Blood Glucose Checks

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
As a diet managed T2, diagnosed 2 yrs next month, I am interested to know how many others in similar situation actually check their glucose levels on a daily basis, the reason I ask is that I don't, as yet. I have got the Contour, which not yet used, but not only am I (I hate to admit this :oops: ) really squeamish with blood and needles, but I am afraid of becoming paranoid about the results and scaring the wits out of myself! Yes, this makes me a great big woosey, but in my defence I am really quite brave in many ways - I am a College Lecturer working with 16-19 year old students - that takes bravery :lol:

Sugar is sweet, but so am I

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.

I think that nearly everybody on this forum who is diet only tests daily, probably several times in fact. Depends what you want to know ?

As one who once WAS diet only you need to check those levels more than daily, you need to check to see what is happening to your body. If you don't check you have no idea what the state of your Bg levels are until you get a HbA1c test ? Bit late then to be told, your levels are too high - you need to go on Insulin. Think of the jabs you would need to do then. Nothing compared to a few daily finger pricks ? A finger prick of blood is nothing when you think about what could happen later in your life (complications) just because you don't like a lancet and blood. There is very ittle anyway ?

As for getting paranoid, well if you are that way inclined you will. I test anything from 4 to 8 times some days. That's because I want tight Bg control. I have seen many benefits from this, absolutely nothing negative. So if you think that's paranoia, well so be it.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am diet and low dose Metformin controlled( AND EXERCISE!) I test twicw most days. Fasting and one other time. I have to buy my strips so I can't really afford to do it more often, unless I'm not well. How on earth do you keep that BG down, if you don't know what it is?
Hana

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
PS
that wretched myth that we'll get obsessed if we test. I find myself getting VERY anxious if I don't know what's happening.
Hana

mogsta22

HpprKM said:
I am a College Lecturer working with 16-19 year old students - that takes bravery :lol:

Insanity more like. I did it for 17 years and got out 18 months ago when the depression of it all finally pushed me over the edge.

Rushy

You just can't control what you don't have information on!
If you know what pushes your levels up you can take action.

Spiral

I test several times a day (between 6-8) and supplement the 50 a month I get from the NHS by buying additional strips on eBay.

I don't see how you can hope to bring your blood sugar under control without doing this.

I have also seen posts where people are scaring themselves witless because they don't know what to do with the results or how to bring the readings down. That is not good.

I stopped testing for 5 days a couple of weeks ago, in the 5 days between my HbA1c and starting metformin :shock: I felt really out of control, even tho what I'd been eating had not changed.

I don't plan to test up to 8 times a day for the rest of my life, but once I am where I want to be I will reduce the frequency of the tests because it is bloody expensive. However, I do beleive it is worth it.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Hi All,

Many thanks for your informative and useful replies, you may well realise that I know I should be testing by the fact that I wrote the post :?

In terms of how I keep my sugar down, I am completely diet only and my glucose checks at the hospital give me my results, (touch wood, and so far - all good). I can see that if that should change, or if I feel any other symptoms that I will definitely need to change all of that and start testing myself, but my GP was hesitant about self testing when I mentioned it, this means that I am unlikely to get strips through NHS, but as I pay for prescriptions that may not make much difference at this time.

Finally, I am really not sure what to do with the testing, how to proceed and read and interpret the results - in addition there are many varied answers to how often and when to test. If for example I started at twice a day, would this be best in the morning and evening - and when I get up, before bedtime, or after my first and last meal of the day?

Again, all of your replies are invaluable to me - as you all know - this is this site :!:

Rushy

To begin with I'd just play with it and see which foods that you eat normally make your BG go high. Get used to the machine and the process of testing yourself so that you feel more comfortable with it. Once you're happy with how it all works and you know what to avoid that you might usually think was fine (I had a few surprises I can tell you) then get into a routine of testing your levels.
Most of us don't get an unlimited supply so you need to figure out what's best for you.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Hi - thanks for reply, and useful advice that I will probably follow,(yes this may seem silly :oops: ) but when do I test? Morning, evening, before and after eating - please :?:

ronjo94

Spiral said:
I test several times a day (between 6-8) and supplement the 50 a month I get from the NHS by buying additional strips on eBay.

I don't see how you can hope to bring your blood sugar under control without doing this.

I have also seen posts where people are scaring themselves witless because they don't know what to do with the results or how to bring the readings down. That is not good.

I stopped testing for 5 days a couple of weeks ago, in the 5 days between my HbA1c and starting metformin :shock: I felt really out of control, even tho what I'd been eating had not changed.

I don't plan to test up to 8 times a day for the rest of my life, but once I am where I want to be I will reduce the frequency of the tests because it is bloody expensive. However, I do beleive it is worth it.

Hi, I am a recently diagnosed t2, retired and on a low income. If you can get 50 strips a month it looks to me that I have to move to your area. The GP's at my local surgery will not prescribe test strips even though I bought a meter. I cannot afford to buy strips and have to rely on the minimal advice that I can get from my GP, such as avoid prcessed sugars, have 2 slices of wholemeal bread for tea etc. I have scoured the internet as well as this site and I find that there is so much diverse and conflicting advice that I do not know what to do. Good luck to all of you that are getting the required assistance

Rushy

This link may also help you with when to test etc.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/diabetesbloodsugar.htm

In the case of type 2 and a new BG meter which you are still working out how to use, I'd still say to mess around with it and see what foods make you go high, or when you feel ill, etc. so you're armed with the information you need to make good choices. Once you're settled and happy with it, drop down to testing less often.

HpprKM

Dislikes
LeanneHammer said:
i have the minni med 722 with the sensor that i cant stop wearing now. its a great litttle device that tells me if i am high or low.

Hi Leanne, this sounds great - where can I buy this, is it totally reliable (i.e. accuracy), and is it expensive - please :?:

HpprKM

Dislikes
Rushy said:
This link may also help you with when to test etc.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/diabetesbloodsugar.htm

In the case of type 2 and a new BG meter which you are still working out how to use, I'd still say to mess around with it and see what foods make you go high, or when you feel ill, etc. so you're armed with the information you need to make good choices. Once you're settled and happy with it, drop down to testing less often.

Everyone has been so wonderfully helpful - this in particular is easy to understand, thanks so much to 'fellow sugar free forumers' :D

HpprKM

Dislikes
mogsta22 said:
HpprKM said:
I am a College Lecturer working with 16-19 year old students - that takes bravery :lol:

Insanity more like. I did it for 17 years and got out 18 months ago when the depression of it all finally pushed me over the edge.

Maybe - a lot depends on who your students are, where and what you teach :!: I personally love it, most days, like any job there are days when I wonder why I am doing what I do, but I cannot visualise sitting in an office from 9.00 - 5.00 day after day again, been there, done that so to speak :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
HpprK
I'm always worried when I see that someone is being told their blood glucose is OK, when they are not testing regularly. Do you have any actual numbers? It's my experience that the medical profession says "OK" to levels which I would find totally unacceptable for myself.
My personal targets are: Bg NEVER over 6, ( although I only succeed about 95% of the time :) ) and Hb A1c in the 5s. That's on target at the moment. I aim to be at non-diabetic levels.
Once Bg goes over 7, you are in the zone where complications can start.
Hana

HpprKM

Dislikes
My GP does print out result and last one did show at 0.6 but getting another test in a week or so, then going to self test. Thanks for advice :D