Insight pump

jonnyedwards

Hi all

Have read a few mixed reviews on this pump. I currently use the Aviva expert and personally live it. Never had a pump before and need to chose for sure next week. I've read up on all of the manufacturers sites and want to go with the insight.

As I've never had a pump before I wont have anything to compare it with, and lots of the negative forum press I have read about it is from users who compare it to other pumps they have had.

Anyone got any good experience of using it?

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
NoI've been using the insight for 3 months, it's my first pump so can't compare it to anything else, I'm finding it very good easy to use (when you get used to it) it is more work than MDI but my levels have been stable with 85% in the 4 to 8 range, my night time levels tended to be low usually waking to a 2 or 3 but since pumping I've not had night time (touch wood ) low, as you may have read the handset is a bit slow to respond but it's not really a issue, and I find being able to change basal rates when working or ill very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

jonnyedwards

I've been using the insight for 3 months, it's my first pump so can't compare it to anything else, I'm finding it very good easy to use (when you get used to it) it is more work than MDI but my levels have been stable with 85% in the 4 to 8 range, my night time levels tended to be low usually waking to a 2 or 3 but since pumping I've not had night time (touch wood ) low, as you may have read the handset is a bit slow to respond but it's not really a issue, and I find being able to change basal rates when working or I'll very useful.
Nice one, and thanks

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Love my insight, had a combo before this, the handset is a bit slower than the aviva expert as it asks you to confirm more often, it was a it irritating at first but I me now used to it. Having pre filled cartridges makes changing them so easy no risk of air bubbles. Good luck with your pump choice, it's great!

Reactions: 2 people

jonnyedwards

Love my insight, had a combo before this, the handset is a bit slower than the aviva expert as it asks you to confirm more often, it was a it irritating at first but I me now used to it. Having pre filled cartridges makes changing them so easy no risk of air bubbles. Good luck with your pump choice, it's great!
Another thank you!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do not like the handset which is a TOTAL failure. I would choose different pump for this reason

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
well I edited my post but if you feel it is right you have already answered for yourself :)

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's some useful videos on you tube from Accu Chek showing how to change the basal rate, cartridge, battery.

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had it for just over a month and get on with it very well. As you said the bad reviews I previously read were from people having other pump experience. For me I find the ability to have different basal rates every hour a godsend. The temporary basal rates have been very good when exercising. Multi wave bolusing is brilliant for some meals as it allows you to deliver some insulin upfront and some over a longer time period, ie for a fatty meal. The info you can get off the pump onto a pc is crazy, I haven't got to grips with it yet but there is a lot of information if you're interested in it. I'm sure other pumps do this sort of stuff too but I haven't found much I don't like yet ☺

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm currently on the Combo, due to replace in few months. in the past I have trialled the Omnipod and liked it. Below are my personal thoughts based upon my own needs.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to look (hands on) at all the UK pumps including the Cell Novo.

I tried the new Insight extensively and could not find it any slower than the Combo to undertake blood tests or to set bolus's etc, if anything I thought it was far better than the existing Combo handset. (edit - there is also a new handset due in month or two with touch swipe sensitive rather than pressure sensitive screen)

In the end my decision was to go for the Insight because I wanted a remote with the option of pump control.

The two others I liked were the Omnipod and Vibe.

The Omnipod I turned down because you must have the remote with you at all times, there are times when I do and do not want to remote control - also the remote is too large and the new one is not due till at least back end 2016 (advised by company rep).

The Vibe I turned down because it did not have remote capability, even though I'd save money on the Dexcom sensors, I decided the remote was more important (edit - this was a close call)

The Cell Novo still seems to be not quite ready, from what I could see they only just recalled all the previous build pumps and were replacing them, in a year or so they might be a good choice for me.

The Medtronic was too large, both pump and handset, the CGM seems to have less fans than the Dexcom.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonnyedwards

I'm currently on the Combo, due to replace in few months. in the past I have trialled the Omnipod and liked it. Below are my personal thoughts based upon my own needs.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to look (hands on) at all the UK pumps including the Cell Novo.

I tried the new Insight extensively and could not find it any slower than the Combo to undertake blood tests or to set bolus's etc, if anything I thought it was far better than the existing Combo handset.

In the end my decision was to go for the Insight because I wanted a remote with the option of pump control.

The two others I liked were the Omnipod and Vibe.

The Omnipod I turned down because you must have the remote with you at all times, there are times when I do and do not want to remote control - also the remote is too large and the new one is not due till at least back end 2016 (advised by company rep).

The Vibe I turned down because it did not have remote capability, even though I'd save money on the Dexcom sensors, I decided the remote was more important.

The Cell Novo still seems to be not quite ready, from what I could see they only just recalled all the previous build pumps and were replacing them, in a year or so they might be a good choice for me.

The Medtronic was too large, both pump and handset, the CGM seems to have less fans than the Dexcom.
Brilliant, thanks for this

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am happy with my pump. The handset is slow and if you read my post that I have just put on the forum it is not without issues, but the response from accu-chek was great!
This is my first pump so have no comparison. Would I choose this pump again knowing what I now know?
Yes I Would. Good luck x

jonnyedwards

I am happy with my pump. The handset is slow and if you read my post that I have just put on the forum it is not without issues, but the response from accu-chek was great!
This is my first pump so have no comparison. Would I choose this pump again knowing what I now know?
Yes I Would. Good luck x
Thanks

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great news, pick my new Insight pump up after Xmas. My Combo told me last week it's now out of warranty, think it gives you a month's notice as it should expire end January.

jonnyedwards

That's great news, pick my new Insight pump up after Xmas. My Combo told me last week it's now out of warranty, think it gives you a month's notice as it should expire end January.
Good luck. It's my first pump and so have nothing to compare against, but I am over the moon with it