Man I love this "fat head" pizza recipe!

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....e-older-brothers-oldest-sons-faux-carb-pizza/

I'd seen this pizza recipe before but never tried it. To be honest I was a little leery about making it, thinking that it might be a bit of a disappointment compared to the "real thing".

I had no meat to cook for tea last night and it was raining so I didn't want to go to the shops. Started doing the usual, going through the cupboard and thinking about what I could make from a can of tuna or whatever else I could find there. Then I suddenly remembered about this recipe and figured that now was as good a time as any to try it. All I can say is, I'm so glad that I did. :)

No meat this time, but I did have plenty of cheese, mushrooms, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, olives and both green and purple onion. This was a really nice pizza, and I was amazed that you actually can pick it up and eat it by the slice, just like the "real" thing. I'll definitely be making a repeat performance of this again later in the week.

I was so excited about having pizza (haven't had it for years) that I had to snap a quick photo. I'd like to say it tasted as good as it looked, but to be honest I think it tasted even better. :D

fathead pizza.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It does look nice :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I got mine through eBay.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Where can you buy almond flour
Hi bladerfc, I just buy whole raw almonds and mash them up in a small blender as needed. I do it like that because it works out cheaper for me, but I think it gives better fresher flour anyway. :)

BTW. I use a small blender type thing where you just push the top to operate it, a bit like this one. Got it from Aldi for about $20 and it works pretty good. Takes about 30 to 40 seconds to blend up a cup of whole almonds into a fairly nice flour.
small blender.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almond flour = ground almonds which are in the baking section of any UK supermarket.

Real almond flour is slightly finer than ground almonds, but for this pizza and most LC baking, the difference is negligible. And of course, the more finely ground, the more expensive it is...

I love that pizza too. :D:wacky::smug:

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had great success with this pizza recipe too.Anyone thinking of trying it just do!
As I mentioned in a previous post you need to cook any meat or onions,mushrooms for toppings before you build your pizza and I cover the crust with tin foil.The reason being there is a lot of cheese in the dough recipe and it is easy to burn the crust.
Lidl sell 180g of ground almonds for £1.39

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I weighed mine when I made it @bladerfc & it came in at 110 gms almond meal

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Stuff will get done tomorrow what did you use as a base sauce wise?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just used a Leggo's brand pizza sauce which had 12gm carbs per 100gms so added about 2 grams carb per slice

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back to Lidl who sell 200g of grated mozarella for 89p and a good sized pack of sliced pepperoni for 69p.
They were also recently selling really nice tomato sauce (passata) which was only 4.5g carbs per 100g and I reckon you only need 50g or you will soak the pizza base.
They sell really good Bavarian ham and anchovies,baby plum tomato and fresh basil cheap as chips too.
Gotta love the Germans they just will not stand for any rubbish.

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl tomorrow then what's the overall carbs in the pizza then anyone know

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My base (6 slices) came in at 4gm per slice but after adding the sauce, olives, jalapenos & extra cheese it came in at 7.8gms per slice. 2 slices left me very full.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not as expert at carb counting as some but I reckoned about 13 to 15 g carbs for the pizza dough.Say 2-3 more for the tomato sauce and a few more for mozarella on top,depending on how generous you are.So let's say 20g overall plus any other toppings.
However you will struggle to eat more than a couple of slices at a time as the cheesy base whilst excellent is really filling.Or it could be that I am just out of the habit of scoffing carby foods even with hardly any carbs!!

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may be underestimating and stand to be corrected,but it is great and you can pick it up and eat it by the slice.Very satisfying but also very filling.
Even if it is more carbs that I calculate it is still way lower than regular pizza and therefore back on the menu as a treat!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow this looks amazing - so have just made one! Thank you for sharing. Cannot wait to eat it!!!!!!