Boots diabetic food range.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I'm over in the UK at the moment for my annual visit and couldn't believe my eyes when I went into Boots. They had a Diabetic section in the store and it had a 'food' range supposedly suitable for diabetics. They had chocolate bars, biscuits and other 'goodies', the carb content was higher than normal biscuits / chocolate. One bar I was looking at was 70 g per 100g of carbs.

Obviously I didn't buy anything and couldn't find an assistant to complain.
I looked on their website and they only mention they have the products and don't list them or their contents..........

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=852888

Surely there are laws against this ? I know where I reside (in Germany) these false diabetic friendly products were made illegal or could not be labelled as diabetic friendly!

Reactions: 7 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating low carb for diabetics is relatively new in the UK but the NHS guide lines still does not advise it so until they do these products will still be on sale

Reactions: 2 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It is the same in Germany. Low carb is not recommended and I've had numerous arguments with medical staff over the benefits of low carbing . The point is Boot's are falsely labeling products (and inflating the price) which is bordering on fraud.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some years ago, Boots stopped labelling these products as "diabetic". If I remember correctly it was after pressure from Diabetes UK. I remember being really interested and going to Boots to see if they had any kind of sign up saying something like "We stopped selling these foods are they are unnecessary" etc.

But all they done was relabel them as No Added Sugar or some such name. They all looked exactly the same apart from the name.

Now they've gone back to labelling them diabetic. I can only presume they don't want to lose their market.

Reactions: 3 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Now they've gone back to labelling them diabetic. I can only presume they don't want to lose their market.

Lose their market in ripping off diabetics :) The only truly diabetic friendly chocolate bars I've found on my visit to the UK are the atkins advantage bars, full of chemicals though but taste pretty good.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found a reference to it online if you're interested, along with a statement from Boots:

http://www.positivehealth.com/article/diabetes/the-illusions-of-diabetic-branded-produce

". A Boots UK Spokesperson commented: (March 19th 2010)
"Boots UK takes the opinion of customers very seriously. In 2002, on the advice of Diabetes UK we removed our Diabetic Food Range. However, we received significant, sustained customer complaints about the lack of a specifically labelled Diabetic Food range at Boots UK and we always listen to their feedback carefully.

"Our customers told us that they liked the peace of mind of being able to buy 'treat' foods clearly labelled as suitable for those living with diabetes. In light of this customer reaction, we took the decision to reinstate the Diabetic Food Range in 2005. The range is designed to offer occasional 'treat' food that those with diabetes often miss, such as no added sugar chocolate. These occasional foods are not designed to be a main part of a balanced diet. Boots UK recommends that people with diabetes follow a healthy, balanced diet with a wide variety of foods, and we offer advice and information in store and online and our pharmacists are available to help and offer lifestyle advice. We listen to our customers and care about their opinion – we are aware of the issues surrounding this type of range and carry out regular reviews." "

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And I don't disbelieve Boots statement for a moment. I remember watching an older couple tutting over the price of the diabetic jam and biscuits there. When they commented on this to me I enthusiastically explained they didn't have to buy special foods, and suggested some alternatives. Well, I may as well have had three heads the way they looked at me!

They obviously thought that the only 'safe' foods were ones labelled diabetic. It was sad.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
They obviously thought that the only 'safe' foods were ones labelled diabetic. It was sad.

That is really sad. You'll get the same blood sugar spike as normal chocolate / sweeties at twice the price

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When I was first diagnosed my mum would buy some of the Boots Diabetic Foods thinking I was missing out on treats, they had an awful laxative effect and you had to be careful how much you consumed, looking back the range wasn't even that nice :(

Surprised they are still on the go as DUK and probably most HCP's never recommend them.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a surreal conversation with someone a couple of years back.

He was absolutely indignant that Tescos didn't have diabetic icecream in stock.
I should have known better, but the guy was standing next to me, ranting, at the freezers in Tescos, threatening to put in a complaint. So I thought 'why not save the poor staff some aggro, and make this guy's day' so I stepped in.

I politely explained that if he looked at the carb content of the other icecreams, and picked the lowest possible - which would probably be the best quality one (Haagen Daas, or similar) - he would end up with one that was better for him than anything labelled 'Diabetic'.

Silly me. He redirected his annoyance to me, the ignorant person who had no idea what a terrible life he led as a diabetic.

I suppose he was right about one thing - I have no idea what how terrible his life is. All I know is that mine, as a type 2, is pretty d*mn good.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only piece of good and accurate advice I got from my diabetes nurse when I was first diagnosed was to avoid foods labelled in any way as diabetic. So sometimes they can get things right! :p

Robbity

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Very sad isn't it. As the Uk (and European?) establishment won't admit that carbs are a problem due to the food industry lobby we can't expect Boots etc to do anything different. Where is the EU on all of this? I always tell the family to avoid anything 'for diabetics' if they are buying for me.

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm over in the UK at the moment for my annual visit and couldn't believe my eyes when I went into Boots. They had a Diabetic section in the store and it had a 'food' range supposedly suitable for diabetics. They had chocolate bars, biscuits and other 'goodies', the carb content was higher than normal biscuits / chocolate. One bar I was looking at was 70 g per 100g of carbs.

Obviously I didn't buy anything and couldn't find an assistant to complain.
I looked on their website and they only mention they have the products and don't list them or their contents..........

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=852888

Surely there are laws against this ? I know where I reside (in Germany) these false diabetic friendly products were made illegal or could not be labelled as diabetic friendly!

I went into Thorntons Sweet Shop in town yesterday and enquired about their diabetic range. The young lady showed me but also told me that from the beginning of next year it's going to be illegal to sell items marked as diabetic. They will be selling theirs as 30% less sugar.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
photzo.JPG

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The above post contains the 'evidence' :) Boots replied to me with some waffle saying no added sugar products is a treat for diabetics and when I pointed out the product still contains other types of sugar i.e. fructose I did not get a reply.

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@Wurst. very interesting, will have to look at this

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The above post contains the 'evidence' :) Boots replied to me with some waffle saying no added sugar products is a treat for diabetics and when I pointed out the product still contains other types of sugar i.e. fructose I did not get a reply.

I'd be tempted to chase up a reply to that! It's a valid point, after all.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hate the whole diabetic chocolate idea but I wonder if the 75 g of carbs per 100 gram is a bit misleading. They claim that these products are reduced sugar.
They have to include all carbohydrates on the label though and that includes polyols. So for example if you look at this one it has 55g per hundred grams of which 32g is polyol. http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-No-added-sugar-Belgian-Milk-Chocolate-Wafers-100g_982835/
They give a portion size of 2 wafers which is 7.9g of carbs of which 4.6g is polyol (so perhaps only 3.3 carbs that will effect glucose; although some people find they have an effect)

Of course the laxative effect of large amounts of polyols can be awful for some people.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They are everywhere such as thorn tons or supermarkets. Unfortunately I get given a lot because people feel they are treating me when they aren't. I've explained but the shop people retain the food is fine for diabetics so it's a war