Type 2 Cataract surgery

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having my cataract done on 9th November. Nurse told me that I would be on antibiotics afterwards, will this have an effect on my BG? I do not hope so.
Thanks Carol

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No. You have to put in drops 4 times a day for a week. Doesn't affect your Diabetes. Your sugars might shoot up the day after. Good luck.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I've had cataracts done on both eyes but never given antibiotics, maybe she meant the drops you put in for a week afterwards, I did't have any problem with BG good luck with the 'op i'ts easy peasy, honestly

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Quite often you are given steroid and antibiotic drops to put in your eyes.
I was given both as take oral steroids every day it was the hospital policy to prescribe antibiotic drops as well just in case immune system was up the creek.

Reactions: 2 people

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Ditto on carbs rock reply,same as happened to me.....I'm on oral steroids daily antibiotics but after eye operations It was drops.....no reaction to b.s.........except day of op. got a bit anxious and went a touch high!!! But op was fine,even had other eye done 8 weeks later.....good luck....

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all, quite looking forward to the operation, at least I will be able to see out of that eye again. Other eye is starting to cloud up so will probably need that one seeing to as well.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thank you all, quite looking forward to the operation, at least I will be able to see out of that eye again. Other eye is starting to cloud up so will probably need that one seeing to as well.
Hi Carol, just to reassure you as well it's a painless op and over within about 15 - 20 mins. You will have a patch over your eye from the op time until the following morning. It can take a few days for your eye to settle down afterwards and vision to return to normal. I had to wear the patch each night for about 2 weeks I think it was. This is to make sure nothing on the bed linen could come into contact with the eye.
Most important though is you do exactly as your are told regarding putting the drops in.
The difference the op makes to how you see things in colour is amazing :)

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck for tomorrow. My most important memory after the procedure and removal of the shield was the trees. The color and seemed in 3D.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had both my eyes done this year and my distance sight is so much better. It can be a bit awkward sometimes having to use the drops four times a day for three or four weeks and to use the eye shield for two weeks at night but it is very important to do it and so worth it to have better sight. Good luck with yours

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Hulse

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had different eyes done by different surgeons (in the same hospital), and was given different drugs for each. There seems to be no consensus in the medical community. Afterwards I could drive without glasses for the first time in forty years.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good luck with your eye operation, I hope it goes well.
Best wishes RRB

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
GM it's a brilliant op. Cos the results are amazing ,easy to say but NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, I've had both eyes done now only need glasses for reading and such like

Johnroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
Good question. Thanks from me, got an appointment with hospital to take a look at mine. This answers a lot and helps settle my mind.
Cheers

BobCee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had the right eye done 6 days ago. Colours are brighter in that eye. There is an in balance between left and right eye which means I will have to have the left eye done as well. Currently using my old specs with the right lens removed to get the best results. I can read OK with out specs which was a no no before the cataract removal. I was given drops 4x a day for 2 weeks then 2 drops a day for 2 weeks. Also given eye ointment for 4 times a day for 1 week.

Looking forward to getting other eye done to become less spectacle reliant. Hope the slight AMD does not cause a problem.

soroba1951

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people!
Had my right eye done in April...brilliant! going to have my left eye done on 13th of this month and can't wait. As said previously, very painless, just have to lie perfectly still for 20 minutes or so.....that is the bit I found the most uncomfortable due to arthritis in back and neck, but well worth it. Eye patch for couple days and drops for 4 weeks.Good luck!

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I didn't respond to my original question. The operation turned out brilliantly. The first eye was done by a very stern sounding and looking lady. When she had finished the pre-op she asked if there was anything else I wanted to ask, I said 'please can you make me taller' she wasn't very stern after that and one of the nurses asked what I had said because they had never seen her laugh before. When she finished the operation she unstuck the green sheet over my face and said 'there I've given you a face lift as well. She was appalled that the state of my right eye because I have never been able to see anything but light and dark before now I can see brilliantly through it but quite long sighted now. I am so glad I had it done. Left eye took a bit longer to heal as I had a dry eye afterwards but it was done by a different doctor.

Peter Hulse

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Long-distance vision has been brilliant since the operations, but I now need glasses to read my insulin pen....