me I should be eating a lot more carbs.) My BMI is 22.4.
Phoned private hospital this morning to book in for blood tests;
GAD £23.69 3 DAYS
IA-2 £41.50 15 DAYS
IAA £49.00 7 DAYS
Total cost is = £114.19 + £25 phlebotomy / nursing fee - = £139.19

2808myles

They told me my BM's were too tight meaning they were controlled but likely to put me into Hypo's,as I have said am now on Humulin M3 since Monday,my morning readings are 14/17,going up during the day to as high as 22,then going down to 17/13.I'm really annoyed now and there is no Consultant till next week,a joke for a main hospital.Have to phone Nurse tomorrow.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
all of your blood sugar readings are way too high and are not tight at all -- they are consistently high , that is the only thing tight about them.

hypo's occur at around 4.0 mmol -- they could be referring to false hypo's possibly ( experienced by people with high blood sugars that drop into single figures ( 6-8)

it sounds as though the humulin is attempting to lower your bloods to a more acceptable single figures but you must have a fair bit of insulin resistance which is preventing this.

what sort of foods make up your daily diet ??

eating a very strict low carb high fat diet could help as could a Cambridge type diet along with exercise but should be discussed with your care team

Reactions: 7 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Myles. I haven't been posting much recently, but saw your post and had to respond. So sorry you have been so ill. Your case always looked LADA to me - slow onset can be over a few years and lull you into a false sense of security - but it always needs insulin eventually. Have you had GAD antibody and c-peptide tests taken recently to try to get a proper diagnosis? Makes me so mad when they fail to do their jobs properly and let people get so ill. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

jane12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diagnosed since 2004 type 1 but was told by the nurse a month ago am type 2,last week i gave a blood to be tested in london,i,m in Paisley Scotland to see if i,m 1 or 2,my insulin has been cut to 12units in the morning and 8 at tea time,1000 of metformin in the morning 500 at lunch 1000 at tea time,i actually think i shouldn,t be taking insulin and am wondering why it has taken a nurse to look at my bloods and say they were to tight to have something done for me,i am wondering if there is anyone who has been through anything like this,and if my consultant has been negligent,or as some put it (just a number).My diabetic nurse says no one has bothered with me and she will get me sorted
Why do you take Metformin if you are type 1? Or why do you take insulin if you are type 2?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Why do you take Metformin if you are type 1? Or why do you take insulin if you are type 2?

I'm not sure about the Metformin and type 1, but many type 2's are on insulin, my 25 year old daughter is one of them. She has been on insulin about 9 years, it's usually given if blood glucose numbers are not coming under control with tablets.

kcurrie65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am LADA if your in scotland you can register with my disbetes my way and you willl see what type you are along with tge results from all your tests. My journey to lada was swift ie within in 3 months of diagnosis of diavetes i knew that metformin and glicizides were not working for me not even if i over dosed on them! Getting to see the diabetic team initially was tough as there are massive huge waiting lists once you do get there irs like night and day how much more clued up they are, any hiw tge GAD test and other s confirmed lada and since using a basal bolus regime and no pills life is fantastic.

I was diagnosed diabetic age 49 i am now 50 am tall not fat but not super skinny i work bloody hard in a warehouse 40 hours a week and walk my dogs in my free tume this helps keep my bloods good abd my hba1c is currently 42 i think thats 6%

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
People with type 1 can take metformin for insulin resistance also. it means that if they were type 1 they would have been type 2. I am one of these. I take a lot less insulin when I am on metformin than when I am not which helps the weight.

kcurrie65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often wonder i know that folk go on a lot about awareness ofdiabetes but i have found that being aware of what your meds do ie how they work has helped me use them as to how best suited me. Metformin will help control weight but its not a weight control drug it is designed to help the body better manage your insulin the zides type of drug will ring the neck out of your pancreas to try and get it to produce more insulin and the insulin is not a cure for type 1vor type 2 it simply lets your body unlock the doors for the glucose insulin metformin in fact no drug is a licence to over eat and under exercise lol we are in control of our diabetes