Eating out

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I'm recently diagnosed on lantus and novorapid. I'm going to an awards dinner on weds and not sure what to do about insulin. If I do it before and tiny meal arrives then will be a little stuck, what does everyone else do in times like this?

Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Am a little unsure of injecting at the table as don t know anyone, and not sure what I will wear, however feel like a dirty junky sneaking off to the loo !

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
After a year on insulin I find eating out one of the most difficult issues. I will do my BG testing immediately prior to the event, probably in the car. I do not want to inflict injecting at the table on any on-lookers and anyone other than close friends, which is a problem in busy and well-lit dining rooms. I usually end up in the loo, leaving my food to cool. Not ideal, and definitely a bit junkie- like. But, what else can you do?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Am a little unsure of injecting at the table as don t know anyone, and not sure what I will wear, however feel like a dirty junky sneaking off to the loo !

No need to feel this way, your injecting something that saves your life and the two cannot possibly be compared.

If your unsure of the meal contents and timing then do as @hollyslot recommends and inject when the food arrives at the table.

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
After a year on insulin I find eating out one of the most difficult issues. I will do my BG testing immediately prior to the event, probably in the car. I do not want to inflict injecting at the table on any on-lookers and anyone other than close friends, which is a problem in busy and well-lit dining rooms. I usually end up in the loo, leaving my food to cool. Not ideal, and definitely a bit junkie- like. But, what else can you do?
You do it all at the table and turn it into a topic of conversation with those you don't know. You'd be surprised how successful an intro it is, especially if you start with "If you don't like needles, please look away now!". Make it something interesting and engaging rather than something you are ashamed of. You'll be surprised how good an opportunity for education it is.

Reactions: 16 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always now inject at the table. Most people don't notice and if they do they politely ignore it. It can be difficult if the clothes aren't right.

Reactions: 4 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But, what else can you do?
I make everyone else eat their food in the restroom while I give myself an injection at the dinner table.

See how silly that sounds? I realize you're only trying to be polite, but there are plenty of ways you can be polite without putting your health at risk.

I try not to make a big deal about it, but when I need to I take off my suit jacket, roll up my sleeve and take my medication (insulin). Rarely does anyone even notice, but worst case I have the opportunity to educate someone about this disease.

EDIT- Looks like I'm not the only one. I didn't see the last two responses before posting.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the past when first diagnosed I always used to wait until after eating, then sneak off to the toilet. It wasn't ideal as my blood sugar would get too high if I took too long and with the benefit of hindsight I think detrimental to accepting that my pancreas is bust. Like it was some incredibly embarrassing secret.

These days I've come to the conclusion that those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter. And I'm much happier with that. So I inject at the table without making a big deal of it and it's never been an issue.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi
I'm recently diagnosed on lantus and novorapid. I'm going to an awards dinner on weds and not sure what to do about insulin. If I do it before and tiny meal arrives then will be a little stuck, what does everyone else do in times like this?

Thanks
Hi @debsugs
i would inject at the table as many above me have said.
Imagine from your nickname you are a girl and perhaps will be wearing a dress.
just hitch the dress up a couple of inches and inject into thigh.
this will bring up the injecting through tights question possibly - but it will be fine.

if you are wearing a full length evening gown the thigh may be out.:confused:

I have injected through trousers in the past with no problem:)

Reactions: 8 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Inject at the table - people will care far less than you imagine :) Toilets are not a good place to inject at all. The cubicles have germs ( on surfaces and airborne) and if you stand at the mirrors/basin people could walk in and see you, and this could be anyone and they won't be prepared.

If you're seated by people you don't know, just pre-warn them shortly before so they know what's happening.

It's best to inject when your food's in front of you in case there's a delay or you don't get what you're expecting.

Enjoy your meal :)

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
You know, us women can come up with so many excuses to leave the table if we have to.

I wouldn’t suggest injecting in the car prior the event because your meal may take more than 30 minutes to arrive and you may risk a hypo while waiting, having to stuff yourself glucotabs. (has happened to me - when food came in 1 hour after we placed our order). Also, if you haven’t seen your food and your portion, how would you know what to inject for? You would have to guestimate…

Either as soon as your meal arrives prior eating or, preferably, in the middle of it or at the end (and no more than 15 minutes after you have finished your meal), excuse yourself and go to the bathroom to fix your lipstick.

Inject there, put on your lipstick/powder your nose (whatever) and go back and enjoy yourself.

Regards and compassionate hugs
Josephine

Releaseme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I usually inject after I've eaten that way you can go to rest room and do it in private without feeling embarrassed

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you really feel awkward injecting at the table, you could ask discreetly if they have a separate room you can use to do your injection. If you ask on arrival, that'd give them time to think. If you're in a hotel or something, they may well have a back room or office you could use quickly.

It's not advisable to use toilets because of the risk of possible infection. I remember reading an example of that a few years ago,

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually inject after I've eaten that way you can go to rest room and do it in private without feeling embarrassed

I wouldn't advocate doing that too often if you can help it. It will almost certainly cause large post meal spikes. I've discovered (as have many others) since using Freestyle Libre that I need to inject considerably in advance of what I had previously thought necessary in order to avoid spiking.

Releaseme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wouldn't advocate doing that too often if you can help it. It will almost certainly cause large post meal spikes. I've discovered (as have many others) since using Freestyle Libre that I need to inject considerably in advance of what I had previously thought necessary in order to avoid spiking.
I'm on a carb count diet so as I've been advised by a dietician this is my way of doing my insulin incase I decide to have more than my usual portion..each to their own!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm on a carb count diet so as I've been advised by a dietician this is my way of doing my insulin incase I decide to have more than my usual portion..each to their own!
Sadly that doesn't change the reality of the situation. The majority of Clinical staff have never seen the evidence of continuous monitoring. Those of us who have will tell you that clinical advice to inject after a meal is wrong and results in significant blood glucose spikes.

The old view that the current fast acting insulins worked within ten minutes is also wrong - most of us have noticed that they take half an hour or longer to start working when injected subcutaneously and around 10 mins when injected intramuscularly.

So while your dietitian may have told you that it is okay to inject post meal because you may want to eat more than you have accounted for, it is doing you more harm than good. You are better off taking the insulin before hand and then if you do eat more, injecting the extra post meal. It will significantly reduce the post meal spikes.

Apologies if this goes against what you thought you knew and what the "professionals" are telling you, but in this context they have very little understanding of what is really happening in a T1 body, and they also don't see the risks associated with high postprandial spikes that drop back 2-4 hours later. Retinopathy is a good example of this...

Reactions: 3 people

Releaseme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sadly that doesn't change the reality of the situation. The majority of Clinical staff have never seen the evidence of continuous monitoring. Those of us who have will tell you that clinical advice to inject after a meal is wrong and results in significant blood glucose spikes.

The old view that the current fast acting insulins worked within ten minutes is also wrong - most of us have noticed that they take half an hour or longer to start working when injected subcutaneously and around 10 mins when injected intramuscularly.

So while your dietitian may have told you that it is okay to inject post meal because you may want to eat more than you have accounted for, it is doing you more harm than good. You are better off taking the insulin before hand and then if you do eat more, injecting the extra post meal. It will significantly reduce the post meal spikes.

Apologies if this goes against what you thought you knew and what the "professionals" are telling you, but in this context they have very little understanding of what is really happening in a T1 body, and they also don't see the risks associated with high postprandial spikes that drop back 2-4 hours later. Retinopathy is a good example of this...
like I said the the previous each to their own!..what ever works best for the person but that's taking off the subject completely as it's not about how I inject and control my diabetes it works for me doing insulin this way my annual eye screening has detected slight diabetic eye I have only just started on the car count after meal injection

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
like I said the the previous each to their own!..what ever works best for the person but that's taking off the subject completely as it's not about how I inject and control my diabetes
No it's not, but for the benefit of the OP, if, when eating out, you inject post meal, you will get significant glucose spikes if you eat a reasonable number of carbs in a meal. Where you can, it is always better to bolus beforehand, even if that is once the food has arrived.

Releaseme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No it's not, but for the benefit of the OP, if, when eating out, you inject post meal, you will get significant glucose spikes if you eat a reasonable number of carbs in a meal. Where you can, it is always better to bolus beforehand, even if that is once the food has arrived.
like I said each to their own..I appreciate what you are saying but this way works best for myself for the time being..just hope the person asking for advice figures it out..