Breakfast

Big_Ron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was only diagnosed on Friday and everything is still such a blur to me but after reading lots of things on this forum its obvious that a low carb diet is the way to go,so I was wondering what do people have for breakfast

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
eggs, (any way) omlettes are good and quick, bacon, mushrooms, occasionally tinned tomatoes and sausages if you can get them with a high meat content. Some people have fruit (berries) with cream or natural full fat yogurt but I try and keep the carbs down in the morning so more for the evening meal. Or cold meat and cheese.
Just some ideas.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been having greek yoghurt with strawberries or nuts and flax seeds and chia seeds. But this morning I had half a Lidl high protein roll with some butter and a cup of tea. I haven't got into the habit of a cooked breakfast yet!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have a full fat yogurt with flaxseed and a couple of strawberries chopped up. However, it turned out I was getting spikes that didn't return to base soon enough. Insulin resistance improves as the day progresses, and I find that mine is quite poor in the mornings so can't tolerate fruit or carbs for breakfast. I changed over to a soft boiled egg and a cup of tea. This is much better for my morning levels. I now have my yogurt and berries after lunch, which makes no material difference to my levels.

sarjhardy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently found a low glycemic index breakfast cereal at Ocado which I really enjoy with fresh fruit and plain yogurt

Tenzarin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eggs, bacon, high-meat sausages, cheese (not necessarily all of the above at the same time :D)

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
BACON
Eggs are good - scrambled, omelette, fried.
Also peanut butter mug cake with cream
I make a kind of spinach & egg bread replacement and keep it in the fridge. A couple of slices of that with some cheese melted on top is good.
Sometimes I just have a fat & caffeine hit with a "bulletproof" coffee, which is basically a coffee with added fats. Some folks add butter, some add a dollop of cream, some add coconut oil. I've been known to add all three but that can be a bit much.

But BACON is my best brekkie friend.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, Sausages, Eggs all good. If I'm going to be leaving in a hurry I sometimes make a couple of cold sausages and a hard boiled egg to grab and go.

I was making my own Nut & Seed Granola to eat with Greek Yoghurt but it was a pain to make and cost a fortune so now I sometimes just have Greek Yoghurt with nuts and seeds chucked in, along with some berries, although too many blueberries can give me a spike, whereas Raspberries/ Strawberries/Blackberries don't as much.

I even eat 1/2 Lidl roll occasionally and I find if I don't try to think of it as a bread substitute it is moderately palatable.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An egg pizza...Make a fairly firm omelette with 2/3 eggs spread with pasata or tomato puree.. that is optional.. then top with ham, salami, cooked chicken, mozerella. sliced tomato or anything you like really sprinkle with plenty of grated cheese and put it under the grill until the cheese melts I usually have some spinach to eat with it

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Boiled eggs
Fried eggs with mushrooms, onions, sometimes gluten-free sausages, Black pudding, sliced roast pork or sliced gammon ham - but find bacon too salty now.
Frittata
Omelette - cheese, mushroom, smoked salmon, leftover vegetables, sliced bell and Romano peppers
Scrambled eggs with tomatoes or ham
Mozzarella ball if about to run out the door late
Smoked salmon and cottage cheese
Cold sausages if about to run out of door late

maisiepug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
idiots who think they know everything but they really know nothing
What time do you all get up in the morning for a cooked breakfast, I work from home but still don't have time to do anything like that, I would have to get up about 6 a.m. for an 8 a.m. start.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are right really only people who do not work have the time to cook a full English or even anything cooked. Cooked breakfast was something mums did back in the time when they did not go to work but looked after the home and children and breakfast was on the table when the family came down in the morning... that's just me being nostalgic and thinking how it was for my children growing up in the 60/70's

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are right really only people who do not work have the time to cook a full English or even anything cooked. Cooked breakfast was something mums did back in the time when they did not go to work but looked after the home and children and breakfast was on the table when the family came down in the morning... that's just me being nostalgic and thinking how it was for my children growing up in the 60/70's

I quite often cook my breakfast and I'm usually in the office by 8.30... I usually just time it so that it's happening while I am, say, in the shower

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I work full time, and always go for a quick easy breakfast, on weekdays.

Usually it is just a coffee with a good glug of cream (virtually no carbs in cream), or
crustless quiche
ham and cheese slices
sometimes I have cooked sausages the night before, and just reheat them in the microwave
There are some great egg muffin recipes (basically just egg and veggies) on the internet, that can be made, frozen and then reheated in seconds in the micro.
Greek yog with a few berries
left overs from night before
Lidl protein roll, toasted

It takes a bit of a change in mindset, but once you have made the transition, breakfast gets much more interesting than boring old cereal or toast, and can be very quick and easy,

D

Deleted member 219428

BACON
Eggs are good - scrambled, omelette, fried.
Also peanut butter mug cake with cream
I make a kind of spinach & egg bread replacement and keep it in the fridge. A couple of slices of that with some cheese melted on top is good.
Sometimes I just have a fat & caffeine hit with a "bulletproof" coffee, which is basically a coffee with added fats. Some folks add butter, some add a dollop of cream, some add coconut oil. I've been known to add all three but that can be a bit much.

But BACON is my best brekkie friend.

May I be bold and ask for the recipe for your PEANUT BUTTER MUG CAKE, sounds scrumptious!!!

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
May I be bold and ask for the recipe for your PEANUT BUTTER MUG CAKE, sounds scrumptious!!!
There are several versions around here, with folks adding vanilla, sweeteners, dark chocolate, etc. I've settled on a really quick & simple version..

Two big tablespoons on peanut butter in a mug (I use crunchy, but I think smooth would work.)
Add 1 egg and mix thoroughly
Microwave on full power for 90 seconds.
Munch.

I use Tesco's "Everyday Value" peanut butter. As well as being cheap, I learned on these forums that it's got fewer carbs than most peanut butters, so it's a win-win.

Enjoy

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Chia puddings are something you can make up-front and eat at home or take with you. I have one shift a week when I finish at 10pm one evening and start at 8 the next morning - I always have a chia pudding in the fridge for that early start an you can make it well in advance as it keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days.