Accu-Chek Insight Rapid Cannula Safety Recall Notice

Rusty650

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I did raise an earlier question about this before last week regarding anyone having received notification from Roche about a temporary stoppage in the supply of the Rapid Insight steel cannulas for the Accu-Chek Insight insulin pump due to a manufacturing problem.

Thanks to everyone who replied, but I just wanted to know if anyone has also seen or received a safety recall notice from Roche advising them that the Rapid insight steel cannula has now been withdrawn with immediate effect as there has been some issues with the steel cannula needle detaching from the contact plate and hence remaining inserted in your skin when you try to remove the cannula ?

I have been advised of this by my DSN via the Roche Infusion rep today. No further release date as to when this may be rectified so back to MDI for me personally until they are re-issued with a new design.

I use the 6mm steel cannula and I am told this effects all sizes of the steel cannula only.

Interested to know if any one has had a similar experience or have indeed been advised by their DSN to stop using them with immediate effect please.

Regards
Si

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I havent heard anything about it! I use steel canulas, no issues do far but it makes me worried a bit . Is there snything on roche website? I suppose we could still use flexi ones but im not very keen on them

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hi I posted on hear a few weeks ago about a steel rapid snapping/detaching and being left in my stomach.

Contacted Roche etc sent the rapid back in their packaging and described everything and told them batch numbers and that I had boxes of the same number and asked them what to do? Had no reply, no calls a bit disappointed really. Now on the tenders great, brilliant but they just don't stick so their held in place by Elastoplast waterproof plasters, yet again a disappointment.

I've not had any sort of notification of a product recall or advice

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I suspect it's the same safety notice issued by Animas as the same manufacturer makes the steel cannulas. Animas cannulas weren't withdrawn though we were advised to use with caution!

Rusty650

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies...

There dosent seem to be anything on the Roche Website 'ewelina' but they have removed the Insight Rapid Infusion set from the product range for the time being and they will not issue any more steel cannulas Infusion sets until further notice.

'Masonbason63' that is a pretty poor response from Roche I have to say. Having a needle snap off from the cannula plate is a serious issue and even if it was an isolated batch, they should have put a recall out for those batches effected immediately.

Serious lack of communication here from Roche it seems.....

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies...

There dosent seem to be anything on the Roche Website 'ewelina' but they have removed the Insight Rapid Infusion set from the product range for the time being and they will not issue any more steel cannulas Infusion sets until further notice.

'Masonbason63' that is a pretty poor response from Roche I have to say. Having a needle snap off from the cannula plate is a serious issue and even if it was an isolated batch, they should have put a recall out for those batches effected immediately.

Serious lack of communication here from Roche it seems.....
Yes Ive noticed that they removed it from the website. I sent them an email but no reply yet. thank you for posting it here . I'm a bit worried as cannula changing time is coming :eek:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@vichill you remove the inserter needle from the Teflon cannula and then prime it

I had a call from my dsn yesterday with options of try the Teflon for a while again, get trained on the combo pump as those cannulae are not affected, or back to MDI. I'm trying the Teflon for the next couple of weeks at least

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
I've just got off the phone to my DSN again.

They've been recalled (Spoke to Roche on Friday when I was made aware of the recall , was promised some 8mm TEFLON which have yet to turn up still!!! I've also been promised some 1cm teflon from the rep to stop them popping out as often as they do , hence the reason me using the steel in the first place. Have been using the steel for a good 5 months with no issues after weeks of issues with the Teflon , but have been told by dsn to NOT used the steel ones under any circumstance , but to return them. I'm now on my last Teflon as those promised by Roche have not been delivered , so it looks like I'm back on to MDI if this fails tonight :(

D_Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son is one of the people who had the rapid cannula snap off in him. Over a month later he's still walking around with a lump of metal in his buttock as surgeons are reluctant to cut it out. No problems so far, just surprised we haven't been told about this recall yet. I expect we'll get the phone call soon though. Son not keen on using the other sets so not sure what we'll do. To be honest with the slowness of the handset and now this I think we'll be going back to the Combo.

Xcer

Yeah I'm tired of accuchek. On the combo all of their own infusion sets were terrible but at least I could get what I wanted.

I loved the Rapids on the insight, they changed my life. If I put one in I knew it would work. Now back on flex my bs goes up and down all the time because of the kinks and problems without the pump noticing them.

Does anyone have any experience with metronics 640G? If they have reliable steel canulas with good adhesive I'm changing now! Who knows how many months /years accuchek will leave us with flexes, probably because they cost almost the double. Sneaky *****.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I have to comment to this Xcer I had problems with the Rapids which I've mentioned on here before but I tried the flex links from 4 Nov and and I've not had any problems at all no kinks or anything and bloods have been behaving extremely well . As you say they cost more which is not fair on self funders , ROCHE have to come up with alternatives as I've also had nightmares with the tenders as well