Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Same here. It got so bad at one point that I got my husband to shave off what was left and bought a collection of wigs. It started to grow back when I went on to insulin and started with a very good multi vitamin tablet each day which is why it's a huge experiment to low carb and come off the insulin. It seems to be okay so far.

Incidentally it wasn't just the hair on my head that I lost, I also lost eyebrows, eyelashes, etc... everything.

Weirdly it grew back a different colour but it's still very fine.

I use the VO5 plump it up weightless mousse for volume andthe Elvive shampoo and conditioner recommended above.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here. It got so bad at one point that I got my husband to shave off what was left and bought a collection of wigs. It started to grow back when I went on to insulin and started with a very good multi vitamin tablet each day which is why it's a huge experiment to low carb and come off the insulin. It seems to be okay so far.

Incidentally it wasn't just the hair on my head that I lost, I also lost eyebrows, eyelashes, etc... everything.

Weirdly it grew back a different colour but it's still very fine.

I use the VO5 plump it up weightless mousse for volume andthe Elvive shampoo and conditioner recommended above.
. I have same problem, it's not just hair on my head, it's every where, doctor says it's not medicine, said medicine does not do that, I don't know but I've had long hair all my life and now to see it falling out in handfuls is really upsetting, I can't afford wigs, pray it doesn't get to that but I think I will be completely bald by Xmas if not before. Hope things work out ok for you

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
. I have same problem, it's not just hair on my head, it's every where, doctor says it's not medicine, said medicine does not do that, I don't know but I've had long hair all my life and now to see it falling out in handfuls is really upsetting, I can't afford wigs, pray it doesn't get to that but I think I will be completely bald by Xmas if not before. Hope things work out ok for you
What vitamin do you use? If you don't mind my asking? Have you tried diabetone? Is it any good or did you use a hair vitamin. Thsnks

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all, I too have lost a lot of my hair and the top of my head is just covered by a very thin layer, and yes my pony tail is getting thinner by the week, and yet the amount of hair in the shower drain is so much I do wonder were it comes from, more in the drain than on my head.
I have not heard or read very much about metformin having an effect on hair, more research needed here. There are various hair treatments and vitamin and mineral combinations to help with the problem, I have tried a few and did not notice any changes, but I think it needs a long period of time for the effects to be seen, but what do you do when you have run out of the product (s) and you are skint, and have to wait to buy more?, that question will have to wait to be answered, but will any improvement fall out??? any way things need testing and progress measured, ttfn from Karen.

Reactions: 2 people

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have experienced this - diagnosed in May, metformin 500mg per day
having said that, anyone got a recommendation for a hair-thickening product? Apart from dirt and grease, natch.
HbA1c 53 (May 2015)
HbA1c 42 (July 2015)
Yes, although I'm in the States and not sure it's readily available in the UK: Biotin. It has helped me terrifically with my hair and nails. It's an over-the-counter (OTC) vitamin supplement here.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Many diabetics go undiagnosed for several months, or even years, before their symptoms reach a point where they require medical intervention. During that time blood glucose levels are higher than they should be. The scalp, & hair follicles in particular, are damaged when blood glucose is higher than normal, and for an extended period of time. As it would be when not yet diagnosed. It's then the hair follicles are compromised & hair loss becomes evident. This is more noticeable on the top of the scalp. But hair loss is widespread over the whole head. High BG affects hair quality too. So, what hair you do have is thinner & weaker too. The scalp may also be prone to itchiness & scabby areas too when glucose levels are high. Shampoo containing Neem oil can make a big difference when the scalp has broken, scabby areas.

Diabetes is a physical shock to the body. The blood is meant to be Oxygen rich, and when glycated, O2 is depleted. Obtaining good glycaemic control is the only way to correct this. Obviously, a richer blood supply increases the bodies homeostasis attempts, which benefits all organs of the body, as well as the scalp & skin.

Hair loss can be attributed to certain medications. But research suggests it is the uncontrolled BG that is the greatest threat to scalp/follicle health rather than the medication.

Any supplement needs to be taken consistently for several months in order to make a difference to the hair quality & scalp health. This is because the hair follicles have a 6 week life before renewing. And, each different hair is at a various stage of the growth/renew cycle. Which is why improvement can be seen after a number of months, and not immediately as we would all like it to be.

Perfectil has made a difference to me. But i have been taking it now for 6 months. Caffeine & thickening shampoos can help mask the problem of thinning hair on a temporary cosmetic basis. Long term, the only answer is tight glycaemic control. I hope this distressing consequence of being a diabetic can be effectively managed by us all. Good luck folks. Best wishes. X

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

Edgecop

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting, my hair has been thinning for years, so have my brothers but maybe I will have a look at PerfectilAlisonjane10 - sounds the most plausible suggestion allied with BG control, alternatively I will draw pictures of rabbits on my head- they look like Hares from a distance:)

Reactions: 6 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have done a lot of research into hair loss as losing my hair has rather depressed me, biotin isn't proven for hair in fact some say it's no good but of course it's trial and error, one woman said after many months she had hair growth but problem was she had to shave most days every where in fact she said she now has a beard! Which she can't shift!! I think it's cos I had high bgs and didn't know. Was complaining to doctor how I felt, had bad thrush for months also, finally my sugars were 24.3! Told that's 13.2 Hbc1a. that's what doctor Said. Also meds don't help. I'm going to try perfectil. Good luck to us all.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do any of you take vitamin supplements? Do any of you use diabetone? Saw it in boots, being ex smoker vitamin A isn't good for smokers that's the problem, any advice very welcome thanks. I'm having first eye op on December 1st risk if I have it risk if I don't as I've got macular and cataracs in both eyes and had lazer for bleed in one and vitorous detachment in other. My vision is getting worse now so all help welcome thanks

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hair is thinning a lot. Not on Metformin so I assume it's the diabetes. My blood sugars are now moderately under control so I wonder if in time it will thicken a bit. Age doesn't help though.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Interesting, my hair has been thinning for years, so have my brothers but maybe I will have a look at PerfectilAlisonjane10 - sounds the most plausible suggestion allied with BG control, alternatively I will draw pictures of rabbits on my head- they look like Hares from a distance:)

Lol @Edgecop. You need a poke in the eye for that terrible joke. :rolleyes:;)

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have done a lot of research into hair loss as losing my hair has rather depressed me, biotin isn't proven for hair in fact some say it's no good but of course it's trial and error, one woman said after many months she had hair growth but problem was she had to shave most days every where in fact she said she now has a beard! Which she can't shift!! I think it's cos I had high bgs and didn't know. Was complaining to doctor how I felt, had bad thrush for months also, finally my sugars were 24.3! Told that's 13.2 Hbc1a. that's what doctor Said. Also meds don't help. I'm going to try perfectil. Good luck to us all.

Yup!! I hear ya @maureen5752. At diagnosis my BG was also above 24.0mmols. I had a sore, broken scalp, thinning hair, dry itchy skin, recurring thrush infections & the worst sinus infection ever. All of these ailments were diabetes related, and due to high BG levels. It was a scary time. Had I not found this website, & received wonderful advice from many fantastic, knowledgeable members, I think I may very well have died. It's the members of this website that make it what it is, and I'll never be able to thank them for helping me cope with my devastating diagnosis. The best thing of all is that I've been able to give back. As I've learnt to effectively manage my blood glucose with the advice I received, I've been able to help & advise the newbies on here who turn up scared & overwhelmed. Just like I was way back in February when I was diagnosed. It's worth putting up with the forum politics to be able to help others.

So, please forgive my indulgence OP, as I need to send a heads up & a never ending thankyou to the following very special members: @Pasha, @Mike D, @Brunneria, @AndBreathe, @Robinredbreast. X

Last edited by a moderator:

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup!! I hear ya @maureen5752. At diagnosis my BG was also above 24.0mmols. I had a sore, broken scalp, thinning hair, dry itchy skin, recurring thrush infections & the worst sinus infection ever. All of these ailments were diabetes related, and due to high BG levels. It was a scary time. Had I not found this website, & received wonderful advice from many fantastic, knowledgeable members, I think I may very well have died. It's the members of this website that make it what it is, and I'll never be able to thank them for helping me cope with my devastating diagnosis. The best thing of all is that I've been able to give back. As I've learnt to effectively manage my blood glucose with the advice I received, I've been able to help & advise the newbies on here who turn up scared & overwhelmed. Just like I was way back in February when I was diagnosed. It's worth putting up with the forum politics to be able to help others.

So, please forgive my indulgence OP, as I need to send a heads up & a never ending thankyou to the following very special members: @Pasha, @Mike D, @Brunneria, @AndBreathe, @Robinredbreast. X
You mention forum politics! What are they? I'm still learning, still quite ignorant about controlling bgs and diet so if there's any help and advice out there please be free to advise, I'd be most grateful. And thanks alisonjane you've cheered me up many a day with your jokes. Thanks

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello @maureen5752, I don't know about forum politics, only the ones that you are polite, don't be rude about other peoples posts, and give support to other members, those one's?.

Every diabetic has different things, that suit them and give the best support to help them achieve their goals. I post from my own experience and when I repeat information, I quote it as it appeared and give the source. I have learnt many things from this site and even defended it from the dietician who said to use the other web site, which is not very interesting. And eating carbs!!! To all who gather here, peer information is at a personal, I've tried this level and is their own, I keep learning, ttfn from Karen.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The scalp may also be prone to itchiness & scabby areas too when glucose levels are high.
How interesting. Before I was diagnosed, I developed a large itchy, scabby area on my scalp. I was sent to hospital to check it wasn't cancerous and was thankfully told it was just a benign lesion. However, over the last couple of months since being diagnosed, I have normalised my blood sugars and this lesion has completely disappeared. I never associated it with my diabetes until I read this post. You live and learn eh!

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @maureen5752, I don't know about forum politics, only the ones that you are polite, don't be rude about other peoples posts, and give support to other members, those one's?.

Every diabetic has different things, that suit them and give the best support to help them achieve their goals. I post from my own experience and when I repeat information, I quote it as it appeared and give the source. I have learnt many things from this site and even defended it from the dietician who said to use the other web site, which is not very interesting. And eating carbs!!! To all who gather here, peer information is at a personal, I've tried this level and is their own, I keep learning, ttfn from Karen.
Thanks for replying. Pressume those are the rules. Don't really know but obviously we are all polite to each othere. Have a good day and everyone else.

alive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does this vit b complex have any effect on blood sugar. I would like to try but don't want to see GP first.

I have not noticed any problems with my blood stats since taking the Complex Vitamin B.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello @alive, @maureen5752 and everybody else, well thinning hair is something we don't want to happen to us, but here we are. I am going to have to review my vitamin in take and my B's especially, there are so many combinations and with the minerals also.
from what I remember you have to keep going with the plan for a good few months before there is any progress and sometimes I feel sad and then I stop taking them, or run out and cannot get to the H&B shop to get a refill. If only the amounts I find in the shower trap was still on my head, it would not be so bad!!, just dreaming, ttfn from Karen.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @alive, @maureen5752 and everybody else, well thinning hair is something we don't want to happen to us, but here we are. I am going to have to review my vitamin in take and my B's especially, there are so many combinations and with the minerals also.
from what I remember you have to keep going with the plan for a good few months before there is any progress and sometimes I feel sad and then I stop taking them, or run out and cannot get to the H&B shop to get a refill. If only the amounts I find in the shower trap was still on my head, it would not be so bad!!, just dreaming, ttfn from Karen.
Same here had shower last night and more hsir in drain than ever, water didn't go down was standing in pool as hair blocked the drain. Went to H&B but they told me unless my blood tests showed a deficiency in vits don't take any as they could cause me problems if I don't need them. Have you had a blood test to check your b vits? Good luck

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi Folks

I found this interesting too - I used to have very thick hair but have noticed it thinning in the last few months - around the time of diagnosis in fact.

More particularly, I used to have pretty strong nails - I struggled to cut my thumb nails sometimes - but now they break very easily.

Both problems seem to have improved slightly since I got my FBG levels under control.

I am on metformin, which I have recently reduced from 4 to 3 per day and take a multi vitamin, Benfotiammin (B1), Alpha Lipoic aid and methyl cobolamin (B12) supplements in an attempt to help with neuropathy in my fingers and feet.

Far from causing problems, I found ALA and B12 particularly seemed to help with control, to the extent that I felt it sensible, after discussion with my DN, to reduce the metformin.