Omeprazole

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

Quite a specific question but here goes...

I have recently been prescribed Omeprazole tablets from the doctors for what is believed to be a potential stomach ulcer. I've noticed since taking the tablets that my blood sugars are acting very strangely - I simply can't get them down and my bolus isn't touching anything.
Anyone had any experience with these tablets ? It might be unconnected but I naturally have linked it with he tablets.

S

Shar67

Omeprazole made me really sick, but didn't affect BS. Have you had a blood test done, stomach ulcers can be treated with antibiotics

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No not done anything like that... Doctor is useless ! Can't decide what else it can be. I am injecting insulin like its going out fashion and still stay high ?!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i currently take omprazole 80mg per day ( 2 x 20mg am before food and 2 x 20mg pm before food)
for GERD and grade C oesophagitis

does not affect BG's at all that i have noticed
been taking for a long time but must admit have not checked the side effects in the leaflet for ages

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
I stopped taking it after a week as it made me feel so nauseous. Can't remember if it affected my BG though. :-(

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You could ask for lanzoprazole, same family of drugs but may suit you better?

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor, basically it reduces the amount of stomach acid that is released for digestion. This obviously will have a knock on effect in that, having less acid affects the absobtion of nutrients etc into the blood stream. This can have effect on blood glucose levels. I have been taking omeprozole for many years, but only recently been diagnosed with diabetes, so am unable to really comment on long term effects of omeprazole on blood glucose levels.. sorry