Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Shopping List

Here's my attempt. I definitely need help thou.

Corned beef
Cheddar cheese
Almonds
Pork scratchings
Butter
Double cream
Eggs
Mayonnaise
Lidl's protein bread
Almond flour
Coconut water?
Sweetex sprinkles and tablets
Berries
Chicken
Bacon

What am I missing? Loads I bet. Please please help!

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good idea @ickihun !

Walnuts
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Sweet potato
Beans
Pulses
Mushrooms
Olive Oil
Spinach
Pate? - well I usually buy some.
Babybel - or other soft cheese.
Burgen bread/Livlife bread
Any salad stuff
Rich Tea biscuits
High cocoa content dark chocolate
Full fat milk
Almond/soya milk
Salmon/mackerel/any oily fish

Oh and red wine! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Asparagus
Avocadoes

But a good start to your list :)

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Coconut fat.... My wife found some in Home Bargains yesterday. Bargain!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coconut fat.... My wife found some in Home Bargains yesterday. Bargain!
When I went on the DESMOND course the nurse advised us not to use coconut oil, and that olive oil was best.
I do still use a little coconut oil for curries though.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I need to add:-

Chia seeds
extra virgin oil
rapeseed oil
sunflower oil
Sesame oil
Meat joints with fat on.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of the above +

High meat content sausages
Mushrooms (great bulker for any meal)
Stevia as suppose to be "better" than other sweeteners
Peanut Butter , Almond /Soya milk,and Fage full fat Greek yogurt (for workout smoothie) plus a spot of honey and half a banana if your meter says ok...............
Low sugar/carb Protein Powder for the above
Teso frozen mixed berries again mostly for the above or with some yogurt
Tuna
Onions
Liver
Tesco Carrot and swede mash (not super low but I only have a small amount)

and I expect loads more that I cant remember...........

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pataks's curry pastes (not the sauces!)
Worcestershire sauce
garlic
lemon juice
good quality stock cubes (no MSG, or other cr*p)
pesto
jerk seasoning
olives
Aromhuset natural unsweetened water flavours
bovril, coffee, cocoa powder (for drinks)
Sambucol effervescent tablets
Xylitol or Erythritol sweeteners
70% coco choc, any quality brand
Lemon, rose, mint, vanilla oils and essences
sugar free jelly (watch for the artificial sweeteners)

When I went on the DESMOND course the nurse advised us not to use coconut oil, and that olive oil was best.

She probably told you that because coconut oil is saturated fat. which means that her info is out of date. have a good read on Dr Google about the benefits of coconut oil, and you may come to disagree with her. I do.

Reactions: 9 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Fage full fat greek yoghurt
Full fat cream cheese
Raw chocolate powder
Brazil nuts, almonds and walnuts
Toasted flaked almonds
Cinnamon
Fresh lemons and limes
Frozen blueberries
Eggs... LOTS of eggs
Coconut flour
Sweetener of choice - for me thats Spenda
Variety of salad leaves to add interest and flavour
Frozen prawns

I buy the flavoured cubed raw chicken breast from Asda. They are generally low carb and tasty. One pack does me for two work meals.

Did I mention eggs?

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
97% meat Pork chipolattas (tesco & asda)
Chicken
Turkey
Back bacon
Gammon joint (pressure cooker - or baked)
Beefburgers (high meat content)
Tinned tuna and fresh tuna steaks
Lidl's or Aldi's haddock or cod or salmon (cook in microwave)
Lidls loose almonds
Lidls walnuts
Lidls double Gloucester with chives cheese
Lidls smoked applewood cheese
Lidls venison grillsteaks
Lidls high protein rolls
Eggs and more eggs
Fritatta (tesco)
Tesco cauliflower cous cous ( 3 for 2 offer)
Strawberries raspberries
Double cream
Butter
Olive Oil
Burgen bread
M& S crispy bacon ( for snacking)

I'm sure that there is more but that's what I can think of now

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wow. Loads then. Thank you for all the replys so far. Any more welcome. Always. :) :) :)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Peppers (green, yellow, red), cucumber, celery, celeriac, leeks, courgettes, aubergines, kale/Cavolo Nero, sprouting broccoli, watercress, rocket, basil, parsley (in addition to all the veg mentioned above)

I would not buy rapeseed nor sunflower oil as they go rancid really quickly and I don't deep fry food anyway. I use coconut oil, butter or ghee to cook, and EVOO for salads.

No to coconut water as well - the ones I found were all too carby, and there's far more electrolytes in a salted portion of green veg. EDIT: I sometimes drink sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon and a couple of mint leaves, when I'm bored with plain tap water

Reactions: 8 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coleslaw - some like Sainsburys Deli Style have less sugar than others.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vegetables and fresh herbs - organic veg is very seasonal, so whatever I can get from:

Asparagus, aubergines, avocado, basil, bean sprouts, beetroot (pickled), bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, butterhead lettuce, capers (pickled), cauliflower, carrots, cavole nero, cherry tomatoes, chestnut mushrooms, chives, French beans, frisee, garden peas (frozen), garlic, ginger root, globe artichokes, green beans, kohlrabi, mange touts, mint, oakleaf lettuce, olives, onions, parsley, petits pois (frozen), purple carrots, radicchio, radishes, red cabbage, red onions, rocket, Romano peppers, Romanesco cauliflower, rosemary, runner beans, samphire, Savoy cabbage, sorrel, spinach, spring onions, sweetcorn (tinned or frozen), Sweetheart cabbage, tarragon, tinned tomatoes (whole or chopped), watercress, white cabbage, white mushrooms, wild garlic, wild mushrooms, wild rocket plus bottled passata, pesto, ratatouille, tomato paste/puree.

Fats and oils

Butter (unsalted), beef dripping, duck fat, Extra Virgin coconut oil, Extra Virgin olive oil, ghee, goose fat, avocado oil

Dairy

Butter (unsalted), clotted cream, Cheddar, Cornish Brie, creme fraiche, double cream, Double Gloucester, Feta, ghee, Greek style yogurt, Halloumi, kefir, Mozzarella, paneer, Parmigiano Reggiano, Red Leicester, soured cream, Wensleydale

Eggs, fresh and pickled, fresh quail eggs

Fish and Seafood

Calamari, cockles (pickled), cod, haddock, kippers, lemon sole, lobster, plaice, prawns, rascasse, rollmops, salmon fillets, sardines, scallops, smoked salmon, smoked salmon pate, sprats

Meat, game, poultry

Beef (rib eye, rump, sirloin, fillet, diced, minced, burgers, ox tongue), Chicken (whole, legs, thighs, drumsticks, wings), Duck (whole, legs, steaks), Kangaroo (burgers), Lamb (leg, half leg, diced leg, shoulder, chops, loin chops, steaks, neck fillet, ground ), Mallard duck (whole, breasts), Partridge (whole, breasts), Pheasant (whole, breasts), Pork (chops, Parma ham, Mortadella di Bologna), Rabbit (jointed), Turkey (sliced turkey breast), Venison (steaks, shank, sausages, diced, minced, burgers), Wild boar (sausages)

Nuts and seeds

Brazil nuts, chia seeds, cobnuts, coconut cream, coconut flour, coconut milk, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, flaxseed (milled), peanut butter, pine nuts, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, tahini (sesame seed butter), walnuts,

Vinegars

Apple cider, white wine, red wine, distilled malt

Fruit

Lemons, lemon juice, limes and very small quantities black grapes, blueberries, cherries, red grapes, strawberries nicked from husband's fruit bowl or the fridge.

Miscellaneous

Bouquet garni, dried herbs, Earl Grey tea, herbal teas, medium roast ground Arabica Swedish coffee, nutritional yeast flakes, seasoning mixes, spices, stock cubes, Swiss bouillon, tartare sauce, unsweetened cocoa, unsweetened hazelnut drink, whole nutmeg, very low salt stock cubes,

My brain is aching now..

Reactions: 20 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Vegetables and fresh herbs - organic veg is very seasonal, so whatever I can get from:

Asparagus, aubergines, avocado, basil, bean sprouts, beetroot (pickled), bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, butterhead lettuce, capers (pickled), cauliflower, carrots, cavole nero, cherry tomatoes, chestnut mushrooms, chives, French beans, frisee, garden peas (frozen), garlic, ginger root, globe artichokes, green beans, kohlrabi, mange touts, mint, oakleaf lettuce, olives, onions, parsley, petits pois (frozen), purple carrots, radicchio, radishes, red cabbage, red onions, rocket, Romano peppers, Romanesco cauliflower, rosemary, runner beans, samphire, Savoy cabbage, sorrel, spinach, spring onions, sweetcorn (tinned or frozen), Sweetheart cabbage, tarragon, tinned tomatoes (whole or chopped), watercress, white cabbage, white mushrooms, wild garlic, wild mushrooms, wild rocket plus bottled passata, pesto, ratatouille, tomato paste/puree.

Fats and oils

Butter (unsalted), beef dripping, duck fat, Extra Virgin coconut oil, Extra Virgin olive oil, ghee, goose fat, avocado oil

Dairy

Butter (unsalted), clotted cream, Cheddar, Cornish Brie, creme fraiche, double cream, Double Gloucester, Feta, ghee, Greek style yogurt, Halloumi, kefir, Mozzarella, paneer, Parmigiano Reggiano, Red Leicester, soured cream, Wensleydale

Eggs, fresh and pickled, fresh quail eggs

Fish and Seafood

Calamari, cockles (pickled), cod, haddock, kippers, lemon sole, lobster, plaice, prawns, rascasse, rollmops, salmon fillets, sardines, scallops, smoked salmon, smoked salmon pate, sprats

Meat, game, poultry

Beef (rib eye, rump, sirloin, fillet, diced, minced, burgers, ox tongue), Chicken (whole, legs, thighs, drumsticks, wings), Duck (whole, legs, steaks), Kangaroo (burgers), Lamb (leg, half leg, diced leg, shoulder, chops, loin chops, steaks, neck fillet, ground ), Mallard duck (whole, breasts), Partridge (whole, breasts), Pheasant (whole, breasts), Pork (chops, Parma ham, Mortadella di Bologna), Rabbit (jointed), Turkey (sliced turkey breast), Venison (steaks, shank, sausages, diced, minced, burgers), Wild boar (sausages)

Nuts and seeds

Brazil nuts, chia seeds, cobnuts, coconut cream, coconut flour, coconut milk, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, flaxseed (milled), peanut butter, pine nuts, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, tahini (sesame seed butter), walnuts,

Vinegars

Apple cider, white wine, red wine, distilled malt

Fruit

Lemons, lemon juice, limes and very small quantities black grapes, blueberries, cherries, red grapes, strawberries nicked from husband's fruit bowl or the fridge.

Miscellaneous

Bouquet garni, dried herbs, Earl Grey tea, herbal teas, medium roast ground Arabica Swedish coffee, nutritional yeast flakes, seasoning mixes, spices, stock cubes, Swiss bouillon, tartare sauce, unsweetened cocoa, unsweetened hazelnut drink, whole nutmeg, very low salt stock cubes,

My brain is aching now..
My eyes are aching now !!!!

Reactions: 9 people

piersie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been making my own low carb pasta using gluten flour (7g/100g)(from internet), soya flour (22g/100g)(whole foods shop) and a little whole meal spelt flour 66g/100g). No good if you're coeliac but most of us aren't. Far more pleasant than shredded cabbage with a pasta sauce. I also make my own flat breads etc with same ratios for tuna wraps etc.

Reactions: 6 people

sfernando

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ACCORDING TO NEW RESEARCH VIRGIN COCONUT OIL IS THE BEST, BETTER THAN OLIVE OIL.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: gluten, more and more people are becoming intolerant.

In fact there is an American lifestyle coach (his doctorate in chiropractic gives him Dr) Dr Phil Maffettone, who says that carbohydrate intolerance leads people to insulin resistance.

Who knows, but think how badly gluten affects people with coeliac disease. People might not know that they are carb intolerant, after all carbs are everywhere and it's expected that people eat them. But not all people get fat on carbs and not all fat people have diabetes.

I have been looking at bodybuilding websites and many of them are really clued up on nutrition. They often do periods of low carb and then refeed carbs and although they don't generally have diabetes, quite a few start vomiting when they refeed carbs. Of these, some then choose to stay low carb.

Their theory is that if you exclude processed carbs for some time, the stomach doesn't make the necessary enzymes. That if carbs are eaten, the body has two options. Either holding the food around until the enzymes are made or just expelling the food.

But some of the low carbing bodybuilders refeed carbs without problems. Just like not everyone gets fat on carbs and not everyone who is fat gets diabetes and then of course not everyone with diabetes is fat in any case.

Lots of variables but grains are causing intolerance issues.

Sent from my KFARWI using DCUK Forum mobile app