Pump and pregnancy

pinkpolo121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I'm 25 type 1 for 2 years and 20 weeks pregnant. Yesterday I was put on a pump to try and stop my hypos as they were slightly erratic and hypo awareness is low to the point where unless I'm at a 2 I have no idea. Being on a pump is not what I was expecting or something that I'm easily getting my head around as I also have a cgm machine as well and the beeping and checking are now affecting my sleep. Just wanted to know if anyone else has been through or going through this can tell me if it worked for them??

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Hi I requested a pump this pregnancy as I'd had problems with comas in previous ones and couldn't face that and various other things again. I got it when I was 10 weeks and I am now 31 weeks. I got a cgm about 6 weeks ago.

Personally I've found the pump a lot of hard work and I'm still not convinced it's better overall. I've had type 1 for 32 years so know how to manage it pretty well and the pump has not been easy. The main advantage has been that I could tinker with the basal at night because my comas were always when I was asleep and I have avoided any in the first trimester which I had in my last 2 pregnancies. The other advantage is (when it's working) more flexibility on what I can eat instead of strict low carbing which is how I always kept my numbers low before. My last hba1c was 5.8. In previous pregnancies it was generally around the low 6s and once 5.6 but that was on very strict low carb diets.

I've found the cgm useless. Out of 7 sensors I've had one that was accurate.I have a minimed pump and minimed cgm. I've switched off all the alarms as they drove me up the wall, waking me up every hour or so. It was horrible. I will give it one more go after the baby comes and I need to get an idea of basal levels without doing basal testing and hope for the best. I switched off all the hypo alerts as I couldn't bear being woken up when I wasn't low as my body was waking me up when I was low already.

You need a lot of support when you first start with a pump. I hope your hospital is good. I got relatively little information from mine. Most of what I've achieved has been as a result of advice on here and the Pumping Insulin book.

The classic advice for poor hypo awareness is run your sugars slightly higher which is obviously difficult when you're pregnant. Before you got the pump were your levels stable or all over the place? If they were stable you might find it easier just to raise them slightly than try and get the hang of a pump.

I'd estimate that it took me about 6 weeks to get comfyish with the pump but as you know your insulin requirements keep on changing in pregnancy so you're at a difficult stage to get comfy.

Good luck and ask for as much support as you can get.

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone I'm 25 type 1 for 2 years and 20 weeks pregnant. Yesterday I was put on a pump to try and stop my hypos as they were slightly erratic and hypo awareness is low to the point where unless I'm at a 2 I have no idea. Being on a pump is not what I was expecting or something that I'm easily getting my head around as I also have a cgm machine as well and the beeping and checking are now affecting my sleep. Just wanted to know if anyone else has been through or going through this can tell me if it worked for them??

My experience with the pump is quite different because I've been T1 for 19 years and pumping for 15 - but I can't imagine trying to start using it during pregnancy. I think once you get the hang of it, it's much easier than needles personally - but getting the hang of it when your body isn't constantly changing needs and you're not pregnant is a much easier time to start. I was so stressed out my first trimester because it really felt like being re-diagnosed all over again. I've always had very stable numbers and known how to self-correct but pregnancy made everything so different and really threw me for a loop.

Obviously different doctors are going to have different targets and opinions, but mine has told me for the whole pregnancy that it's normal to feel lows when they're lower. It really surprised me how low I could get, but I have never passed out or been unable to treat on my own, which I know others aren't so lucky with. My hypo-awareness seemed to come back more the later into pregnancy I've gotten.

I didn't start using my CGM until I was pregnant and I only used it a few times because I found it too stressful. Most of the time the numbers were fairly accurate, but wearing another thing when I was already so stressed out wasn't worth it for me. I found I would rather test more often to see my trends.

Are you having lows at night that you're missing? My doctor suggested turning off the alarms over night to get a good rest - I always wake up from my hypos so that option worked fine for me. I also turned off the "low prediction/high prediction" and moved the max high a little higher to give me some leeway so I wasn't constantly beeping or vibrating.

I agree that checking in with supports often to help you fine tune things is really important when you're first starting out.

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a bloke so no pregnancy experience but I do have a pump....

my first thoughts are isn't it a bit dodgy trying to settle in to a pump and get it right mid pregnancy as it take months or even a year to get it bang on...

the pros must outweigh the cons in this case though...

the CGM will help for sure.......it will be all hands on deck probably.....but worth it for the few months its on.......

good luck and congrats.....

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I'm 21 weeks but I've had a pump for a few years before becoming pregnant. During pregnancy I have found the pump helpful as things can change quite quickly, eg basal rates, and I can change them easily on the pump. This was especially helpful when I got ill a little while back and I ended up doubling my basal rates and boluses. I've also found some days my blood sugars start to drop so I can turn my basal rates down easily.

The pump is quite a lot of hard work initially and it is a bit scary at first, but I've found it a useful tool for me. I don't have a cgm though.

I've still had quite a lot of hypos during pregnancy, but I do prefer to see Lower numbers than higher ones so I just check my blood sugar regularly and once during the night so I can treat any hypos (or hypers!)

Good luck with the pump!

Reactions: 2 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi my twins are 8w now and my dd is just 2. I've been T1 since I was 2 (now 35) and was on the pump for both pregnancies.
I honestly don't think I could have done it without especially during the night.

I tested lots though-at least twice during the night including setting my alarm. My hba1c for my twins was really good throughout. I trial led cgm but wasn't for me as found manual testing more effective.

Sugars can be really erratic once delivered so just beware.

Good luck