Benefits of Reducing Carbs for Eyesight.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Since January of this year I made a concious decision to reduce my carbohydrate intake drastically down to about 60g carbs per day. This was taken after reading everything I could lay my hands on about carbohydrates and Blood glucose levels. I also read all I could on the Diabetes.co.uk website and information posted by many of the members who are now jetting between one place and another. 8)

Back in 2001 I was told after an eyesight test that I needed glasses for driving as part of my job. So I went off to my local Optician who again tested me and confirmed what I had been told. A prescription was issued and I eventually got myself some glasses.

Since that time after following the 'healthy diet' advice pushed by the NHS etc my eyesight got steadily worse and worse, resulting in new glasses virtually every year. Then something strange happened. I found after 3 months on the reduced carbs my eyesight appeared to have improved quite dramatically ? I found that while driving I no longer needed the glasses, in fact if I put them on my vision was worse ! I thought that this meant I was going to end up with more glasses ?

So, my Retinal Screening and Annual Eyesight Test was due in July so I went along last week to have it all done. I told the Optician about my eyesight and he thought I was mistaken. He checked everything out and we examined the pics of my eyeballs and he stated that there was no problems at all there.
Good news.

Then we came to the result of my eye test. He looked at the results and he checked back through all my results since 2001 and said he couldn't understand it ? My eyesight was almost perfect. My eyes were in better condition now than they were before my eye tests in 2001. He wanted to know what had changed ? So I told him how I had reduced the carbs in my diet and reduced daily Bg levels by half to around 5-6 daily. He seemed quite bemused by this. He told me I didn't need glasses any more for driving - the only downside is that my close vision is not as good so I now need to sometimes wear reading glasses for the small print. I can live with that.

So for those who think reducing your carbs is not a good idea ? Here is proof if needed of another benefit to those of us who do.

Ken.

inwales

I wonder if pre-diabetes is bringing in a lot of business for opticians?

An interesting survey, where do we get the funding?

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That's interesting Ken.

About 18 months ago I had to drop gluten foods from my diet due to severe intolerance. My husband decided to follow suit (he hates being left out of anything 'special'!) and give it a try. It took 2 or 3 forays back to gluten and the consequent fall-out to make him realise that he was a lot better off without it. The removal of gluten has contributed to a lower carb intake as we eat little in the way of anything processed or gluten-free carbs (he will just have a couple of GF biscuits in the morning with his tea). (I am diabetic - he is 'borderline').

The most noticeable thing was the lifting of his brain-fog, depression and the emergence of a much happier being (he's happier, I'm happier :p ) and that his Fibromyalgia seems somewhat better - going from him having to have a least 3 or 4 days every two weeks in bed to 3 or 4 or less each month or two.

Two weeks ago he went to the optician to arrange new glasses. He had noticed that he has been having to take his glasses off to read. The upshot was that his prescription has changed quite radically. He still needs some for driving and distance (the opposite to you - but then he always was short-sighted) but needs hardly anything for close-up. His new glasses are smaller and the lens is much thinner so they are lighter too which he is very chuffed about.

I am still waiting to see an effect on mine but then I cope with carbs a lot less than he does and have only just really reigned them in more severely..................

celiasjmb

Great news - and I'm inspired. I've been reading lots of the posts about low carb diet, and although I've been thinking of changing my diet for a few weeks now, I hadn't made the commitment. Having been diagnosed last October after a visit to the optician (thank goodness) who obvisouly knew I already had retinopathy and referred me to GP, I'm keen to do anything now so that my eyesight doesn't get worse as already I've been advised not to drive. The Collins Carb Counter I ordered arrived yesterday, but I can't read the darn things 'cos the print is too small so I'll need to get out the manifying glass :(

I'm not expecting miracles, and I'll be having some 'discussions' with professionals this week about medication (armed with the info you gave me Ken in the post on Ask the Experts re fluctuating vision), but it's great to hear about such positive results. I need a chauffer :)

Doczoc

celiasjmb said:
Great news - and I'm inspired. I've been reading lots of the posts about low carb diet, and although I've been thinking of changing my diet for a few weeks now, I hadn't made the commitment. Having been diagnosed last October after a visit to the optician (thank goodness) who obvisouly knew I already had retinopathy and referred me to GP, I'm keen to do anything now so that my eyesight doesn't get worse as already I've been advised not to drive. The Collins Carb Counter I ordered arrived yesterday, but I can't read the darn things 'cos the print is too small so I'll need to get out the manifying glass :(

I'm not expecting miracles, and I'll be having some 'discussions' with professionals this week about medication (armed with the info you gave me Ken in the post on Ask the Experts re fluctuating vision), but it's great to hear about such positive results. I need a chauffer :)

The very best of luck Celia!

peterp

Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread to add that I too have experienced an improvement in my eyesight after over a year on a low carb diet. This is the first time in my life (52 years thus far) that I have visited an opticians and been given a 'weaker' strength of lens.

I have been wearing varifocals for about the last 5 years and single vision lenses for 40-odd years before that. I thought that my eyesight was deteriorating because I had to keep taking my glasses of to read small print but was delighted to be told by a rather bemused optician that my eyesight had improved. He had no explanation other than 'it sometimes happens'.

Has anybody else experienced improved vision after a period of low-carbing? Is this another beneficial side effect along with the other well-documented benefits the low carb lifestyle?

Pete

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
These posts are encouraging!

I have had diabetic retinopathy for a number of years. Also had small bleeds and plenty laser treatment. Been cutting carbs back lately, so I am hoping that come November, when I am due a hospital check-up, I may get some good news too for a change.

Regards

Nigel

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Nice one Ken!
Just think how much money you'll save now you're able to read other people's newspapers on the bus!

I had the beginnings of neuropathy 9 years ago before I went low carb. All gone now.

fergus

Doczoc

peterp said:
Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread to add that I too have experienced an improvement in my eyesight after over a year on a low carb diet. This is the first time in my life (52 years thus far) that I have visited an opticians and been given a 'weaker' strength of lens.

I have been wearing varifocals for about the last 5 years and single vision lenses for 40-odd years before that. I thought that my eyesight was deteriorating because I had to keep taking my glasses of to read small print but was delighted to be told by a rather bemused optician that my eyesight had improved. He had no explanation other than 'it sometimes happens'.

Has anybody else experienced improved vision after a period of low-carbing? Is this another beneficial side effect along with the other well-documented benefits the low carb lifestyle?

Pete

People naturally becoming longer sighted with age, if you were short sighted before this could explain the improvement.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Anyone who has read John yudkin's "Pure, white and Deadly" will have found that all this stuff about the benefits of reducing carbs, was known in the 1960s and verified by experiment. Then along came the Fat/heart hypothesis( based on supposition and unsupported by evidence) and knocked the sound knowlwedge off its space on the shelves. Thanks Ancel Keys and the American sugar Boilers. :evil:

wallycorker

Yet another remarkable story Ken - Thanks for sharing it with us.

I never get fed up of reading the success stories on this forum.

Before they arrive here, people could be excused for thinking that it might be a depressing place.

In fact, it's anything but that as far as I am concerned!

John