Low

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I swim and run. I find if I reduce it an hour and half before it better than any other time as 2 hours sends me hyper

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What level of intensity:-
moderate - feels like you could keep going for ages, short of breath but can hold short conversation
vigorous - on the verge of becoming uncomfortable, short of breath , can speak a sentence.
very hard - difficult to maintain, can hardly breath, can't speak

how close to food bolus either before or after?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do light to moderate. Food bolts after I tend to have about 4 hours after. Before anywhere up to 3 hours

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it is more than 3 hours since you have had a food bolus you probably need to take extra carb aroung 50g for each 100kg of body weight for each hour. Also lower basal to 80% for at least one hour before and after activity (if you do activity regularly then this should be long enough to reduce basal by). Then for your post meal bolus only take 85% of what you would normally take.

This is assuming you are in target when you start activity, if you are higher then reduce the amount of carbohydrate you have before starting if lower have a bit more.

This is just a starting point then you can tweak as required, I think teh reduction in post mean bolus is important, and this is for moderate activity endurance sports.

Reactions: 2 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi fairy lights I'll give it a whirl on Tuesday and let you know the results. What do you think if I eat 2 or 1 hour before swimming?

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you will swim for 30 mins or less bolus 90% the meal before - if more than 30 minutes try bolus of 75% the meal before, of course if it is then more than an hour before you go swimming your BGL will rise a little. You should probably still bolus 90% fro meal after swimming as well.

I am still working on this too but my DSN is being really helpful as I find exercise difficult too!

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apply to go on the Animas Sports Weekend and it will change your life! You have to pay around £130 I think, but it's worth every penny and more. Great sports facilities at Loughborough Uni, great Drs to teach you, dozens of DSNs to support and best of all, about 100 wonderful other type 1s to chat and have fun with. (Food and accommodation are first class - no student digs). Google it for the contact email and apply early as it fills very fast.

Reactions: 5 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow that weekend looks awesome!!! Thank you so much for telling me I've emailed them asking for up and coming dates so who knows

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've spoken to them they haven't arranged the next one but I've asked them to keep me posted so

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I'm doing something of low to moderate intensity (swimming, walking, jogging) I expect my levels to steadily drop, so I would drop my basal to about 50% for about an hour beforehand then I don't wear my pump at all while exercising.

If I'm doing something fast or intense (for me weightlifting, spin class, sprint session) I tend to spike up then crash down later, so I'll bolus about an hour or two before to avoid the initial spike, then drop my base rate as previously.

Hope things start to get easier for you; I'm dealing with a lot of fluctuations at the moment so I know how awful it can feel. But there will be a solution out there! R x

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aw thank you all for feedback. I've been told that if I stop my pump for exercise I could bring on keystones I don't know if other have been told that? I'm now on the waiting list for the sports day and my doctor has still not made a decision. A friend of mine told me yesterday she is going to look into raising the money with me. I'm very lucky with all the support I'm having from all in my life so I'd like to thank now to everyone for your encouraging,helpful and beautiful words it means so much