I tried it and... (new foods)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fage Greek yoghurt. I never really enjoyed yoghurt, so I had been low carbing for many years before I even tried it........yummmm I love it:D

Reactions: 2 people

Malsange

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made pancakes with almond flour this evening. They were very nice. They would have been even nicer flooded in golden syrup tho - sigh ;)
I made a 2 egg pancake with almond flour and 1 tbsp. coconut flour, for the spread I microwaved 2 tbsp. cream cheese, added 1 tsp. sweetener, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. maple flavoring, 1 tbsp. butter, mixed it up, and it was great :)

Reactions: 8 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fage Greek yoghurt. I never really enjoyed yoghurt, so I had been low carbing for many years before I even tried it........yummmm I love it:D

I've recently discovered M & S do an authentic Greek yoghurt which is 10% fat. I've now converted from Fage to M & S :)

Reactions: 6 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats because its not juuust yoghurt ..... it's M&S yoghurt (said in a very sultry voice)

Reactions: 9 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Polenta as a pizza base - not as good as real pizza but filling.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I attempted to make a stew with dumplings this evening. Decided I would make them the same as normal, just replacing normal flour with a mix of almond flour, coconut flour and a little baking powder. BIG mistake - it didn't work at all! Had to fish em out and we ended up with a pretty much ruined stew that just tasted of coconut. To add insult to injury my BG went up after only semi eating it too.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was drinking it with added Alpro hazelnut milk until I realised that - unlike their almond milk - they only make an added sugar version...:(:(

Robbity
Ever tried making your own? Almond milk was easy. Soak the nuts over night in water. Change the water, whiz in a blender, strain the pulp out. Chill in the fridge. Delicious. The pulp can be used if you dry it out in a low oven heat grind it in a coffee/spice grinder = nut flour. I would imagine Hazelnuts could be used instead to make the hazelnut milk. Google it you will find lots of recipes and no added sugar unless you add it.

Reactions: 3 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get Rude Health organic hazelnut drink from Abel & Cole as it's the only unsweetened one that I've found so far. It has rice in it. I may try almond milk.

Nygarda Julmust is a Swedish soft drink, traditional at Christmas. It's like a root beer, not as fizzy as colas and 9g carbs per 100ml. The recipe dates back to 1910, so that may be why it's les carby and less fizzy than a lot of other soft drinks.

Sent from my Kindle using DCUK Forum mobile app

meldrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am new to the forum and am currently trying to reduce my Carbs intake having read many threads on the forum which whilst meaning I won't be eating the big 5, I would still like to have Yorkshire pudding every now and again for Sunday lunch. Does anybody have a low carb alternative recipe.

D

Deleted member 219428

Might not be the right thread for this, but does anyone know if you can buy DaVinci sugar free syrup in the UK? A relative is coming over and I'd love for him to get me some (French Amazon quotes €50 for a bottle!!!)...

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tesco put Fushi organic ghee in amongst the body builder supplements and vitamins. Predictably, people didn't find it, so it was reduced to clear. I got the last 6 jars today for £21, saving around £40 ;) Not tried Fushi before, usually buy Netherend Farm.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another new find today. In a town I haven't visited in years, we found a Morrisons had sprouted and it had packs of mixed organic cauliflower and broccoli florets from France, which will become broccauli mash later.

Organic avocado - 2 for £2 is a bargain. Morrisons also has own brand unsweetened organic soya drink, which I shall try.

Bought some Morrisons own brand shell-on wild Atlantic prawns and they were really tasty, much better than the ones I buy from Sainsbury's.

Edited to add: The soya milk isn't bad but in cocoa wasn't great until I added cinnamon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I tried Brussels sprout tops for the first time, and liked them a lot! I sauteed some sliced leek in ghee until soft, then added the coarsely shredded sprout tops and finished it with some chopped chorizo. Glad to have another green leafy veg to enjoy :)

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I tried Brussels sprout tops for the first time, and liked them a lot! I sauteed some sliced leek in ghee until soft, then added the coarsely shredded sprout tops and finished it with some chopped chorizo. Glad to have another green leafy veg to enjoy :)

I've seen these on Abel & Cole's website and dithered so thanks for the idea !

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tried one Sharwood's poppadum last night, which MrCeleriac made in the wok. Non-organic, but the only additive was the raising agent, calcium carbonate. FBG 6.1 this morning and only hit 7 90 mins after eating, by 2 hrs was back in 5s. I think I got away with that one.