Pre conception worries

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know where your coming from as I've has the same struggles as you too! There is no motivation better than a baby fir getting your blood sugar under control. I've done it so I know you can. First things first though before you think about conceiving you really need to get a meter sorted and start making your diabetes part of your daily life. I had to go the hospital weekly through both my pregnancies, it's hard work but so worth it.
My first pregnancy was unplanned with a hba1c of 11% the consultant was so unhappy that I'd fallen pregnant with no planning I ended up leaving in tears.
Do you inject? Carb count? What insulin are you on?

How long did it take to get your HBA1C down? I'm so desperate to get mine down so I can start a family.

natw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello ladies, I am also in the same boat! Husband is desperate to start a family. I am too however just need hba1c to improve more, got bloods due next week however have had a few months of running between 10-15 so I know for a fact my hba1c will be higher than 7.8 :-(

Let's support each other so we can make our dreams come true and be healthier ourselves xx

Reactions: 2 people

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome Nat

My last hba1c was 7.1 but the dr wanted it lower, i on a 2 week cgm at the moment to see where needs to be improved. I think i am going to know the suggestion she gives though....go on a pump lol.

Hope your results are better than you are expecting :)

Reactions: 2 people

natw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lozj82, I'm already on a pump. The diabetes registrar told me earlier on in the year to get it to 7.4. Fingers crossed I can do it! Molly how are you getting on? X

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you find it has helped your levels? I'm quite reluctant due to my sister going on it and ending up in hospital with ketoacidosis one time, also not sure how i feel about having something attached to me all the time and i dont think 7.1% is too bad. Then another part of me says if its going to help,get on it!

Sure you can do it!!! Good luck when you get them x

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just got my Hb1c = 9 so along way to go. So pleased I am on a pump as tweaking is so much easier and accurate. I felt the same about having it attached but I would never go back. I got married in the summer and was unsure how the pump would fit into the day and honeymoon but it was so much easier. It soon just becomes part of you. I'm so broody and am finding it hard when my friends can just start trying for a baby when they want. I know my duty as a mother actually starts know before I even try to conceive but I'm so full of love. You ladies are doing so well.

Reactions: 4 people

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @natw !!

Does that mean you have been given the go ahead?

I'm back at the hospital on Monday to see the results of my CGM

natw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haven't spoken to anyone yet. I'm now worried that as its a 6% drop it will affect the slight background retinopathy I have. Had eye screening on the 2nd of November and not had results yet so getting really worried

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have some back ground retinopathy and took 1.5% drop at the one point (within the last year) have had my eyes done since then and all is good, hope it is with yours too x

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have terrible control, I hate talking/thinking/anything about my diabetes. I have been T1 for 17 years now and have had terrible control for at least 7 years now, being admitted with DKA 3 times - although the last time was 4 years ago now. But now is the time I need to change. Me and my husband have decided to try for a baby next year but I know how hard this will be and I understand that if I was to conceive now - I would probably miscarry. My last hospital appointment was in February this year and i get so stressed and upset when I go that my dr said its maybe best I don't go back for a while because it all hits home too much when I'm used to just blocking it out and that I should maybe not go back for a while, so I rebooked for a year away but with deciding to try for children in the near future I have brought appt forward to December this year. I am just wondering if anyone has been in this position and has managed to conceive and get there diabetes under control in a short space of time? I'm also not sure what to expect when I go other than to be shot down and told not to bother trying because that's what I'm expecting! Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x

I have a spare meter if you want it? It's an accu-chek avia I think. You can get bolus advice.

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In the same boat ladies!would love to hear how ye are getting on, think it would help motivate me! My latest hba1c is 8.3% want this soooooo much! Find managing my diabetes difficult though

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @wannabemammy i am still trying to reduce my levels,last time i got a telling off for too many hypos, its like how am i supposed to get a lower hb1 without having some hypos (obviously i know hypos are bad but if i am trying to keep it at a lower level then its going to happen), i dont think they understand to be honest, we are trying some different insulin levels and if these don't work, its on to levemer and if that doesn't work onto a pump.

I'm thinking my next hb1c wont be good as i had a cgm on for 2 weeks and didnt correct as much as wanted them to see where exactly i was going high to try and sort it

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What wAs the cgm like? How do you go about getting one my HB1c was also in the 8's. Have another appointment on the 31st. Would like to try a low carb diet but love carbs.

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The CGM was great, i ove it and didnt want to give it back (it was only for a trial for 2 weeks to see what was happening with my sugars - the hospital lent it to me). Showed me some trends and that i needed to change the time of my long acting. It was also great as i could catch highs before they actually happened, im sure if i had 1 permanently my HB1c would improve.

Unfortunately most of the time you have to self fund, unless you have hypo unawareness in which case sometimes you can get it funded. The dexcom that i had cost about 1k and then there is the sensors every month (there are some posts on here regarding costs of cgms) there is also the freestyle libre which is only about £100 and £50 a month for sensors, im hoping sometime in the future they will become available on the NHS like blood testers have.

Im the same re carbs although i have cut down quite a bit but not to the extent of a HFLC diet.

Good luck with your appointment