Low carb coffee shop treat

Goldiespring

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am doing really well with low carb. Was diagnosed 27th Aug and have lost 40lbs, doing very strict low cal and low carb. Am now testing bloods to reintroduce some carbs and see what quantities I can manage. I am quite desperate to find something I can have when I go out for coffee. I have been sooooo good just having black coffee but ache for a cake or sweet treat. I have recently started having one of the small dark choc bars they all seem to sell which are nice but they are not cake or pastries. Any ideas??? Or am I doomed to always being "good" as my friends call it??

Edgecop

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very similar story- shifted 15 kgs from LCHF diet moving BG down from 23 to sub 7 most mornings and 5's during day-I treat myself to any cake I fancy now for afternoon coffee and have relaxed the LCHF diet considerably- put on 1 KG which I can live with and BG show more or less no difference- short spike to 8-9 for an hour but then back to 5's-6's- fine by my standards, others might want lower with many reporting 4's but I have no great desire to get that low (not sure it would make any big difference- but I am a relative novice 5 months T2)- feel ok, so my advice would be try testing when indulging to see what impact it has on you- hopefully you can relax a wee bit

Goldiespring

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's really encouraging! I still have a lot of weight to lose and am hoping that when I have done that j will be able to begin to relax a bit. Are you now in a healthy weight range? I am going to get more adventurous and just test impact I think - at least then I will know!

Edgecop

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my opinion I am, not sure I win any awards 95KG - 6ft 1 with calf muscles the size of melons- always had super strong legs from multiple sports in my youth- think my ideal weight is 89-90kg on BMI but not sure that is realistic- having a small Op on my knee then I will hit the Gym and see what that does for BG's- have read it can be very confusing- BG goes up and then crashes etc.. will take some testing as all weight loss, so far, has been diet driven so will see if I can shift a couple of kg before Xmas. Wife thinks I am looking good so that is always a bonus!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try and go to Costas, rather than Starbucks or any of the other chains - because Costa will do an Americano and then add 'pouring cream'. I carry a small pot of erythritol in every bag or coat pocket. :)

Costa also do nutty flapjack bars. I can eat 1/2 of one of those without my blood glucose peaking too high. But i find them too sweet nowadays. They also do tiny little sweet things, like petit fours (at ridiculous prices) that have fewer carbs because of their size. Not tried them, but might be worth testing - if they appeal to you.

Smaller chains and small business cafes, are all a big unknown...

As for pastries, i gave up on them years ago. Although i can tolerate 1 small croissant, with lots of butter and no jam, if i sneak it in at the end of a large meal or Full English breakfast.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
If your blood sugars are normally good, in acceptable range then why not try something you really want and make sure you test before and after. We all need an occasional treat but make sure it is only occasional otherwise the weight might go back on, I loved coffee cake but haven't had any since diagnosis in February this year. I'm not sure if I had it once if I would be tempted to have it again and again. Cakes and pastries will not help weight loss so you really have to balance what you are trying to achieve.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that I can tolerate a scone with butter and clotted cream (no jam). I do get raised eyebrows when I ask for butter ("What, as well as the cream?") but was pleased with this discovery when on holiday in Devon and Cornwall this summer! I have also contemplated taking my own sweet treat into a coffee shop with me and, having established that they don't have anything I could eat, asking if it was ok to eat my own. This would be a lot easier in the summer if sitting at a table outside.

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to say I never had a sweet tooth.....now if they sold meat pies or sausage rolls, that would be a serious temptation. I think Mongolia's suggestion of bringing your own snack might be the best call. I am just glad coffee is one of the things I can continue to enjoy guilt free.....