Lantus/Novorapid temporarely out of fridge due to travel

Alberti

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes & Ex wife
Leaving soon 4 months to Indonesia/Bali. Bought frio bags to keep insulin cool at 18 C while on the plain. But all the insulin what I will be using during these months is also in these bags. My 4 months supply of Lantus/Novorapid will be temporarely out of fridge temp for about 18/20 hours, before it will return into the fridge . Is the insulin then still ok , until the next few months ? I know used its 28 days out of fridge. What about this short period out of fridge temp. ? Can I still use it after 28 days. If not ,how is availablity of lantus/novorapid on Bali Indonesia ?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It says in the leaflet that comes with it how long it lasts out of the fridge. Can't remember the exact number, but I think it's 28 days. It's the same whether it's used or unused.

Reactions: 2 people

Alberti

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes & Ex wife
It says in the leaflet that comes with it how long it lasts out of the fridge. Can't remember the exact number, but I think it's 28 days. It's the same whether it's used or unused.
I know. But its the lantus what I take with me for 4 months. That will be out of fridge for about 18 hours during the flight. Then back into the fridge . Is it still ok then for more then 28 days ??

N

nicolabarnett

Why cant you ask the Airline crew to store your insulin in one of their fridges - i am sure they would do that for you

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could be wrong but I'd say for that brief a period of time it should be fine, the 28 days applied to the fact that once you've actually used it the seal is no longer completely airtight.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would be absolutely fine, no need to worry.