dawn phenomenon question?

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I work a later shift - 3pm until 10:30. Therefore my whole day is 6 hours later. i.e I get up at noon and go to bed at 4ish. Does this mean that any dawn effect (liver dump) will take place when I get up or actually at dawn. Probably a silly question!! but my BS readings have been higher when i wake up - 6.5. Then they go down to 5.4 or 5.5 pre meal. I am doing intermittent fasting and so don't eat until Lunch (6pm).

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For you, a better name would probably be 'noon phenomenon'. However, if 6.5 is the highest you go, then it seems like you don't need to worry. Just in case, it might be worth doing a morning blood test to see if your blood sugars do rise around the 7-8 am mark.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a thought (nothing to do with your question :) ) having done shifts for 20 odd years , have you tried chilling for just a few hours after work and going to bed at half twelve or oneish which is closer to your body's normal rhythm , I was a health and safety rep for years and lots of studies showing how disturbing your bodies normal sleep patterns is very bad for your health..........

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your advice and yes I have read about the circadian rhythm and how it affects health if out of synch. i am trying to go to bed earlier but can't seem to get up earlier! Then i worry about being in bed for too long. Long term I think i will try to change my hours.

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I do OOH cover as the emergency vet my days can flip round; ie being up from 7pm to 8am. I find that my BG readings will also flip. So I have evening results in the morning and vice-versa.
I change my meals to suit and tweak my rapid.

One thing I don't ever want to do is have a hypo when operating so ensure during the night I take some snacks.

Have you got blackout blinds; as this will help you get better sleep during the day? Adhere to an alarm and consider an early afternoon nap after a light lunch.

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Dazza. I have ordered a blackout eye mask which may help.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be when you actually get up. Just make sure testing your BS is the first thing you do as soon as you get up as even pottering about for 10 mins or so before you test will have an impact on your numbers.