THINNING HAIR

Cindy44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed 15 months ago, but started on metformin in January of this year. Commenced with one tablet, now it's 2. A few days ago I noticed with a start how thin my hair has become. When I used to bunch it into a ponytail it was quite substantial, now the pony tail is very slender. The internet confirms that some people do experience thinning of hair, others dont. Apparently the package leaflet used to include this side effect but at some stage dropped it. However, I spoke to Bristol Labs today and they went thru all their package inserts for metformin going back to 2008 and cannot find a reference to thinning hair at all. Anyone experience thinning? Does it slow down or stop at some stage?

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Cindy, hair loss can have many causes, high blood glucose among them. Do you have a BG meter and test? If not, get one. The Codefree is popular as the test strips are cheap.

Anaemia, B12 deficiency and low thyroid hormones are other common causes for hair loss. Ask your GP for prints of test results and post them here, with ranges, and you'll get help as far as we can give it.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have your glucose levels been under control for several months now?

The reason I ask is because many people, like me, experienced thinning hair (or even hair loss) in the months leading up to their diagnosis and even some time after getting their glucose levels back to normal.

I was diagnosed (albeit with type 1) a little less than 2 months ago. Since then, my glucose levels have been near perfect, but only recently have I noticed my hair starting to thicken up again.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another cause of hair loss in women can be due to lack of protein.

I used to have really thick hair, but have noticed over the last few years it has actually got a lot thinner, but this started before I was actually diagnosed with diabetes and I'd put it down to old age. But it certainly hasn't got any worse since I've been taking metformin. I'm inclined to think now that lack of protein may have been partly to blame, as my husband, who does all the cooking, tended to feed me higher carb, lowish protein meals. LCHF has put an end to that now though!

Robbity

simonseaford

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too have experienced this - diagnosed in May, metformin 500mg per day
having said that, anyone got a recommendation for a hair-thickening product? Apart from dirt and grease, natch.
HbA1c 53 (May 2015)
HbA1c 42 (July 2015)

alive

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I noticed my hair thinning on the crown of my head about 2 months in from starting Metformin and I was worried that there was becoming more hair on my brush than on my head. I mentioned this to my doctor and he said that he had noticed this amounst his patients. He believed that this may be partly due to a loss of Vitamin B (I cannot remember which one) and told me to start taking one a day of Vitamin B Complex (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, D-Biotin, Folic Acid). This appears to have stabilised the loss and I hope it starts to return to growth (we can only hope).

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
anyone got a recommendation for a hair-thickening product?
My girlfriend bought me the Aveda Invati "kit," but it's not cheap by any means.

I'm usually a skeptic when it comes to these kinds of things (and I still am). I will say that my hair has gotten thicker in the past 1.5 months, but I don't really attribute it to my use of expensive hair products.

Long story short, it's about the best non-prescription product I've found. However, I can't definitively say it does or doesn't work.

Of note: it won't help but thickening hair, but I'd highly recommend the Neoteric diabetic shampoo if you have an itchy scalp like I did. I'm not sure if it's available in the U.K., but I found it on Amazon and in a couple local grocery stores here in the U.S. It's also less than 1/10th the price of the Aveda stuff which I like.

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
My hair started thinning before I was diagnosed as diabetic, but it has increased hugely since then. I do not know if it can be attributed to metformin - I take 2000mg split into 2 doses. I take MSM as a regular supplement as it seems to help stabilise the hair loss. I know poor control can affect it but switching to a low carb diet can also increase hair loss, particularly at the beginning.

Good luck with helping your hair to improve - I will try the Vit B complex to see if it helps. I am also going to try using castor oil on my scalp - although this may be a folk lore remedy!

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I was diagnosed 15 months ago, but started on metformin in January of this year. Commenced with one tablet, now it's 2. A few days ago I noticed with a start how thin my hair has become. When I used to bunch it into a ponytail it was quite substantial, now the pony tail is very slender. The internet confirms that some people do experience thinning of hair, others dont. Apparently the package leaflet used to include this side effect but at some stage dropped it. However, I spoke to Bristol Labs today and they went thru all their package inserts for metformin going back to 2008 and cannot find a reference to thinning hair at all. Anyone experience thinning? Does it slow down or stop at some stage?

I'm not on medication and have not been on medication since diagnosis 10 years or so ago, but I have thining hair. So it is possible that this may be more of a diabetes problem than a medication problem. What does not help is that my hair is very fine and silky, so there was not a lot of bulk there in the first place!!

Ridds10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed June 2013 and put straight onto metformin, a few months later I started to notice my hair thinning. As its not stopped I have been in touch with my Dr, who has decided to stop my metformin for a month and keep me on lixisenatide to see if the problem is resolved. All my bloods seem good so he cannot see any other reason my hair should be thinning so drastically at 29 years old

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
I found a huge improvement with hair loss after taking Perfectil Original hair & nail supplement. Started noticing a difference after a couple of months. However, my skin & nails improved after a few weeks. I continue to take Perfectil, & hair loss has effectively stopped. My hair isn't as thick as pre-diabetes, but getting there.

Bessiemay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I noticed my hair thinning on the crown of my head about 2 months in from starting Metformin and I was worried that there was becoming more hair on my brush than on my head. I mentioned this to my doctor and he said that he had noticed this amounst his patients. He believed that this may be partly due to a loss of Vitamin B (I cannot remember which one) and told me to start taking one a day of Vitamin B Complex (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, D-Biotin, Folic Acid). This appears to have stabilised the loss and I hope it starts to return to growth (we can only hope).
Does this vit b complex have any effect on blood sugar. I would like to try but don't want to see GP first.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take metformin, gliclazide and statins, my hair is/was halfway down my back. It literally falls out in handfuls on it's own, it's so thin now I feel like just shaving the lot of, lost at least a third in weeks, it could be past high sugars, medication or just diabetes, just had shower and drain was blocked with my hair, so I gave up and ate pkt of crisps! First in many months. I'm trying perfectil which alisonjane recommended so good luck to all of us.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hair has thinned on Metformin too. I tried Perfectil, which was great for my nails but did nothing for my hair. I found a biotin and collagen shampoo in Family Bargains which gave the illusion that it's thicker. I'm also using Marigold Engevita nutritional yeast flakes with Vitamin B12 now. Recently switched to shower gel without so many chemicals as well. You might want to get your B12 and zinc lebels checked.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hair has thinned on Metformin too. I tried Perfectil, which was great for my nails but did nothing for my hair. I found a biotin and collagen shampoo in Family Bargains which gave the illusion that it's thicker. I'm also using Marigold Engevita nutritional yeast flakes with Vitamin B12 now. Recently switched to shower gel without so many chemicals as well. You might want to get your B12 and zinc lebels checked.[/Q. Had thyroid, b 's and anemia and all bloods checked, all came back good, so don't know what's csused it. Still just keep trying different things. Thanks for answering.

Othernanna

Hi there :) sorry to tell you, but the hair thinning continues. my ponytail is less than 1cm thick, so I now put it up in a clip.
I wouldn't mind but i'm not ridiculously over weight. I'm only a size 16, never eat fried or pseudo foods. I don't or smoke neither do I eat chocolate, drink fizzy pop etc. It's an absolute bummer!

joanmonk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I too have experienced this - diagnosed in May, metformin 500mg per day
having said that, anyone got a recommendation for a hair-thickening product? Apart from dirt and grease, natch.
HbA1c 53 (May 2015)
HbA1c 42 (July 2015)
Hi simonseafood. I too am thinning on top. I had a word with my hairdresser today and she told me about a friend whose beard was patchy. He rubbed raw garlic in and it stipulated the hair follicles and he now has a full beard. Also you can get garlic shampoo, odourless. I've ordered some to give it a try. Hope this helps.

airsair

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hair has been getting thinner the last 18 months too. I Have been constantly cleaning out my hair brush and my ponytail is half the size it was a couple of years ago. I put it down to the diabetes as i believe that your hair and nails are always the first to go when your body is in crisis. Been on Metformin for a year and have things fairly under control now.
Yesterday when i was in the hairdressers she pointed out all my new hair that was sprouting so fongers crossed that this is a good sign that things are getting back to normal.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hair has been getting thinner the last 18 months too. I Have been constantly cleaning out my hair brush and my ponytail is half the size it was a couple of years ago. I put it down to the diabetes as i believe that your hair and nails are always the first to go when your body is in crisis. Been on Metformin for a year and have things fairly under control now.
Yesterday when i was in the hairdressers she pointed out all my new hair that was sprouting so fongers crossed that this is a good sign that things are getting back to normal.
Great news. Good luck hope everything goes well for you and your hair soon gets back to normal.