If you were designing a pump, what features would it have?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I wouldn't say no to a populated carb DB or a link to MFP or similar.
Thinking about this, if you could remote control from a phone, or android based handset, then you could app link to any food/fitness/management app.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest, if you are suffering serious insulin resistance, I'd hope that U500 insulin would be in use. I'm not sure a pump delivering 60u boluses of u100 insulin would be great either. A 300u reservoir really wouldn't last long in that scenario.

That is true... But, as I say, I def have days where I end up upping doses to the extent that I need 50+ u rather than my usual 25-30, which I can't imagine is that unusual.

iHs

To be honest, if you are suffering serious insulin resisI'd hope that U500 insulin would be in use. I'm not sure a pump delivering 60u boluses of u100 insulin would be great either. A 300u reservoir really wouldn't last long in that scenario.
U500 insulin is very thick to inject and is about a £££ figure to purchase at NHS prices. I was quite shocked when I knew the price. As far as I know I think it is imported on a named person basis

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My main problem with my pump (Animas Vibe) is the size. It gets in the way and for me smaller would be better.
I think a smaller pump that you could refill with a syringe every couple of days. I only need about 30 units a day so I get fed up with having to wear a pump with 180 units or so. It would be refilled maybe through a rubber bung and change the whole lot every week or so.

Reactions: 4 people

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also how about a Flexible, soft patch pump that sticks on like a plaster. Also could be waterproof, refillable and disposable. It could incorporate the reservoir and the cannula in one unit.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Omnipod style but possible to be filled with any insulin.

Painless, reliable canulas

remote controls

Reactions: 2 people