Home Blood Pressure Monitor - Recommendations please

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently on medication for hypertension (high blood pressure) and my Dr has recently told me that as I'm "young" I really should really be monitoring it (I'm 43). She recommended that I buy a monitor so that I can keep a check on it (it's recently been 206/109 and 188/100).

Although I don't have huge arms I need one with a large/adjustable cuff as the one we had given to us by a family member wasn't any good as the cuff flew off when I tried to use it!!!

I have seen one that fits around the wrist on Amazon although I must admit I always thought blood pressure was taken using a cuff on the upper arm. I'll attach the link . . .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/... large cuff&qid=1446241777&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank You :)

Reactions: 2 people

chris2512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on medication for high blood pressure too, I have tried the cuff type (we have one at work) and found the readings not very consistent, but it may of been a cheap one? If i were to buy one I would go for an upper arm type. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Omron make the best bp monitors and you often see them being used in gp surgery's and hospital wards/clinics.

Not sure if the advice has changed but when I first purchased my own bp monitor I was told the upper-arm cuff are more accurate than the wrist type.

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I concur with @noblehead, I was told that the upper arm cuff models were more accurate than wrist ones.
BTW the Omron M" basic ones can usually got from ASDA for £10 - £15.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on medication for high blood pressure too, I have tried the cuff type (we have one at work) and found the readings not very consistent, but it may of been a cheap one? If i were to buy one I would go for an upper arm type. :)

I'm just wondering how reliable some machines are . . . .? Probably best not to buy too cheaply!

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Omron make the best bp monitors and you often see them being used in gp surgery's and hospital wards/clinics.

Not sure if the advice has changed but when I first purchased my own bp monitor I was told the upper-arm cuff are more accurate than the wrist type.

Thank You :) I'll have a look at the Omron ones. Like I said, I'd never heard of blood pressure being taken via the wrist so agree I need the upper arm cuff type.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I concur with @noblehead, I was told that the upper arm cuff models were more accurate than wrist ones.
BTW the Omron M" basic ones can usually got from ASDA for £10 - £15.

I didn't realise that Asda sold them, but thinking about it the bigger Asda's (Walmart) will do. Our nearest Asda Walmart is at Bristol Cribbs Causeway so if I don't see one on Amazon or being sold in a pharmacy I'll have a look next time we're shopping at Cribbs Causeway :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Not just the biggest ones, should be with any ASDA that has a pharmacy!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I didn't realise that Asda sold them, but thinking about it the bigger Asda's (Walmart) will do. Our nearest Asda Walmart is at Bristol Cribbs Causeway so if I don't see one on Amazon or being sold in a pharmacy I'll have a look next time we're shopping at Cribbs Causeway :)

Amazon sell them, that's where I've purchased my last two monitors.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I decided to monitor my BP (I tend to have White Coat Syndrome), I looked around, and would usually have gone with Omron, as a solid reliable brand of some reputation, but "Which?" had just done one of their comparative reports where a Llyods Pharmacy model came out best in terms of reliability, value for money and calibration with a "professional" model. On offer, if I recall, it came in at about £15.

On a general note, the report I ready didn't rate the wrist cuffs too well at all. Most manufacturers do a variety of cuff sizes you can select at the point of purchase. Indeed, you may be able to simply buy a larger arm cuff for the model you already have?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an Omron, got it from Amazon ..it was on a lighting deal ..I also suffer from white coat syndrome..

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have an Omron, got it from Amazon ..it was on a lighting deal ..I also suffer from white coat syndrome..
Exactly the same as Enclave.

I have an Omron M10-IT. I take it in to show nursie my results and she is happy with that.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Tigerlilly,
Don't get a wrist one the upper arm type work better, I have an Omron and it has been very reliable.
With htn at such an early age the medics need to eliminate an adrenal problem.
Some have been cured when the adrenal has been giving out abnormal hormones.
regards
Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

Marjack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant attitudes towards other people
I have used an Omron for over 10 years. I have always found it to be accurate. I have checked it against the surgery one and got the same readings.