Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
Hey everyone,

I'm still relatively new to pump therapy as of October 15th, absolutely loving it- but fine tuning my control is still a work in progress.

I've already got my A1c down to 6.8% from around 8–10% in blood tests prior to therapy. :D The main benefit in this short time is the predictability in my basal, I now fall gradually rather than plumment- the security this gives me before going to sleep at night is wonderful.
All this said, I'm still experiencing problems with my bolus and getting nasty spikes- but working on getting my basal rates throughout the day tuned to accomodate my insulin requirements.

However, on topic: Please could someone explain/recommend how to calculate amount to "Fill Cannula" when fitting a new infusion set?

I want to ensure I'm not accidentally dripping a small amount of insulin into myself (trying my hardest to control factors like this to make my patterns as transparent as possible). I think I was recommended 0.3–0.6u originally but wanted to know if there's a more precise way of figuring it out.

I use the Minimed Mio infusion set 60cm tubing and the Medtronic 640g pump.

Also would anyone care to give their opinions on the infusion set that suits them best? In respect to:
  • Tube length
  • Needle length (if it's possible to get a shorter cannula than 6mm)
  • 90° vs angled sets
Also I'd be interested to know, where do you put/conceal your pump?

Hope you're all having a good evening. :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Maxy personally I use the sure-T sets, which the cannula is filled before I insert it, I'm trying to think when I first got my pump what I used to fill the mio sets to buy afraid I can't remember sorry, I'm sure someone else will though.

I use the sure-T as I had problems with the plastic cannula's not going into my skin properly, kinking etc, no problems with these ones though.

My pump is either in my bra, pants, or I wear a hid-in body band

Abbie :)

Reactions: 3 people

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Maxy, i have been pumping with 640g since August, using mio with maybe 40cm tubing (the middle one) my DSN said that for mio you should fill cannula to 0.3. I am quite happy with mio and tube length, my pump is in a sock in the middle of my bra, clipped to my pyjamas for sleep, or in a belt for exercise.

Reactions: 2 people

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
Hi @Maxy personally I use the sure-T sets, which the cannula is filled before I insert it, I'm trying to think when I first got my pump what I used to fill the mio sets to buy afraid I can't remember sorry, I'm sure someone else will though.

I use the sure-T as I had problems with the plastic cannula's not going into my skin properly, kinking etc, no problems with these ones though.

My pump is either in my bra, pants, or I wear a hid-in body band

Abbie :)
Thanks for reply Abbie. :) What are advantages of T-sets, they're the metal cannula ones right?

Hi Maxy, i have been pumping with 640g since August, using mio with maybe 40cm tubing (the middle one) my DSN said that for mio you should fill cannula to 0.3. I am quite happy with mio and tube length, my pump is in a sock in the middle of my bra, clipped to my pyjamas for sleep, or in a belt for exercise.

I've been doing an advised 0.250 (left default after first use) so the 0.3 sounds about right. :)

Thanks for reminding me about the clip- I initially removed it due to my preference so far of keeping it in pocket during the day, although I find it frustrating not having the pocket space during the day.. I've also got one of the Spy belts but was unable to find a way/location to put it without it being very visible under my clothes. At bed time I just leave it on the bed loose, seems to be okay this way.
I tried the Medtronic quick-sets also but found two of them a bit painful for some reason compared to the Mio which have been very comfortable and easy to use.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Have a look at the leaflet in the box. It tells you the amount. I use silhouettes and sure ts which are different amounts.

srv128

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey everyone,

I'm still relatively new to pump therapy as of October 15th, absolutely loving it- but fine tuning my control is still a work in progress.

I've already got my A1c down to 6.8% from around 8–10% in blood tests prior to therapy. :D The main benefit in this short time is the predictability in my basal, I now fall gradually rather than plumment- the security this gives me before going to sleep at night is wonderful.
All this said, I'm still experiencing problems with my bolus and getting nasty spikes- but working on getting my basal rates throughout the day tuned to accomodate my insulin requirements.

However, on topic: Please could someone explain/recommend how to calculate amount to "Fill Cannula" when fitting a new infusion set?

I want to ensure I'm not accidentally dripping a small amount of insulin into myself (trying my hardest to control factors like this to make my patterns as transparent as possible). I think I was recommended 0.3–0.6u originally but wanted to know if there's a more precise way of figuring it out.

I use the Minimed Mio infusion set 60cm tubing and the Medtronic 640g pump.

Also would anyone care to give their opinions on the infusion set that suits them best? In respect to:
  • Tube length
  • Needle length (if it's possible to get a shorter cannula than 6mm)
  • 90° vs angled sets
Also I'd be interested to know, where do you put/conceal your pump?

Hope you're all having a good evening. :)

Maxy it depends on which infusion set you use and the length of the canula. The following link has all the details for the each set manufactured by Medtronic.

http://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/customer-support/infusion-set-support/compare-set

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
Thanks for all of your replies, I found the instructions (place was a mess and couldn't find it at the time and it said just as had been stated- 0.3 u in my case. :)

Going on a stag do this weekend (paint balling followed by pub crawl) so going to have to consider where to put the pump during the activity - heard the impact from paintballs is pretty powerful (enough to bruise) so will have to bear this in mind. Planning on doing a temp basal 75% during the activity.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for all of your replies, I found the instructions (place was a mess and couldn't find it at the time and it said just as had been stated- 0.3 u in my case. :)

Going on a stag do this weekend (paint balling followed by pub crawl) so going to have to consider where to put the pump during the activity - heard the impact from paintballs is pretty powerful (enough to bruise) so will have to bear this in mind. Planning on doing a temp basal 75% during the activity.
Wear a box to protect your privates and put it in there too...

Reactions: 4 people

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
Wear a box to protect your privates and put it in there too...
Never played a sport where I've been specifically at risk of taking a hit to the jewels so never owned a box. :D

I've been told by separate people to now protect my face, my pump .. And now my manhood. Sounds like overall it's just best to not get shot altogether- I'm rather excited.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Paint balling is very painful but yields beautifully spherical bruises. Maybe don't wear your pump at all whilst you are playing, you can always reconnect every so often and bolus the basal you missed if it's going to be a long time but generally the games are fairly quick. The supervisors/instructors could possibly hold onto it for you

Reactions: 6 people

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
Paint balling is very painful but yields beautifully spherical bruises. Maybe don't wear your pump at all whilst you are playing, you can always reconnect every so often and bolus the basal you missed if it's going to be a long time but generally the games are fairly quick. The supervisors/instructors could possibly hold onto it for you
I found out that it was painful, but unlike some people avoided pulling any heroic Rambo stunts and being lit up. :D

The instructor said he'd give me body armour (padded vest) but then, I assume forgot. All was fine however, first time I was shot it was a direct hit to face, went straight through the grilled bits of the mask and into my mouth. As the games were only 7–10 minutes long or so before moving into safe area it was fairly easy to monitor what my levels were doing; I did a reduced basal (75%) and had to keep topping up with glucotabs and had a bite to eat beforehand.

All in all was great fun! Wish it wasn't so mild/rainy- the mask steaming up became a big problem. Final game was 'hunt the stag', (firing remainder of ammo into the stag execution style). :smug: Poor boy.

Reactions: 4 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Haha, paintballing with a pump sounds a bit risky but glad you enjoyed it! ;-) I would have just taken it off altogether as you would have been running around and probably didn't need much insulin anyway. For short periods of time it's fine to unclip. ;-) I keep my 640G attached to middle of my bra or in a hid-in pump pouch (www.hid-in.com). I use the pouch for sleeping or if I'm wearing a top that is not easily accessible! ;-) They are really comfortable and I usually forget I'm even wearing it! :)

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Oh and according to my pump manual, it's 0.300 units to fill a 6mm cannula and 0.500 units to fill a 9mm cannula. ;-) I have the Mio's 6mm with the 60cm tubing which is perfect for me. I find the 40cm tubing too short.