If you were designing a pump, what features would it have?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Given the range of pumps available, and the different features of all of them, I thought it would be an interesting thought experiment to see what were features that people wanted to see in pumps. Feel free to add as long a list as you want!

For me, the following features would make a good pump, with standard features implemented in the most appropriate component. There are arguments for either the remote, the pump or a smart phone app:

Standard Pump Features

Full remote control
Multiple Basal Rates
Standard, Extended, Multiwave and Super Bolus modes
TBR in 5% intervals
Minimum increments 0.01u
Open bluetooth protocol
CGM integration for Smartguard like application
Upgradeable CPU ROM to allow for BiAP future-proofing
Basal Rate maintenance on pump
Smartphone integration
All data uploadable to a standard platform not a manufacturer proprietary platform

Tubed Pump customisations

300u reservoir
Luer Lock connector (nothing proprietary thanks)

Patch Pump customisations

150u reservoir
Angled or perpendicular cannula

Remote control

Full pump control system (not just bolusing)
Smartphone performance level
CGM integration
Blood test meter
Data reports including BG trends, variance, etc and overlays with carb and bolus values

Fundamentally, it should be a system that can communicate with either of the pump hardware options using a standardised remote/software package.

I'm sure it's not an exhaustive list as I think there must be some things I've missed. At the moment, all of these items are not available from a single manufacturer, which is slightly frustrating.

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd add to that:

- No reservoir - pump takes any standard 3ml pen cartridge

No faffing about and no bubbles. I miss my old pump and it's quick cartridge change. In your list, I particularly like your ideas about a standardised platform and Luer locks.

- I'd also like a 'basic' pump which had minimal features and was cheaper allowing people to choose between advanced or basic.

And I think it's important too to have well thought out pump accessories. When you live with a pump 24/7 tiny things can irritate you, like the clip on my Vibe that only goes in one direction. Annoying!

Reactions: 8 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
- No reservoir - pump takes any standard 3ml pen cartridge
Now that's an even better point, although we should also require that all the Insulin makers standardise on a single form factor for pen cartridges as currently Lily, Novo and Sanofi all have slightly different shapes.

Reactions: 2 people

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Omnipod-
Why question to confirm I am user of pump often results in BM done before confirmed then need to start again.
Longer screen use, when needed, mine switches off after short period although on maximum set.
With using for Bm at night ,a better light as I need to switch room light on to use. I know this would increase battery use, but small price to pay for convenience.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah, talking of batteries, I'd add a long-lasting battery to my wish list :)

My old DTron could go more than 9wks on a single battery and the screen was always readable because it didn't time out and disappear. It also had a good light for using in darkness.

iHs

I think it will be interesting to see how Cellnovo fair over the next year or so and look out for Kaleido

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
on the omnipod i would make the I:C ratios changeable in smaller increments ( currently whole numbers only) and dosing in .01 increments ( currently increments of .05 )

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
One with a bolus and correction feature that actually worked IE, not a fault in the software and being told to live with it as this was the way the vibe worked things out.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
for my medtronic paradigm, would like a better memory for checking when and how much and how long temp basals have been etc (this feature may exist but i have not found it), more button presses for safety - eg, when i have been very tired or ill, several times i have pressed 'reservoir and set,' meant to scroll to history, then found i have pressed too quickly and got to 'fill cannula' and the filling has started - i have had to detach fast as can't find a way to stop the filling - there may be a way, will check at my appointment coming up soon - but i do need more button presses. Also would like smaller cartridges than the 1.8, as i have a low insulin use, and waste insulin even when i half fill a cartridge, also would like it to be easier to see screen in bright daylight. But top priority would be completely different, less invasive infusion sets.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would like more basal routines. My pump has three. I'd prefer more. I'd like to be able to feed exercise into the Wizard before it sets the bolus. I'm sure it could be done if it used a menu like aerobic/anaerobic, perceived effort 1-10, or something like that. With time the user would learn to choose the right degree of perceived effort. Right now, I dial up my bolus then subtract before administering, but it leaves no record in the pump memory of the reason for the decision.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Air bubbles aaaarrrggggghhhh!
I'm of a certain age. It does not matter how good I am at getting rid of bubbles I just need 1 night time hot flush and I've literally boiled my insulin.
So in the morning I'm flicking bubbles that would not normally appeared. It took me a while to get this. At first I thought rising sugars were linked with flushes, not flushes then bubbles.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ideally the integrated meter should be able to test blood ketones as well as glucose.
Tubed pumps & their clips designed so insulin comes from bottom of reservoir, not from the top where the bubbles are.
Cellnovo idea is good ( wear as tubed or dis/reconnectable patch pump as required)
Customisable ringtone-type alerts, with volume profiles (eg for night-time, home, noisy surroundings, etc)

Reactions: 4 people

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
on the omnipod i would make the I:C ratios changeable in smaller increments ( currently whole numbers only) and dosing in .01 increments ( currently increments of .05 )

I think the dosing increment can be changed in the "settings" menu.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes increment can be changed set differently for time of day on Omnipod.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why only 150 for patch pump? That wouldn't be enough for everyone... If you want less, you can always just fill it less full.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't say no to a populated carb DB or a link to MFP or similar.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Why only 150 for patch pump? That wouldn't be enough for everyone... If you want less, you can always just fill it less full.
In my view, the whole point of the patch pump is to keep it small. I suppose you could go to 200u but the size of a 300u reservoir limits the smallness of the patch and therefore increases the amount of adhesive sticky required.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my view, the whole point of the patch pump is to keep it small. I suppose you could go to 200u but the size of a 300u reservoir limits the smallness of the patch and therefore increases the amount of adhesive sticky required.

Oh yes - I guess so. I don't have any problems with Omnipod size, though - it's pretty subtle and the sticky is ok.
I mostly don't need it, but there are times during the month (and other less regular things, like illness/unusual activity) when I would struggle with 150u over three days and you'd immediately eliminate anyone with any kind of serious insulin resistance.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh yes - I guess so. I don't have any problems with Omnipod size, though - it's pretty subtle and the sticky is ok.
I mostly don't need it, but there are times during the month (and other less regular things, like illness/unusual activity) when I would struggle with 150u over three days and you'd immediately eliminate anyone with any kind of serious insulin resistance.
To be honest, if you are suffering serious insulin resistance, I'd hope that U500 insulin would be in use. I'm not sure a pump delivering 60u boluses of u100 insulin would be great either. A 300u reservoir really wouldn't last long in that scenario.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't say no to a populated carb DB or a link to MFP or similar.

The Vibe has a carb values list of approx 500 foods, I think. I've never used it as I pretty much know most carbs I eat now.