Hypertension and Blood Pressure Medication

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feeling fed up and not very well :(

I was prescribed BP meds on 16 October due to recent high readings. They were 206/109 and 188/100 and have been high since diagnosed with diabetes in Sept this year. I went onto Lisinopril and ended up with a dry mouth and an ongoing cough disturbing my sleep as well as daily headaches, retching and vomiting due to the coughing and just feeling exhausted.

I'd had enough by today although I continued to take then and this morning I phoned the surgery. I explained the problems and how rotten I'd been feeling and was told my Dr would do a telephone appointment between 12-1pm. I had to chase this up as she'd not phoned by 1pm or by 1.30pm but she did then phone.

I was told that the initial starting dose of Lisinopril was a bit high and she's changed it to Amlodipine (5mg daily) and I have to see her again in 4 weeks for a review (no repeat given for this med). She didn't prescribe the initial BP meds as this was prescribed by a nurse practitioner.

This is costing me a bit now (I have to pay as I'm not on meds for my actual diabetes) so I'm hoping I'll feel better on these as due to feeling low due to side effects I've succumbed to a few carb fixes over the last few days :oops: Is anyone else taking Amlodipine at all? And if so, what is your experience of this medication?

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ask your doctor to put you on the list for exemption, as you are diabetic.
He may listen if you tell him that you can't afford the meds for other conditions.!
You never know!
I have had hypertension and have been taking Irbesarten for over fifteen years.
Don't need them now, but doctor says keep taking them!

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking amplodine for the last 5 years along with bisopropal and clopidogrel as well as Gulvas for my diabetes after suffering 2 strokes.
My blood pressure is now under control after being in the 200 's to around 120/80 no side effects with amplodine either

Reactions: 2 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi tigerlilly,
I was on Amlodipine for some years but I found it was causing me to have very painful hip joints. It does cause tissue to become swollen.
I have been on most bp meds during 30 years htn.
regards
Derek

Feeling fed up and not very well :(

I was prescribed BP meds on 16 October due to recent high readings. They were 206/109 and 188/100 and have been high since diagnosed with diabetes in Sept this year. I went onto Lisinopril and ended up with a dry mouth and an ongoing cough disturbing my sleep as well as daily headaches, retching and vomiting due to the coughing and just feeling exhausted.

I'd had enough by today although I continued to take then and this morning I phoned the surgery. I explained the problems and how rotten I'd been feeling and was told my Dr would do a telephone appointment between 12-1pm. I had to chase this up as she'd not phoned by 1pm or by 1.30pm but she did then phone.

I was told that the initial starting dose of Lisinopril was a bit high and she's changed it to Amlodipine (5mg daily) and I have to see her again in 4 weeks for a review (no repeat given for this med). She didn't prescribe the initial BP meds as this was prescribed by a nurse practitioner.

This is costing me a bit now (I have to pay as I'm not on meds for my actual diabetes) so I'm hoping I'll feel better on these as due to feeling low due to side effects I've succumbed to a few carb fixes over the last few days :oops: Is anyone else taking Amlodipine at all? And if so, what is your experience of this medication?

Thanks for reading :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
amlodopine 5mg gave me immediate overnight swelling of the ankles and then developed a rash just above the ankles on both feet after 3 weeks -- immediately removed from this and put on doxizosin 2mg -- no side effects

lindisfel

Expert
Hi tigerlilly and him too,
I am on 2mg doxazosin also, two mgs is a low dose. Higher doses can give one urine leakage problems.
I had to change from an ace inhibitor, you are having the standard side effects.
Losartan potassium is usually the drug one is put on because it works further up the chain than the ace inhibitor and one should not get the cough etc..I didn't.
regards
D.

amlodopine 5mg gave me immediate overnight swelling of the ankles and then developed a rash just above the ankles on both feet after 3 weeks -- immediately removed from this and put on doxizosin 2mg -- no side effects

C

catherinecherub

Not everyone responds to blood pressure medications in the same way @tigerlily72.

It may take a while to get the one that suits you and it may also mean that you need a combination.

This article explains about the medications available,

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Medicines

and this describes what may be right for you.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Medicines/Choosingmeds

See if you meet the criteria for cheaper prescriptions.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

Sometimes high BP is the result of genetics and isn't exclusive to diabetics.

Reactions: 6 people

lindisfel

Expert
Actually Catherine most htn is described as essential hypertension. That means doctors do not know the reason for having it - it is anything but essential!
What is absolutely essential is that we get the right medication. It took 30 years of htn to get me put on the right med.. the aldosterone antagonist eplerenone.
regards
Derek

C

catherinecherub

Tell me about it @lindisfel,
I have had essential hypertension for 42 years and throughout that time I have been given a regime that worked but eventually had to be changed after months and sometimes years as it didn't work any more. I don't think there is any guarantee that a regime will work forever as I found in my case.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ask your doctor to put you on the list for exemption, as you are diabetic.
He may listen if you tell him that you can't afford the meds for other conditions.!
You never know!
I have had hypertension and have been taking Irbesarten for over fifteen years.
Don't need them now, but doctor says keep taking them!

I don't think I'd be eligible for an exemption certificate as I'm NOT on any meds for my diabetes and am controlling with diet only at present. I believe you have to be on medication for your actual diabetes to get one don't you?

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not everyone responds to blood pressure medications in the same way @tigerlily72.

It may take a while to get the one that suits you and it may also mean that you need a combination.

This article explains about the medications available,

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Medicines

and this describes what may be right for you.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Medicines/Choosingmeds

See if you meet the criteria for cheaper prescriptions.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

Sometimes high BP is the result of genetics and isn't exclusive to diabetics.

Thanks for this :) I will have a good read. My Dr did say when she prescribed the amlodipine that I may need something else as well or something different. I still feel awful and as I type this I have a banging headache - not sure if it's due to the high blood pressure or the side effects of the lisinopril, or both! :arghh:

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sincerely hope it doesn't take years to get my HBP medication "right" as I feel awful at the moment and much worse than before I started taking it. I'm very fearful of the consequences of not taking it as my BP readings have been so high (over 200 and high 180's). I thought I was doing ok trying to cope and manage my recent diabetes diagnosis but now I feel quite low and am succumbing to some foods I really shouldn't eat and comfort eating a little! :depressed:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't think I'd be eligible for an exemption certificate as I'm NOT on any meds for my diabetes and am controlling with diet only at present. I believe you have to be on medication for your actual diabetes to get one don't you?
Not in my case!
I was told that mine would stop because I'm not diabetic!
However, because I needed them to continue to monitor my bloods, with my consultants insistence, he bowed to the pressure and on my prescription is written for reactive Hypoglycaemia, requiring frequent testing!
You won't get if you don't ask!!
No harm in asking is there? Especially if you can't afford your prescription, where do you think we are? Tory Britain?

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Tigerlilly,
If you do have to pay did you realize you can get a sort of season ticket that reduces the cost over time.
regards
Derek

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Tigerlilly,
If you do have to pay did you realize you can get a sort of season ticket that reduces the cost over time.
regards
Derek

Hi and thanks for this. Yes, I've found out you can get a pre-payment certificate for either 3 months or 12 months. As I currently have 2 items each month I should save money by getting the 3 month one at least.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was finally able to come off my hypotension medication by taking CoQ10 and making sure my electrolyte balance was good. Might be worthwhile testing to see if it helps you.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was finally able to come off my hypotension medication by taking CoQ10 and making sure my electrolyte balance was good. Might be worthwhile testing to see if it helps you.

I'd never heard of this so just googled it. There are both pro's and cons from what I can see. Apparently it does affect some antidepressant medication so I'd need to check that as I take citalopram. It also states it lowers blood sugar so again, as my figures aren't too high (the max I've been is around the low to mid 9's), I'd need to do some careful research. But thank you :)

Marjack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant attitudes towards other people
Hi Tigerlily, I have been on BP medication since the age of 24. Every few years I have to change as my BP starts to creep up. My doctor keeps saying to me it's not a problem as there are so many choices of medication that there is always something different to try. I also have a pre-payment certificate for 12months and I pay for it on monthly direct debit.
Hope you find something that agrees with you

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Tigerlily, I have been on BP medication since the age of 24. Every few years I have to change as my BP starts to creep up. My doctor keeps saying to me it's not a problem as there are so many choices of medication that there is always something different to try. I also have a pre-payment certificate for 12months and I pay for it on monthly direct debit.
Hope you find something that agrees with you

Thank you :) I think I will need to get a PPC but will wait until I need my repeat meds (towards the end of this month) and get it dated for around then so I can make the most of it ;)

Marjack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant attitudes towards other people
Your welcome, try to apply before as it takes a little while for them to set up the direct debit

Reactions: 2 people