LOW CARB: Shopping List.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Butter beans. Celery. Cabbage. Onions. Leeks. Cummin. Turmeric. Vegtable stock. And any veg you wish to add makes a great soup. My daughter was a vegetarian for years ate this. Or aubergines. Tin tomatoes onions red and yellow peppers. Dahl Addas (red lentils) Lima beans and red kidney beans. Chilli. Little ginger and carlic and 250 ml water make a great dish. Can cook and freeze for. Later.

Reactions: 4 people

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hummous aldi ( I make my own at times)
Pecans
Tahini( I use as butter w a little jam n bread)
Plain soy yoghurt(`free from` brand tesco)
Almond milk
Cocoa ((for the odd cup of comfort)
Xylitol
Spicy bean burgers (freezer aldi)
Olives
Dark choc
Berries
tomatoes
Rocket leaves
Flaked almonds( nice on plain yoghurt, with berries,maybe even a little grated dark choc )
Red wine
Popcorn ( I couldnt live without it)
Corncakes
Tapinade, if I come across it !
Salted pistacios.

Good list! We often have plain soya yoghurt with berries and nuts, and well reminded...Aldi's frozen burgers! Haven't had them for ages!

Reactions: 2 people

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ickihun, hope I've not hijacked your post by asking the vegetarian question! Sorry! It's just a struggle at times trying to find things that are filling when you don't eat meat, etc and are trying to avoid going down the route of too much bread, rice, pasta,etc

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good list! We often have plain soya yoghurt with berries and nuts, and well reminded...Aldi's frozen burgers! Haven't had them for ages!
The spicy bean burgers are hard to come across but they are gorgeous ! I do well blood sugar wise with 2 of them ,a couple of tablespoons of hummous and rocket leaves ,a little sliced peppers perhaps and a few baby tomatoes,maybe some thinly sliced red onions ,or olives or whatevever with a drizzle of olive oil ,cider vinegar,himalayan salt ,pepper. I was diagnosed originally with type 2 but dsn is convinced now I hav type1 1/2.. When I was in glyclazide I.would have only had 1 spicy bean burger.Now I can have 2 as I am dosing with insulin ,no meds but still some foods give me a spike 1 hour after meals which I am not happy about and am trying to avoid .I am definitely learning a lot though through keeping a food diary :)! Not easy though...Nothing about this condition.is .. but Im doing my best to remain positive which is so important and helpful :) ..Dont always succeed but I try...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi ickihun, hope I've not hijacked your post by asking the vegetarian question! Sorry! It's just a struggle at times trying to find things that are filling when you don't eat meat, etc and are trying to avoid going down the route of too much bread, rice, pasta,etc
@Moggies12 no problem. List is for everyone to enjoy. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I encourage anyone's low carb suggestions for our shopping list. Even repeats as I don't know about you but I'm not very inventive but will try something different if it's in my kitchen. :)

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Waiting to be used in my kitchen are oat bran, sesame flour and chia seeds.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

We have chia seeds and flax seeds ground up and sprinkled on top of breakfast porridge and berries. I tried grinding them with a pestle & mortar but was always left with horrid black bits of husk that got stuck between teeth! So now it's done with a quick zap in a coffee grinder!

Reactions: 5 people

Christy2010

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shopping List

Here's my attempt. I definitely need help thou.

Corned beef
Cheddar cheese
Almonds
Pork scratchings
Butter
Double cream
Eggs
Mayonnaise
Lidl's protein bread
Almond flour
Coconut water?
Sweetex sprinkles and tablets
Berries
Chicken
Bacon

What am I missing? Loads I bet. Please please help!
avocados
all nuts

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Hun,
I have been a bit lazy and skimmed thru earlier replies.So some of my ideas may have already been suggested.
Anyway Cheese!!! But what I mean is thinkin out of the box! Buy a couple of cheeses you have never even heard of before.Then see if you like em.There are so many varieties,all sorts of cheddars,soft cheeses,blue,hard cheeses like Spanish Manchego,or maybe a nutty flavour like Norwegian Jarlsberg or an Emmental.Or go back to our youth and get some dairylea or primula in a tube!!
The choice is huge, although I am worried I may be growing whiskers and a tail :-0

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... Anyway Cheese!!! ...
The choice is huge, although I am worried I may be growing whiskers and a tail :-0

Don't fall into the trap of scoffing too much cheese then!!:D:D

I'm another cheese lover but sometimes have to watch what I eat as it can be a migraine trigger - a real killer combination was blue cheese and red wine.... I don't make it but you can cook up a great stilton and cauliflower soup - so look for low carb recipes on the web,

If you like Feta cheese or hard English goats cheese, add fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, black greek olives and a bit of virgin olive oil to your shopping list.

Parmesan is another favourite of mine , make parmesan crisps in the microwave - just little heaps of it grated, plonked onto some baking parchment and zapped until it's crisp and lacey in appearance. It's also great in savoury muffins so add it together with some ground almonds or sesame flour, paprika, dry mustard, salt, pepper, butter, eggs, baking powder, and some walnuts to your next shopping list. Eat one warm. cut in half and buttered with a nice slice of cheese added.

Robbity

Reactions: 8 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't fall into the trap of scoffing too much cheese then!!:D:D

I'm another cheese lover but sometimes have to watch what I eat as it can be a migraine trigger - a real killer combination was blue cheese and red wine.... I don't make it but you can cook up a great stilton and cauliflower soup - so look for low carb recipes on the web,

If you like Feta cheese or hard English goats cheese, add fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, black greek olives and a bit of virgin olive oil to your shopping list.

Parmesan is another favourite of mine , make parmesan crisps in the microwave - just little heaps of it grated, plonked onto some baking parchment and zapped until it's crisp and lacey in appearance. It's also great in savoury muffins so add it together with some ground almonds or sesame flour, paprika, dry mustard, salt, pepper, butter, eggs, baking powder, and some walnuts to your next shopping list. Eat one warm. cut in half and buttered with a nice slice of cheese added.

Robbity
Wow Robbity,liking your thought processes!

Savoury muffins sound an essential ,is there any chance you have a tried and tested recipe??

I wonder if there is a medical term for cheese addiction??

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back to the OP's question.
I am also a fan of pate.Which I used to eat on toast.
Now I can be found just eating it by the forkfull. Again the variety is huge and I regularly go for mackerel,tuna or salmon and crab varieties as well as meat based.Mushroom pate is excellent too.
I like it with cucumber batons,or on it's own in salads.I am not a celery fan.But mostly on crackers made from Lidl high protein rolls,with thinly sliced onion,ground black pepper and some sort of chutney (sparingly!!).
As with cheese I am always looking to try new varieties.
Christmas is also a great time to stock up on pate in jars if you can.Most supermarkets offer fancy varieties with long shelf life.
I predict Christmassy tasting pate in May!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Redsnapper There's thread somewhere where I've listed my "universal" muffin recipes and options, I'll see if I can find it for you.

Robbity
Yes, I'd like it too, please. At the moment I either eat pate alone (by the spoonful)or with thin cut slices of toasted Lidl protein roll - but would prefer to have something that isn't full of seeds.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mother gave me a battered copy of Jane Grigson's 'English Food' She was the mother of Sophie Grigson and wrote a weekly column for The Observer. In it was a recipe for Mereworth Thin Biscuits which are great crackers. I'm going to attempt to make them with sesame flour at the weekend and see how they come out. I lurve pate, so does MrCeleriac.

http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/mereworthbiscuits.htm

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)