Wetherspoons Pubs.

pedro606

This morning I went into a Wetherspoons pub to have one of their traditional breakfasts- opting out of eating the hash browns.
Whilst there I was surprised but pleased to find a large leaflet breaking down all their meals with all the portion amounts of Carbs. It all had the other usual amounts that one finds on the back of food packages etc. protein,fat etc etc.
I though that that was a wonderful thing for Wetherspoons to do and they should be commended for it.

Well done Wetherspoons!

Pete

lionrampant

pedro606 said:
This morning I went into a Wetherspoons pub to have one of their traditional breakfasts- opting out of eating the hash browns.
Whilst there I was surprised but pleased to find a large leaflet breaking down all their meals with all the portion amounts of Carbs. It all had the other usual amounts that one finds on the back of food packages etc. protein,fat etc etc.
I though that that was a wonderful thing for Wetherspoons to do and they should be commended for it.

Well done Wetherspoons!

Pete

Cool beans, I would never have expected that.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
And probably no coincidence that Wetherspoons have just announced increased profits this year at a time when every other similar outlet is moaning that the recession is killing their business. When a business "gets it right" it tends to do so on all fronts.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Good for weatherspoons - just a shame they are not my kind of place, I hate chain pubs!

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Unforunately, in my neck of the woods at least, Wetherspoons are frequented by the heavy alcohol consumption fraternity due to their availability of low priced high alcohol products.
However I have used them for breakfasts as at that time of day, the atmosphere tends to be more civilised!.

Steve.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
PS
I love the story about how J D Wetherspoons got its name.
Tim Martin who owns and created the chain, was a bit of a ne'redowell at school.
On his leaving report, his teacher wrote what an incompetent pupil Tim was and observed that he would never achieve anything with his life.

The teacher's name???

J D Wetherspoon :lol: :lol: :lol:

pedro606

I think he is a Kiwi and went to that school in New Zealand. Personally, I say 'hats off' to Tim Martin and I wish him all the best.

Other than having a leaflet to help us lot he also helps local breweries which the local pubs tend not to do.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
They used to do the carbs info when Atkins was at the height 0f popularity. Perhaps they are just keeping it up
Hana

peppiB

Funnily enough I have just come from one of their establishments. I asked for salad and not chips with my lunch - no problems at all, the staff were very accommodating

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's 5* service at burger bar prices
Hana

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I have found generally in pubs or restaurants that asking for extra veg instead of chips usually works. I usually say 'I can't eat potatoes/chips/whatever the carb is' so that they feel sorry for me and make up the portion with salad or veg, hasn't failed yet!

pedro606

I tend to do what you do anticarb. However with one exception and that was with the Gourmet Kitchen Burger. I was at the one in Cardiff Bay. They were not understanding at all. Mind you it probably was due to a 'language' difficulty if you can read between the lines.

Even once on a motorway services I used a McDonalds and asked for extra sald in lieu of the bun. They were excellent and put the burger in one of those plastic containers and gave me plenty of salad.

Maybe we should open up a page on this site of restaurants 'friendly' to low carbers!

Doczoc

Same here as Bluenosesol mentioned, Wetherspoons are for full on drinkers only. Last time I went in the local it really did feel like everyone stopped to look! Not for me I'm afraid

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Last time I went in the local it really did feel like everyone stopped to look !

Hi Doc.
Unfortunately it was probably the skimpy t-shirt emblazoned with ' I'm a low carb luvvie ' that they were looking at - we know you are not all bad ? :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Me, sat down...... I was dancing the night away ! A GL lad like me likes to live a bit you know. :D

pedro606

Doczoc,

I think you missed completely the point I was making. They are , I think, the only pub chain to have sorted out the nutrient values of all their meals which is of benefit to some of us.

Whether it is not for you is of no consequence really as that is your opinion. I was basing my comments on facts and not opinions.

Doczoc

pedro606 said:
Doczoc,

I think you missed completely the point I was making. They are , I think, the only pub chain to have sorted out the nutrient values of all their meals which is of benefit to some of us.

Whether it is not for you is of no consequence really as that is your opinion. I was basing my comments on facts and not opinions.

Apologies if my post caused offence, that really wasn't the intention. You are of course right, Wetherspoons deserve credit!