Kidney test results

bronte

Hi,
Sorry it's me again but I have been to the docotors about my blood pressure and had another set of tests on my kidneys to see if they can increase the Ramipril from 2.5mg to 5mg.

Up until now the docotod and the DN says that my kidney function tests have been fine. Now they are saying that they aren't.

I asked for the results and they are as follows: (it has just occurred to me though that I should have asked for the previous one-I will do that):

Sodium 139
Potassium 5.2
Creatinine 102
Urea 5.7
GFR 56ml/mn
Stage3 CKD

I have only been doing the high protein in earnest for the past month can I still continue with low carb or am I doomed! They don't like me low carbing anyway and I should be eating my 40% of my diet from CHO!!! Sorry but I am really worried. I have had so much with lots of medical things since Easter and I am at the end of my tether with it all.

Please help and talk some sense into me and hopefully calm me down.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I have around 40% kidney function so a bit less than you. All the information I've obtained over the last few months has pointed towards reducing protein intake to try to extend kidney life. Not very compatible with the traditional low carb approach unfortunately - for example, no more than 2 eggs a week for me! And I have a very laid back healthcare team, certainly not in the anti low carb camp. The trouble is finding what you CAN eat on this ever-decreasing list of food types... :|

peppiB

I am the opposite. Since starting low carb all my blood tests have come back in the non diabetic range. My GP and DN strongly support the low carb approach. Bronte - those are very low doses of ramipril. Watch out for a cough when taking it though - it is a known side effect. I changed to irbestan because of the cough.

kegstore

Dislikes
peppi that's great news. Did you have any nephropathy prior to starting low carb, I think that affects the dietary advice regarding protein?

bronte

What can you eat now Kegstore please?
Will the Ramipril make any difference to kidneys if dose is increased as it is supposed to have protective factor?
Thanks

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
BRonte
Stage 3 Ckd isn't actually very serious. It's about what happens to anyone as they age. It can be improved by keeping TIGHT bg control( around 5) As long as you don't eat a pure protein diet, you shouldnt have any bother. High protein is only really dangerous to people on dialysis. My doctor gave me a fright about Stage3 CKd a year ago. I looked it up and got my results, which aren't bad enough to cause much worry. I just keep my BG below 6, usually around 4.8 -5.5

bronte

Thanks Hanadr,
Please can you tell me how to keep my bloods at this level?
I have written what I had for my day yesterday and my bloods so if you wouldn't mind having a look please?

I have been saying to my GP for the past 2 weeks that my BP was very high and they just don't seem that bothered. If they sort my BP will that make a difference or is it already too late?
FBG 5.1
Breakfast 31/2 oz chicken 2 oz mushrooms 1 egg
Before lunch 5.5
4 oz organic salmon handful organic spinach half avocado stick celery spring onion tablespoon hemp seeds olice oil and vinegar dressing
2 hrs later 6.1
1oz cheese and 1 oz walnuts
2 hrs later 5.1
Dinner 4 oz broccoli 4 oz prawns coleslaw salad made with brussels radishes and home made mayonnaise
2 hrs later 6.0
Bedtime 5.5 after an hour long walk
Thank you everyone so much for your support and help.

kegstore

Dislikes
bronte said:
What can you eat now Kegstore please?
Will the Ramipril make any difference to kidneys if dose is increased as it is supposed to have protective factor?
Thanks
Quite a lot of veg! But there's few foods I dislike so I never seem to have a problem. On average I eat around 100g of carb a day, which is not a lot, although that would be astronomical for some :wink:. I have followed the advice re: protein, but that's a personal choice only you can make from the information you have to hand.

Ramipril is primarily aimed at reducing blood pressure, the benefit to kidney health is secondary (although some may argue with that, as it is very good at protecting the kidneys). Any change in the dosage needs to be carefully monitored for any adverse kidney reaction, normally you'll have a couple of blood tests in the weeks following an increase in dose. I am on 5mg which I was told is an "average" dose, but I have other hypertension meds too. Very tight sugar and pressure control are the keys to prolonging the life of your kidneys now, so rattle your GP's cage as much as you have to!

I found the following link which explains quite well the various stages of Chronic Kidney Disease, plus related info: http://www.renal.org/pages/pages/other-info/ckd/ckd-stages.php Unfortunately the progression of CKD is difficult to map as it's not linear, but I certainly wouldn't be unconcerned about Stage 3.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi again bronte
I can't see any surplus carbs in your day. I can only suggest a bit of a cut down in total foods.
I eat a lot less than what you have listed, but then I have a lot of weight to lose.
What medication do you use, if any?

bronte

Hi,

I have lost 31/2 stone in as many months and I am still losing weight. I have a BMI of 27 but this will come down to 25 if I lose another 7 pounds or so. I am not on any medication except for the Ramipril.

I had a HA1C done at an open day at a clinic at the weekend and that had come down from 6.7 (at diagnosis) to 5.9 in 6 weeks if that's any help.

If I eat less I will lose a lot more weight.

Many thanks

peppiB

kegstore said:
peppi that's great news. Did you have any nephropathy prior to starting low carb, I think that affects the dietary advice regarding protein?

I had severe neuropathic pain in my shins and the top of my feet. The bottoms of my feet were 'dead' with no feeling at all. Podiatrist was suggesting suitable pain relief medication for me and issuing dire warnings about probable future amputations. Found this forum, changed my diet to very low carb, now don't have any neuropathy, no pain and have regained full feeling in the soles of both my feet. The podiatrist I have seen subsequently strongly disapproved of my new diet, but it has saved my feet!! My GP and DN are delighted with my progress - and so am I!!! I am also a stone and a half lighter than I was 3 months ago as well. :D

kegstore

Dislikes
peppiB said:
kegstore said:

I had severe neuropathic pain in my shins and the top of my feet. The bottoms of my feet were 'dead' with no feeling at all. Podiatrist was suggesting suitable pain relief medication for me and issuing dire warnings about probable future amputations. Found this forum, changed my diet to very low carb, now don't have any neuropathy, no pain and have regained full feeling in the soles of both my feet. The podiatrist I have seen subsequently strongly disapproved of my new diet, but it has saved my feet!! My GP and DN are delighted with my progress - and so am I!!! I am also a stone and a half lighter than I was 3 months ago as well. :D
All good stuff, except that nephropathy is a separate complication to neuropathy - latter is nerve, former is kidney. The reason I asked about it is that if your kidneys are fine there's no problem about increasing protein in your diet, which I understand is part of the low carb approach? However if you already have some kidney damage it may not be an appropriate choice, and options become more limited.

peppiB

kegstore said:
peppiB said:
kegstore said:

All good stuff, except that nephropathy is a separate complication to neuropathy - latter is nerve, former is kidney. The reason I asked about it is that if your kidneys are fine there's no problem about increasing protein in your diet, which I understand is part of the low carb approach? However if you already have some kidney damage it may not be an appropriate choice, and options become more limited.

Sorry - misread original post :roll: I have reduced kidney function - down to about 80% of normal so I am told, and my low carb diet has not led to any further degradation. My GP has not expressed any concern at my change of diet, she has been fully supportive.

zdzislaw72

Hi
I am having a problem with my blood sugar for last 3weeks it is been around 10-14mmol/L .
Two months ego i join gym to get on weight and i started with pure organic protein, after 2 weeks i did change it for high carbo Maxi muscle. That time my test was very good 5.5-6.5mmol/L i was happy cos i put on 4kg in two months but suddenly it every thing change i am devastated tomorrow going to see a doc. Is my pancreas fail completely?:(
Now i am fed up of gym and every thing.
Type 2 on gliclozide 80mg
Sorry for bad language