How long have you been low-carbing?

jacqui-anne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just wondering how long people have been low-carbing! Also how much weight have you lost and what kind of blood results you have had as a result. Any other weird and wonderful changes or health benefits? :)

Reactions: 2 people

jodysd6

I have been doing it for around 2 months and while I'm dissapointed i don't seem to have lost any weight (yet) my blood sugars have never been as good as they are now, i am completely amazed at how much difference it has made!

Reactions: 6 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
About 4-5 years now!
Effects : Don't seem to need the insulin now or the oral meds:cool:

Reactions: 10 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been in ketosis for almost two years.
I have to eat very, very low carb!
I've gone from nearly seventeen stone to hopefully tomorrow eleven and a half stone. I am under twelve. I'm never hungry! I eat little and often!

You could have nearly ordered my coffin!
As every life vital signs reading was very poor, including BP, fatty liver, liver function, kidney function, pulse, blood glucose in disarray and fluctuations from high hyper to low hypoglycaemia. I was in a terrible mess! Hypo hell!!!!!

My consultant, my friends on here and my determination along with very low carbing, has sorted this out but improved my life signs back, all of them, to normal levels, including my BP which when last taken was 'perfect'

I am in my sixtieth year and work in a manual job, part time, I help run and train a youth football team at my local youth club. I have great energy, I am fitter and healthier than I have been in over thirty years!

Low carb lifestyle is for life, I want to see my great grandkids, and I want to be around for a long time yet!

Reactions: 11 people

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I would like to know how low is low carb? I am currently keeping it below 60g a day and trying to eat higher fat versions of foods that I normally eat as lowest possible fat content - I cant cope with high fat, it makes me sick or
gives me a very upset stomach as I don't have a gall bladder anymore but in six days my sugars have gone back into the fives and I've lost 4lbs.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on lowcarb for over 3.5 years plus 16/8 intermittent fasting for the past 9 months. Have lost around 19kgs (41lbs) and kept it off. I've never been able to maintain weight loss this easily in the past and definitely put it down to low carbing.

Goldiespring

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been low carbing (less than 100g a day on a bad day and less than 60 usually) since the beginning of Sept. My BS are in the normal range more frequently than not and I have lost 20Kg. I still have a lot of weight to lose. but I cannot believe how little I am eating in comparison to other diets and I am not always hungry or craving - most days my calorie intake is around 1,100 and I usually have to scrat around to find things to eat to get it to that point. Side effects of low carbing - vision less blurred, boundless energy, staying awake when watching TV, no swollen ankles, no palpitations, no swollen hands, breathlessness gone, overheating and sweating much less frequent. Carb cravings have subsided and I can sit in front of a tray of freshly baked school kitchen fruity flapjacks for a whole meeting and not want one - I know it would make me feel horrendous. I miss bread and baked goods, but am now experimenting with baking my own low carb goodies so I don't have to feel deprived. Worked out all types of veg roasted are better tasting than potatoes and don't make me ill! Courgette spaghetti is tastier than pasta and cauliflower rice is divine! You just have to give them a go. Can you tell that I'm an enthusiastic convert to this way of eating?! I would almost go as far as to say I am glad I was diagnosed because low carbing has not just changed my illness it has changed me. My only reservation is that I am now a diet bore!

Reactions: 9 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been at it (probably max out at 50g a day if that) for about a year but was never much of a high carber anyway. Only lost a few KGs but had none to lose so I can't complain :) Blood sugars aside my favourite outcome has been the impact on my hormonal swings - perimenopausal symptoms currently well under control.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been low carbing since 2008 and deflated in total 12 inches off my waist. Though I believe that LCHF is responsible for the weight loss and improvements in trigs and HDL, it was going organic in 2012, which made the dramatic difference to my eyes and liver health, I'm sure.

D

Deleted member 219428

Since October 3 for me and it's 8 kilos lost, yes!!! (sorry, that's 17,6 pounds). I'm really pleased and cannot believe how easily I've managed to curb the cravings. Had a bout of carb flu for 2/3 days but that's all. I allow myself small treats, 15 gr of 85% dark chocolate or a fruit once in a while...

Reactions: 4 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Peter Kay once famously said "garlic bread is the future", well, he was wrong folks, "LCHF" is the future, I've seen it :)

sammy61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have been low carbing for just over 2 months. I have lost 21lbs. I stick to below 50g but hardly ever go over 25g. Had carb flu, awful cravings, indegestion and not being able to go to the loo (tmi sorry) during the first 2 weeks. But once all that had settled it's been pretty straightforward and I'm enjoying the food esp. cream, ff yogart with berries and pine nuts, almond and cheese bread...oh and celery with garlic cream cheese....not altogether of course!! My appetite has totally reduced and i have to remind myself to eat whereas before i was constantly starving hungry. My downfall is that i don't drink enough fluids!! My sugar levels are much better - normal levels during day but still too high first thing but hopefully that will settle. Learning so much about what I can and can't tolerate. Normal bread is a total no no bar half a lidells roll. But I can have a small portion chips or 2 roast potatoes without issue yay . For anyone out there teetering on the edge of "to do or not to do"....do it, you won't look back.

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Today has almost been my nemesis.... I was busy Christmas shopping after a big bacon and egg breakfast, so didn't manage to eat anything except a few almonds till 4pm. Sweating, shaking, not well enough to drive (thanks hubby for being chauffeur) and total exhaustion. Having had my dinner now, I'm feeling a bit better but still shaky and tired. Is this normal on day 6 of low /no carving? No point in testing my my bs as it registers high when I'm rough as I think I glucose dump!!

jacqui-anne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of great replies here! Thanks xx I've been back to low-carbing seriously only since last Sunday, (after last Saturday night's Indian takeaway carb disaster!) But I've stuck with it all week and I've been feeling great. Although today I don't think I had enough to eat - I had some Greek yogurt with raspberries then had an egg. Didn't have anything else and then went shopping at 4pm. Had to get some lucazade and a biscuit as I felt really dizzy and spaced out while walking round the supermarket with my wee boy. Apart from that though I've been getting more "normal" blood sugar readings than usual, have more energy and don't get cravings for chocolate, bread or chips! In fact as I'm typing this, my family are sitting eating chocolate bars with tea and I'm not even slightly bothered!! My new favourite meal is gammon steak with fried egg, which is what I've just had while everyone else was eating pizza. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reduced carbs since December 2014, LCHF/ketogenic since Feb 2014.

Improved diet, weight loss , improved glucose and cholesterol levels, fewer migraines, less pain/more flexibility in knee joints, and complete loss of zombie brain fog.

Robbity

NikiBlowman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people.
I've been on a lowish carb diet for about 3 years and lost I 13stone in my first year. I've since started resistance training and gained a little bit of weight along the way. A little bit in muscle mass and little from adding back in to many carbs.... I've been back on a low carb high protein diet now for 2 months now. I lost half a stone In the first month then stopped! My friends have all noticed the weight loss despite the scales not agreeing and my strength has rocketed... I'm going to continue as I am for now as I can't keep adding muscle at the same rate as I'm dropping fat forever! I am a little worried though as I've read a long term low carb diet can result in a drop in hormone production especially in T3 levels, but I'm not sure if that is just in very lean individuals?

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
I started low carbing last week but slipped up on day 6, however i will keep going. good luck to anyone just starting and wow to all those who have kept it up and seen improvements.