What is the Hardest thing.

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I find the hardest to deal with is the fact that everyone in our house still eats all their normal foods and I'm surrounded by them every day.
That is definitely hard especially when they ask you to bring in some sweets as you happen to be going to the kitchen.

But for me it is the fact that you have to be so well organized when it comes to everything especially food and others in the family think you are being OCD when you plan meals ahead for a whole week and mock you when you weigh out ingredients or can't understand why you insist on walking to the shops when they offer to drive you.

Reactions: 6 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep definately a pain in the butt when they all want ice cream but Im pretty good, I can smell the sugar in it as soon as I open it so that puts me off.

I am definately more organised now than I have ever been but its quite easy once you get used to it.

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Hardest thing for me is knowing what to eat and what not to eat diagnosed in 2008 and still don't know what is right and wrong. I'm not talking about cake and pastries I'm talking about everyday items,I don't test as been told not required I have never got to grip with this part of weight management but know each day that this means I am closer to more complications. Some straight advice and a good set meal plan is all I really wish for

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I expect that this should really go in our scream thread, but in addition to my previous post I really need to add that the fact that I his ave a bloody minded know it all husband whose main aim trying to score points and make me out to be ignorant if we ever have a discussion on carbohydrates is probably the worst things I have to cope with... He's so busy telling stupid me that "sugar's sugar", that he fails to recognise that there's a big difference for me between my not eating food with unneccessary added sugars, and eating low carb foods that contain small quantities of natural sugars that I've made a considered choice to include as a necessary part of my diet because of the vitamins, minerals, etc, that they contain. This constant sniping is for me is far worse to cope with than all the ignorant publicity we get about diabetes being "our own faults".

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, like many of the others have said, it is avoiding all the bad stuff I love the most, whilst the rest of the family munch away happily. Also, trying to find a quick snack, particularly if you are out (and at work I can't eat nuts because it is a Junior School).

Also, the sudden increase of my bloods if I am slightly under the weather at all and you are searching around trying to find a reason, with no clue what is going on - so frustrating :banghead:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My biggest frustration is my 8 stones over weight problem is assumed to be because I'm diabetic. The painful underactive thyroid is obviously invisible even though well documented it adds weight.

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The hardest part of having diabetes.. I fainted when I had my first HbA1c done, I don't do well with needles. Blood tests are a big thing I've had to overcome.

Using a lancet gives me sore fingers, I don't get on with the ones that came with my meters so I have had the disposable Owen Mumford Unistik 3 Normal lancets. Literally just switched to the Unistik 3 Comfort tho and soo much better.

Snotty attitudes by some HCPs are a problem as well. I find it more with practice nurses and I'm convinced they try to bully and trot out the stereotypes to cover up their lack of knowledge !

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The hardest thing for me is to eat the right things when I travel with work. Long-haul flights really screw-up my body clock, the boredom tempts me to drink (which in turn makes me reckless in what I eat) and then there are the endless, tedious business dinners. That is probably part of the reason I got chunky in the first place. It wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't travel so much.

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@oflynj1 I'm interested to know why you posted in a T2 section about living with T2 when you described yourself as T1? Do you think you were mis-diagnosed?