Anyone experience loss of appetite with Metformin?

• Thread starter Deleted member 219428
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 219428

Hello, I'm a new member and I've been taking Metformin for 12 days now further to a right telling off by my doctor. I'd been managing my DB2 by myself for a year or so and ended up with an HbA1C of 7,7% (60 by UK measurements I think). So, down the drug route I go... Apart from the usual gastric upsets the first 3 days, I've noticed that my cravings for carbohydrates have greatly diminished and that I'm not ready to eat my desk at 5pm at the office like usual. Is this normal? I'm not complaining of course!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin is an appetite suppressant for some people, yes.

D

Deleted member 219428

Waow, wish I'd know that years ago when the doctor wanted to put me on Metformin!!!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it did that for me too. I wish my GP would prescribe it for me again.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No effect on me. No side effects either, but definitely didn't suppress my appetite.
Sadly, that's down to will power, and proves to be a constant battle.

carpcatcher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lots
yep 2x500mg a day lost 2st in 2months had the usual stomach cramps for a couple of days and blood average 5.9 happy days

Reactions: 2 people

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on it for 4 days now and the only side effects I have had are morning nausea and bloating. I would love if it would lower my appetite as right now I am craving some of the bad snacks I use to eat before diagnosis.

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey you guys.

The drugs won't really get working in your system for about a month. I've been on 500mg, 3x daily with meals, for about 18 months now. The only side affects I have is more wind, but that could be down to the change in more of a fiber diet when I was diagnosed 2 years ago (type 2). It seems when the drug takes effect, maybe 1.5-2 hours, I feel hungry again and maybe snack on something healthy.

It's probably to early to tell yet, just eat when you can little and often as they suggest, and keep monitoring with your test strips to see how it is affecting you. Obviously you want to avoid having a hypo as it could drop your levels right down if your not taking it with food consumption as that is how mine is prescribed.

I don't really know what your diet is and exercise regime if any, which again may alter the effects or how yours is prescribed to be used.

Just gotta run with it and keep a log of how it is affecting your body. If does the job it's suppose to do then it;s all good.
If you find it's giving you bad side affects, then you can go back to your doctor and ask for a different prescription.

Hope all goes well.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin changed the taste of food slowly during the time I took it. It finally got to the point where all vegetables tasted like burnt plastic. This meant that I didn't want to eat them. The dose was reduced to fix this and finally the pills were stopped altogether and recorded as ineffective.

Purplediy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I'm a new member and I've been taking Metformin for 12 days now further to a right telling off by my doctor. I'd been managing my DB2 by myself for a year or so and ended up with an HbA1C of 7,7% (60 by UK measurements I think). So, down the drug route I go... Apart from the usual gastric upsets the first 3 days, I've noticed that my cravings for carbohydrates have greatly diminished and that I'm not ready to eat my desk at 5pm at the office like usual. Is this normal? I'm not complaining of course!!!

No unfortunately, I have not experience this and it seems to be the opposite with me - I seem to be craving more sweet items (maybe, I am just greedy). The awful side effect for me was diarrhea. I am reduced down to 3 tablets now from 4, which seems to have settled the issue...

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got diarrhea so bad for so long I developed piles. I have now dropped one but it still upsets a bit. My father's GP won't subscribe Metformin to any of his patients, mine won't change it.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
obviously everyone has different experiences, I have none, but I always though that was one of the main functions of it......

D

Deleted member 219428

Well I guess I'm one of the lucky ones from all your testimonials... Weird to think I have to reach 60 to finally be able to control my carb cravings and be reasonable with food. I'm not partial to taking drugs, but for once this one seems to be doing its job. My fasting glucose has gone down from 8,3 to 5,5 in 12 days!!! But then I've been low carbing since then as well, not sure how many carbs per day as I'm still a novice, but no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cakes/cookies, has crossed my lips for 4 weeks now. A new woman!!!

localgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who only answer your text messages when it suits them. Getting older. Politics, Dishonesty, Cooking
Ive been T2 for quiet a number of yearss now and things are just not improving. I'm on 2000mg of Metformin and can honestly say i cant see what it is supposed to be doing for me. I don't see any difference in my BS numbers because of it, but then again they are up the wall anyway lately. No weight loss at all. Just recently i have been having a real bad time with my diet as i have no appetite and don't enjoy my food at all. I am even leaning towards a ''Cant be bothered to cook'' as i am so bored and dislike cooking, i really cant be bothered. I think i am depressed. I also have medication for Chronic pain , Neuropathic Pain, OA and Problems with spine and various things going on there.

S

Sean01

Hi, I'm newish too (Type 2) diet and metformin. Appetite lost - completely off the chart. I've probably cut about 3,000 calories a day at least and lost 20lbs in 4 weeks - intentionally but the metformin has definitely kicked my appetite into touch. I couldn't have done it any other way - not at my age. Amazingly, I don't feel hungry. I do feel that I should be eating but it seems to be more habit than hunger - still the weight loss is good (more to come) and my clothes fit again.

D

Deleted member 219428

I know, it's wonderful not being hungry all the time, eh? It's now 6pm here and before I would be planning where to stop on the way to the metro to buy a snack. Now I can last until dinner at 7.30 pm!!!

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all. Been on metaformin for about a year now, I have 1x500mg with each meal, but I have the opposite to you guys.
I have a small bowl of porridge and recently back on bacon sarnie with ketchup in the morning @ 6:30. Brown multi grain bread. Mid morning snack; full fat bio yoghurt and 1/2 naan bread. Lunch @ 13:00. A satsuma, salad with chopped tomatoes ham/chicken breast/pork. Small amount sauce or dressing. Packet of multi grain crisps. On way home @17:00. Maybe an apple and the other 1/2 naan bread. Dinner @20:00, whole grain rice/sweet potato, with salmon/chicken/pork, gravy or chilli sauce. Sometimes I do thai chicken curry or seafood wholegrain pasta in white
wine, garlic and creme fraiche sauce.
But I always try to burn it of after with a walk or ride to keep my levels down. Or I may do the exercise pre-meal to set me up for dinner.
For me I'm always hungry, I'm quite active all day, I'm in construction. So eating little and often works for me. My levels aren't fabulous around 7.5-8.7mmol/l after 2 hours of eating. There not in range yet, but when I started they were double, even triple that.
The only other side effect is wind and bags of it.

Good luck and welcome! ;-)

BoldChapeau

I've just been diagnosed as prediabetic and have been placed on a low dose of Metaformin. The only side effect I've experienced is loss of appetite. Lucky me! I'm just afraid it's going to wear off.

Mal S

Was told I was prediabetic in December 2018. I've lost 3 stone since starting metformin in Jan 2019. I know I wasn't eating enough but almost became food phobic. Was taken off it last week..August14th because of the weight loss I look sleletal and ill. Was given Glicazide. Took it for 2 days and stopped.. frightening hypos. I was scared to go out.
I'm going it alone now with diet and exercise. I'm already quite active and go to work, but will include lots more walking after meals to keep numbers down. I only hope I can put on a bit of weight too. I read that the only drug (if any) that should be given for prediabetis is Metformin nothing else. Does anyone have a similar experience?