Zizzi's removing carb information!!

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So angry right now, I love that Zizzi offer carbohydrate information online and it always made a great option for a restaurant to go to where I could feel comfortable in more accurate carb counting. But now they've decided to only display the total amount of sugar....aaaaargh!!! Why is this country so fixated on sugar and not carbs in general!! It's as if they're trying to make life harder for us constantly.

Reactions: 12 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. McDonalds did the same thing and when I complained they said it was due to new Euro food packaging regulations (another reason to leave the EU?). They said their tray sheets still had the info which they do. Here is their reply to me:

"As part of new European legislation which comes into force in December, there are new legal requirements for pre-packed food items and this states that we must now provide sugar and saturated fat content on our packaging. Due to us having limited room to provide all nutritional information, we have taken the decision to remove the protein and carbohydrate content. I’m sorry for any disappointment this may cause."

The establishments 'love' affair with sat fat and sugar rather than total carbs continues......

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It annoys me too! The same in subway. Who needs total sugar in a sandwich anyway!

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, the important thing about nutritional info on websites IS the carb count. I hope that supermarkets at least, will continue to give the full picture wherever possible. If they don't, it will make ordering stuff online difficult.

I don't believe the lack of space excuse. By including only the things that they are legally obliged to, purveyors of junk food can make their products look better. In many, it's not so much the added sugar as the whole starchy carb hit.

I suggest emailing companies that you use and objecting. That might make them rethink.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, the important thing about nutritional info on websites IS the carb count. I hope that supermarkets at least, will continue to give the full picture wherever possible. If they don't, it will make ordering stuff online difficult.

I don't believe the lack of space excuse. By including only the things that they are legally obliged to, purveyors of junk food can make their products look better. In many, it's not so much the added sugar as the whole starchy carb hit.

I suggest emailing companies that you use and objecting. That might make them rethink.
Possibly also an email to your Euro MP stating how stupid the current regulations are.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just find it ridiculous... I'm sorry but who goes into mcdonalds and thinks " ooh actually, that is a little high in saturates, wasn't expecting that in a fast food restaurant..." ?!?!

jodysd6

Zizzi have said

'Hi Jody & Fergus, we have just looked into this with our Q&S teams. At the moment, due to regulation, we aren't able to provide the total carb amount per dish. This is something we are working on for the future though. For now, please PM us the exact dish you want to know the carb information for & we will look into this. Thanks, Zizzi.'

I'd love to know what this regulation actually says and if it says they are not allowed to publish it because right now, even though I don't even eat there, it has got me seriously irrationally annoyed!

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
from gov.uk

Nutrition Legislation Information Sheet October 2015
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ta/file/469039/Nutrition_Legislation_Info.pdf

MenuCal for food businesses in Northern Ireland to help them put allergens and calories on menus
https://menucalni.co.uk/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=/

FSA food labelling changes
https://www.food.gov.uk/science/allergy-intolerance/label/labelling-changes

The Food Information Regulations 2014
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/1855/contents/made

Zizzi's has to comply with the regulations so that if a dish contains allergens, then they must by law, display that.

If they claim that they don't have room to include carbohydrates then we should point out that people with diabetes, regardless of type, need to know the net carbs for each meal. This is to show Type 1s how much insulin they'll need, other types on insulin, ditto. People who have been diagnosed with Prediabetes may be watching their carb intake or low carbing. Many people with Type 2 diabetes also. #

Then there are dieters on The Paleo Diet, The Atkins Diet, The Dukan Diet, The Scarsdale Diet and The South Beach Diet who all watch carbs to varying degrees.. Swedish visitors may low carb also, because 25% of the Swedish population eats Low Carb High Fat. (LCHF).

It's quite likely that the number of people who need information on carbs vastly outnumbers those who need information on allergens.

The nutritional information shown here https://www.zizzi.co.uk/data/menus/static_menus/6/pdf/Nutritional Menu_1.pdf doesn't seem to me to comply with the regulations anyway ??

Although, before diagnosis, I had eaten at the Zizzi Ristorante in Canterbury and enjoyed it, with all that pasta it's not the first place I would think of for a low carb meal. But if you get dragged out by family or friends and they all want Italian, it would be nice to know that there's something you can eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

lionrampant

Zizzi have said

'Hi Jody & Fergus, we have just looked into this with our Q&S teams. At the moment, due to regulation, we aren't able to provide the total carb amount per dish. This is something we are working on for the future though. For now, please PM us the exact dish you want to know the carb information for & we will look into this. Thanks, Zizzi.'

I'd love to know what this regulation actually says and if it says they are not allowed to publish it because right now, even though I don't even eat there, it has got me seriously irrationally annoyed!
Tell Zizzi that if McDonalds can break down a hamburger into total carb as well as sugar, and total fat as well as saturates (http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/product_nutrition.beef.32.hamburger.html) along with Fibre, Protein etc, there's no regulation stopping them from doing it either.