Definitive list of when you're supposed to test?

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite a few (non-diabetic) people are quite impressed by the amount I test my blood, to which tell them I don't test it enough if I went by what I'm suggested to, is there a list anywhere of them all? I can think of:

- When you wake up
- Pre/post meal (generally 3 meals a day)
- Within 2 hours of driving (or generally, when you get into a car to drive, then every 2 hours while driving)
- When you start exercising and then each hour during exercise
- When you go to bed
- If you feel low
- If When you feel high

Have I missed anything beyond that?

Reactions: 4 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Quite a few (non-diabetic) people are quite impressed by the amount I test my blood, to which tell them I don't test it enough if I went by what I'm suggested to, is there a list anywhere of them all? I can think of:

- When you wake up
- Pre/post meal (generally 3 meals a day)
- Within 2 hours of driving (or generally, when you get into a car to drive, then every 2 hours while driving)
- When you start exercising and then each hour during exercise
- When you go to bed
- If you feel low
- If When you feel high

Have I missed anything beyond that?

sounds good to me,don t we all test like this?!?!?! I do so at least 5 tests a day for me normally on average 8 :)

Reactions: 2 people

Desbrina

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I also test if I feel ill, not nessesaely if I feel high/low, just ill in general

M

mrspuddleduck

When I was first diagnosed I tested to see which specific foods sent my bloods sky high, and which had little effect.

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I test 6 to 8 times a day. More if I feel unwell as I have other conditions which always plays havoc with my bloods

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be fair I test more than most (between 10-12 times) but I test per original poster but always when I start driving and then fairly regularly as the DVLA are quite strict on this , and every half hour with exercise.

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I test upon waking, because I want to know what my FBG is. If it's ever high, I want to do everything poss to get it down otherwise all my BG numbers will be higher than I want all day. If it's fine, I may only test later if I feel unwell - sometimes I get almost hypo late afternoon.

I tested a lot when first diagnosed, to find out what spiked me. These days, I do it if I'm trying a new food.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

41years

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I test upon waking, because I want to know what my FBG is. If it's ever high, I want to do everything poss to get it down otherwise all my BG numbers will be higher than I want all day. If it's fine, I may only test later if I feel unwell - sometimes I get almost hypo late afternoon.

I tested a lot when first diagnosed, to find out what spiked me. These days, I do it if I'm trying a new food.

Hi Celeriac,just to say that I have been Type 1 Diabetic for 41 years now and I regularly check my blood sugar out before every meal (3 times a day),it has been hard work when I first started and is ongoing but I think the secret is to get into a routine of what you are doing including exercise,work,play and sleep.My blood sugars are normally 4-9mmol before a meal.When I go to bed I always check my blood sugar out and if it is occasionally 11-15 mmol I inject myself some fast acting insulin.I inject 1 unit of insulin to reduce my BG 2 mmol.When I go to bed now if I am very warm or hot on the inside of me then I know my BG is too high.And I need to inject some fast acting insulin.I eat sweet foods and have a sweet tooth but only in small amounts.I would love to be free of type 1 diabetes and continually pray for this as I am a Christian,who believes wholeheartedly in Jesus.I would love to be free of it so I can run and do exercises regularly without worrying about my BG levels.Does anybody else have this?

Sent from 41years.

41years

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Celeriac,just to say that I have been Type 1 Diabetic for 41 years now and I regularly check my blood sugar out before every meal (3 times a day),it has been hard work when I first started and is ongoing but I think the secret is to get into a routine of what you are doing including exercise,work,play and sleep.My blood sugars are normally 4-9mmol before a meal.When I go to bed I always check my blood sugar out and if it is occasionally 11-15 mmol I inject myself some fast acting insulin.I inject 1 unit of insulin to reduce my BG 2 mmol.When I go to bed now if I am very warm or hot on the inside of me then I know my BG is too high.And I need to inject some fast acting insulin.I eat sweet foods and have a sweet tooth but only in small amounts.I would love to be free of type 1 diabetes and continually pray for this as I am a Christian,who believes wholeheartedly in Jesus.I would love to be free of it so I can run and do exercises regularly without worrying about my BG levels.Does anybody else have this?

Sent from 41years.
If I am trying new foods then I always check my blood sugar level out before and after.I think for breakfast I always before when i was working and walking to work had 6 weetabix,semi skimmed milk and a bit of sugar as well,with cup of tea with 2 sweetex.I normally have 90 carbohydrates when I was working at 7am time.But now have changed this to 4 sliced wholemeal toasts with Bertioli margarine,hot baked beans,small can and occasionally some scrambled egg with it with ground cinnamon powder on top of this.And after this 1 banana as well with cup of tea and 2 sweetex.This is all for breakfast.Then walk to work around 25 minute walk and get to work,and then eat my lunch at midday.My BG level was 9.3 mmol before lunch which is brilliant then have around 70 carbohydrates-a cheese or tuna sandwich of 2 slices of bread,apple, banana, plain digestive biscuit,and dark choc.small kit kat bar,and café latte with 2 sweetex.Then still at work at 3pm go for quick toilet break and check my BG and have 20 carbohydrates to keep me going until I finish work.Then check BG before walking home and have a dark choc.bar if I need something before walking home.
Then for dinner at 6-7pm I have around 60 carbohydrates,some patatoes, or a lasagne,or a steak pie with some vegetables.I think it is important not to have too much carbohydrates for dinner if you are not doing any exercises afterwards as I believe you will be putting on weight if you have a lot of carbohydrates before going to bed.
If not working as a job and relaxing at home then I would reduce my breakfast carbohydrates down to 60.
I feel that BG control is related to how much insulin you inject inside of yourself.
What do you all think of this carbohydrate intake for a 49 year old,do you think it is too much or not?
I would love to hear from you.

41years

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If I am trying new foods then I always check my blood sugar level out before and after.I think for breakfast I always before when i was working and walking to work had 6 weetabix,semi skimmed milk and a bit of sugar as well,with cup of tea with 2 sweetex.I normally have 90 carbohydrates when I was working at 7am time.But now have changed this to 4 sliced wholemeal toasts with Bertioli margarine,hot baked beans,small can and occasionally some scrambled egg with it with ground cinnamon powder on top of this.And after this 1 banana as well with cup of tea and 2 sweetex.This is all for breakfast.Then walk to work around 25 minute walk and get to work,and then eat my lunch at midday.My BG level was 9.3 mmol before lunch which is brilliant then have around 70 carbohydrates-a cheese or tuna sandwich of 2 slices of bread,apple, banana, plain digestive biscuit,and dark choc.small kit kat bar,and café latte with 2 sweetex.Then still at work at 3pm go for quick toilet break and check my BG and have 20 carbohydrates to keep me going until I finish work.Then check BG before walking home and have a dark choc.bar if I need something before walking home.
Then for dinner at 6-7pm I have around 60 carbohydrates,some patatoes, or a lasagne,or a steak pie with some vegetables.I think it is important not to have too much carbohydrates for dinner if you are not doing any exercises afterwards as I believe you will be putting on weight if you have a lot of carbohydrates before going to bed.
If not working as a job and relaxing at home then I would reduce my breakfast carbohydrates down to 60.
I feel that BG control is related to how much insulin you inject inside of yourself.
What do you all think of this carbohydrate intake for a 49 year old,do you think it is too much or not?
I would love to hear from you.
Can I also ask what best exercises do you think would be good for a middle aged type 1 Diabetic to do-swimming,walking,running,please what you do if you are a type 1 Diabetic?If this is once a week,twice a week?

Sent from 41years.