What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had two fried eggs, three slices of organic Black Pudding, a pile of onions and mushrooms. Husband cooked me way too much. Feel overfull. *sad face*

Reactions: 2 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Husband cooked me way too much. Feel overfull. *sad face*
Trying really hard to feel sorry for you after having your brunch cooked for you ;);)
B: few mouthfuls of yoghurt straight from the pot (was up late last night - or this morning should I say - waiting for an errant drunken daughter to get home!!). Wish I could say I never worried my parents this way but I cant! Karma eh?
L: celery sticks with pate cos I opened the pate for a snack last night and now will have to eat it up.

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
B. Usual Burgen toast & Cheddar
L. 2 home-made Turkey+chicken burgers, 2 eggs fried in olive oil
D. Roast chicken in bechamel sauce, 1/4 frittata, strawberries+ double cream
S. More cheese- yum!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B. Mug of white coffee with sweetener.
Skipped lunch - walked round park.
T. Mug of Black Tea with ginger and cinnamon. 1 no sugar ginger biscuit (but at 11g of carbs it was double that of a Rich Tea biscuit).
S. Two onion bhajis, with mug of Green Tea with lemon and ginseng. Edit: I ended up having 3 onion bhajis.
S. Some walnuts and a bit of Cheddar.

After 9pm a 187ml bottle of Californian Merlot, maybe two.

Last edited by a moderator:

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B. Mug of white coffee with sweetener.
Skipped lunch - walked round park.
T. Mug of Black Tea with ginger and cinnamon. 1 no sugar ginger biscuit (but at 11g of carbs it was double that of a Rich Tea biscuit).
S. Two onion bhajis, with mug of Green Tea with lemon and ginseng.
S. Some walnuts and a bit of Cheddar.

After 9pm a 187ml bottle of Californian Merlot, maybe two.
Are you making your own onion Bahjis? Are they Supermarket shop size? Thanks, for your reply.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today it was:

Brekkie: Fried Egg, 2xbacon, 2xchipolatas,mushroom

Lunchie: Chorizo, with Camembert, Cheddar, Olives, Gerkins, (tasted better than it types)

Din Din: Roasted Duck Leg, Cauli Mash & Green Veggies

First proper Low Carb day for a while after spending a few days in Lisbon and then a date night yesterday watching Spectre and having a Curry (no rice or bread)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B Soaked groats, berries, butter, coconut oil, xylitol, yoghurt
L Salad, pâté, almond bread, cheese
D Roast chicken, seasoned pork mince with grated onion & chopped mushrooms rolled in bacon, steamed veg, gravy (made with buckwheat)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Are you making your own onion Bahjis? Are they Supermarket shop size? Thanks, for your reply.
No I buy them from an Indian takeaway snack shop when I go shopping. They are usually about 3 for £1/1.20. I usually buy half a dozen which last me for 2-3 days. I have tried making them myself in the past, but they don't turn out as good. I don't like the supermarket ones, they aren't as tasty or spicy (not in a 'hot chiili' sense though thet do have little bits of chili in them).
The ones I buy in the Indian takeaway shops are bigger than the supermarkets, about the size of a lemon. I did have three for supper yesterday, but usually two. I don't know how many carbs they are, but the batter is made with chickpea flour so I guess they should be ok for diabetics.
I have recently bought a food processor so I might have another try at making them myself.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No I buy them from an Indian takeaway snack shop when I go shopping. They are usually about 3 for £1/1.20. I usually buy half a dozen which last me for 2-3 days. I have tried making them myself in the past, but they don't turn out as good. I don't like the supermarket ones, they aren't as tasty or spicy (not in a 'hot chiili' sense though thet do have little bits of chili in them).
The ones I buy in the Indian takeaway shops are bigger than the supermarkets, about the size of a lemon. I did have three for supper yesterday, but usually two. I don't know how many carbs they are, but the batter is made with chickpea flour so I guess they should be ok for diabetics.
I have recently bought a food processor so I might have another try at making them myself.
That's interesting, thanks. I have made my own, many years ago, as you know they are easy to make, but looking for an easier way, due to fractured arm. They are now on my shopping list.. Thanks again Prem 51....

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's interesting, thanks. I have made my own, many years ago, as you know they are easy to make, but looking for an easier way, due to fractured arm. They are now on my shopping list.. Thanks again Prem 51....
@MARGAR You might have to try a few Indian snack shops to find some that you like. There are only two shops that sell bhajis I like. Neither are near me, so I buy a few when I go to their locality.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@MARGAR You might have to try a few Indian snack shops to find some that you like. There are only two shops that sell bhajis I like. Neither are near me, so I buy a few when I go to their locality.
I'm not sure about "snack shops". .... I'm imagining restaurants where you can buy "take-away"??

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Still had to look groats up (hooray for google!) as I've never heard of em.
Yes, if you put groats into the forum search you'll see how boringly I go on about them but a dessertspoonful really is ok for me with plenty of fat and other stuff. It just makes a change for breakfast, maybe twice a week. Also I heard porridge provides "friendly bacteria" for the gut. I don't know what that is but it sounds, er, friendly.

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
B: 2 large boiled eggs, 1 slice Hovis seed sensation toasted and thickly spread with butter, half a red grapefruit.
S: 2 squares JD Gross Lidl 81% chocolate.
L: Didn't bother.
D: Chilli con carne with cauliflower rice.

Today
B: 2 egg frittata with cherry toms, basil, avocado and mozzarella. Lots of grated parmesan on top.
S: 2 squares JD Gross 81% Lidl chocolate
L: Will be hummus with crudité (radish, cu, celery, carrot, spring onion).
D: Will be hake poached on top of a soupy concoction of rosemary, garlic, onions, chorizo, kale, tinned toms and cannellini beans.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't eat bhajis, they're all too carby for me. *sniffle* Chick pea flour (besan or gram flour) is over 50g total carbs per 100g. Sesame flour at 6g and coconut flour at 9g per 100g net carbs are very low carb.

Breakfast today was a Bio-tiful Dairy live organic kefir. 11g of carbs in a 250ml bottle but lots of good bacteria and vitamins.

Sent from my Kindle using DCUK Forum mobile app

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Back to normal 3-10 shift, so

Breakfast: Coffee with double cream
Lunch: Grilled unsmoked mackerel fillets with a Lidl HP roll
Tea (at work): 170g Asda chicken breast chunks in a tikka marinade (baked), Avocado, greenery, 3 cherry tomatoes, quarter of a yellow pepper sliced. Nice and colourful.
Supper (home): probably a few Brazil nuts and/or salami

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm not sure about "snack shops". .... I'm imagining restaurants where you can buy "take-away"??
Yes you can usually buy them as 'starters' from Indian restaurants, but will cost more, and I'm not sure if they would be too happy with making just a starter to take away, but I suppose they would. When I have had them in Indian restaurants they are better tasting than from the 'snack' takeaways, but not so substantial.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't eat bhajis, they're all too carby for me. *sniffle* Chick pea flour (besan or gram flour) is over 50g total carbs per 100g.
I just weighed the two onion bhajis I have left. One weighed 48g and the other 60g. So I guess they would have an average of about 25-28 carbs each. I would have one for a snack with a cup of tea, or two or three for a meal, so it's not too many carbs for me.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just weighed the two onion bhajis I have left. One weighed 48g and the other 60g. So I guess they would have an average of about 25-28 carbs each. I would have one for a snack with a cup of tea, or two or three for a meal, so it's not too many carbs for me.
I've taken note of all the comments..I've got an Indian Restaurant quite near me, so will get a neighbour to ask if I can have 1/2 or even a dozen...I'll keep you posted..

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
According to my local Indian restaurant's menu they are £2.99 for a portion of two bhajis. But they are better than the snack shop's bhajis as they are made to order, not cooked in bulk.