Security clearance for diabetics?

Peter Hulse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently renewed my national security clearance with my employer.. it came through about six weeks later, but a few days after that I got a letter saying that restrictions had been placed upon it: that I should not undertake courier duties and should not be employed in isolated/singleton posts. This, it said, was because I had declared my diabetes. This was explicitly "from a national security perspective" (health and safety was not mentioned). I didn't take it very seriously, as these restrictions' were not relevant to my new job (I'd left one job, but not started a new one). But then my sponsor said I couldn't come on site because of the restrictions, as they had a policy that everyone must have a clear security clearance.

An enquiry to them fid not yield anything useful: the reply just talked about "procedures and guidelines". So I am now looking for another job, but feeling very ****** off. Has this happened to anyone else? It's perhaps worth noting that this firm apparently regard me as disabled (I don't look at it that way), but it seems to be legitimate for the sponsor to discriminate against me anyway (I should add that the sponsor is advised of the restrictions, but not the reason for them.)

Edited to remove employer's details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Peter, are you type 1 or type 2? I have heard of driving restrictions with the DVLA for Type 1 or Type 2 on insulin.

mophead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently renewed my national security clearance with my employer. it came through about six weeks later, but a few days after that I got a letter saying that restrictions had been placed upon it: that I should not undertake courier duties and should not be employed in isolated/singleton posts. This, it said, was because I had declared my diabetes. This was explicitly "from a national security perspective" (health and safety was not mentioned). I didn't take it very seriously, as these restrictions' were not relevant to my new job (I'd left one job, but not started a new one). But then my sponsor said I couldn't come on site because of the restrictions, as they had a policy that everyone must have a clear security clearance.

An enquiry to them fid not yield anything useful: the reply just talked about "procedures and guidelines". So I am now looking for another job, but feeling very ****** off. Has this happened to anyone else? It's perhaps worth noting that DBS apparently regard me as disabled (I don't look at it that way), but it seems to be legitimate for the sponsor to discriminate against me anyway (I should add that the sponsor is advised of the restrictions, but not the reason for them.)
Take it up with your HR Dept and your TU...if you were not told you had to have a full spotless clearance when you started then it could well be a case of discrimination against the "disabled" It sounds to me that there's a touch of jobsworthery going on here...or is your boss in uniform?

Peter Hulse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Take it up with your HR Dept and your TU...if you were not told you had to have a full spotless clearance when you started then it could well be a case of discrimination against the "disabled" It sounds to me that there's a touch of jobsworthery going on here...or is your boss in uniform?
The snag is that, because I'm between jobs, I don't have either. And I've no contractual relationship with the sponsor (who just runs the site, and wouldn't be my employer anyway - my prospective employer isn't amused either). I'm not sure how far employment law extends to national security anyway, though this is wholly civilian.

To make things a little clearer, I was offered a job by xxxxwho work on the site at Dounreay, which is operated by xxxxxxxx They are my sponsor. They insisted on a new clearance, as mine was close to expiry. When it came through, there was much havering while I tried to get a start date, and then I was told I wouldn't be starting.

Edited to remove employer's names.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my days, how distressing and frustrating. I know if you read some of the DVLA threads that if you are insulin dependent then you are potentially at risk of having hypos, which is perhaps why the DBS have put you on restrictions. Can you go back to the DBS / RR and discuss your diabetes? Can you prove, from a testing log for instance, that you don't have hypos perhaps?

I am afraid that Diabetes is classed as a "disability" but I think that most diabetics would say they don't consider themselves has having a disability.

Poor you, don't know what else to suggest. :(

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would liken that to my situation with an offshore clearance (I've also signed the OSA at some point in my career), where I need to jump through all sorts of hoops to demonstrate good control, hypo awareness, self management etc, but then any platform operator can reject me without specifying any reason, and any individual medic can doo the same.

I'm currently involved in a rather pointless discussion about the process safety risk of my pump, being questioned by a medic who is unaware that I'm extremely experienced in that area and that's part of why I'm going to that platform. :banghead:

There are though, certain jobs which are very tough to get a clearance for as a T1D, such as helideck crew, crane operator etc. because of the potential outcomes if things go wrong. I would guess that is some of the thinking behind your situation, but I would argue a risk-based approach in any case.