Creative Ways You Store Your Supplies/Medications?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Until two months ago, my "medical supplies" consisted of a box of bandaids and a bottle of Tylenol. Unfortunately, that has since changed as I'm sure it did for many people here after their diagnosis.

I wanted to see if anyone has any creative ways they keep their supplies organized?

For now, I bought the little organizer cups you see in the picture. It works fairly well, but I have another drawer (I'm too embarrassed to show) that is overflowing with the extra stuff that wouldn't fit.

My goal is of course to keep things accessible, organized, but also presentable. I'd prefer not to keep things inside of a fishing tackle box, lol.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    738 KB · Views: 287

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nothing creative, just a drawer in my bedroom which is used to keep all my diabetes supplies in.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Insulin in a medium sized tupperware box in the fridge, and other diabetes meds in kitchen cupboard with sharps bin, discreet and out of the way.

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
These days I keep my meds (non D) in a 7x4 compartment pill store.
Whilst on insulin, I kept long term insulin in a placcy box in the 'fridge, and my current insulin & tablets & needles/lancets/strips in a small camera bag.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a beautiful bright pink aztec patterned zip up case that is meant for some sort of computer tablet that holds my diary, meter, lancets and test strips and when I was on medication I used a pretty rose patterned pill box that organised my pills for a week.

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My insulin is kept in the crisper draw at the bottom of the 'fridge. The other tablets, meters etc seem to live on the kitchen table. Oh dear perhaps i'll be able to take on some of your ideas.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin in the butter dish in the fridge. Non-insulin supplies in the back bedroom on shelves. The insulin vial I am currently using is in the living room behind a photo frame.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I bought this place I learned that it had been used as a B&B for some years. A short time ago I put some racking into one of the (now) spare bedrooms. (There's posh ennit). I have a shelf in there just for medical stuff. All I have to do is climb over the other junk.

Reactions: 6 people

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just have mine stacked neatly alongside other medication for non diabetes problems on a table in the room I use as a home office. But above it I have instructions in case I am sick and phone numbers along with details of my current medication just in case I end up in a bad way and someone else has to either deal with me or talk to the medics.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Draw under the bed holds pump supplies and insulin in the fridge.

iHs

I have most of my diabetes bg meter cases, pens, syringes, log books stored in a large collapsible bag in the space between my 2 wardrobes. My pump stuff is also in a bag on top of the other one and the pump stuff that I am using is left in the large cardboard box that delivers the stuff to my front door and that is on top of the 2 bags.

Insulin has always been kept in my fridge door pocket.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear perhaps i'll be able to take on some of your ideas.
I had hoped we could each learn something new from this thread. It may seem silly, but there are those occasional times where minor emergencies (hypos) make it important to have your supplies organized and accessible.

But above it I have instructions in case I am sick and phone numbers along with details of my current medication just in case I end up in a bad way and someone else has to either deal with me or talk to the medics.
I really like this idea and I'm going to steal it to use myself.

I wear my type1 diabetes bracelet at all times (just in case) and I also have a emergency notes programmed in my phone. However, it would be good to have something hand written in the house or when I'm traveling just in case.

Thank you!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have a First Aid drawer in the kitchen and another in a side table in our bedroom. We have had these ever since we moved in, but husband checks them more regularly now, to make sure that we have things like plasters, Neosporin, Paracetamol, Loperamide, sugar free Rennies, box of individual eye drops, Piriteze, Chloraseptic throat spray, sugar free Strepsils, hand sanitiser, antiseptic cream, Inadine and surgical tape. It also contains tweezers, thermometer, blood pressure monitor, and a leaflet from GP surgery plus walk-in centre. It seems like we always get cold, dodgy stomach etc when shops are shut.

On my left wrist I have a Medic Alert steel bracelet as I'm allergic to penicillin.

I have a pill organiser in the kitchen and husband puts my morning Metformin in a cut glass Victorian duck eggcup on my bedside table. I have no idea why he did this.

Personally, I find the freebie meter 'purse' too small and fiddly, so I kept my meter, strips and lancets in a clear plastic zipped bag with ' Respect Your Selfie' by some designer or other, from last year Selfridges Beauty Box. That is, until I pricked my thumb and got an artery. I bled all over the fabric zip and ruined it.

So I'm on the look out for good ideas !

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Medication wise for me it's just insulin & the associated D management devices..
Everything being used is on the coffee table. I keep everything in plain view. They haven't noticed I'm Diabetic yet!
I have a ten year old black muti compartmental laptop backpack I use for out & about/traveling.. (Which also sits next to the coffee table when home.) The aforementioned backpack is also a familiar reference point in the event of a "hotel room hypo".
Spare sundries are in the studio..

The insulin goes in the fridge.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
test_kit.jpg

:D:D

More prosaically, spare test strip packs live in medicine cabinet in downstairs cloakroom, current week's medication, etc lives in AM /PM weekly pill organiser box, and the rest of the packs live in paper bag from surgery; spare test stuff & batteries live in a RUB (Really Useful Box) - all on/under bedside table & computer desk in bedroom. But I'm basically a "Mrs Messy" and RUBs in various sizes are my salvation.

Robbity

PS What's wrong with fishing tackle boxes or "baby boxes" for that matter? :wideyed:

Reactions: 4 people