Terrified of needles

Abbiec12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Okay is it just me or are other people like terrified of any other needles and blood tests etc, but are completely fine with injecting and testing everyday?

I dread it soooo much when they need to take blood at the hospital, it's soo cringey! Is anyone else the same??

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm much the same :)

Absolutely hate having to have bloods taken but don't think twice about firing a needle or lancet into myself, isn't it strange :confused:

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not particularly terrified of any but theirs certain needles that I'm not fond of having, like when you have to have an injection at the dentist, I dislike these a lot mainly due to the way they feel. I don't mind having bloods taken but that's mainly because I'm used to it! :)

bruce_no1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Possibly because when you are injecting or taking a glucose reading you are in control, while the blood samples are being taken (by I must add very professional people) they are putting the needle in?

Reactions: 4 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also hate having my blood taken. I think it's partly where its done as well, having a needle in a vein is always gonna be nastier than into fat as far as I'm concerned!

Abbiec12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Glad I'm not the only one haha! Yeah veins are defiantly worse! I can't even watch another diabetic person inject or test themselves either though.... I think I'm just really queasy!

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to care, when I started having to inject insulin it was hilarious. Diabetes has made it so they're all sharp pointy things now, no difference how long or thick they are!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have a phobia about injections too. I think it goes back to when I was a child and our GP would come to our house to give us the usual childhood inoculations. I have a memory of being dragged out from behind the sofa where I was hiding and having a huge needle jammed into my arm. I must have been about five.
Since then I have avoided injections. I have only had one in the last 60 years, when I went to India for the first time 25 years ago. I have been there again since then, but don't have the injections.
I used to joke that I could never become a drug addict as I would not be able to inject myself. I used to dread being diagnosed with diabetes, as I didn't want to have to inject myself with insulin.
Actually I did use to give blood regularly when the blood donor people came to my workplace every year, and giving blood doesn't bother me. And I can put up with the injection into the gums at the dentist.
It's just injections into muscle that I can't take, so I hope I will never have to inject insulin.

M

mrspuddleduck

I think I must be abnormal! I don't have a problem at all, in fact I sometimes freak the nurse/technician out because I like watching them take my blood. Perhaps I have vampire tendencies! ;-).

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think distraction is in order when having bloods taken......................

Whilst in hospital, I was taken seriously ill, and they had to call a doctor out urgently, as I was haemoraging severely, from the back passage. It turned out, to be a young, attractive, student Dr.

After she had taken the blood, she apologised for the mess. I looked down at my forearm. She had completely punctured, through a vein twice, and had attempted four other times, to find a vein. I did't feel a thing, as I was totally absorbed, staring down her cleavage in awe.

She could have tried, another twenty times, and I was a little disappointed, when she eventually, found the vein. I can honestly say, on that occasion I thoroughly enjoyed giving blood..........................

Abbiec12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I wish I could enjoy it haha!!! Hoping I'll eventually get used to it

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay is it just me or are other people like terrified of any other needles and blood tests etc, but are completely fine with injecting and testing everyday?

Yep, that's me as well - though I don't have to inject, but I'll test all the time without a second thought .

I'm getting worse in my old age too. It's so bad I'll have fillings done at the dentists, expressly without the needle - even had a root canal done that way once (in that case the dentist said that the nerve was so shot I wouldn't feel a thing - and I didn't).

I remember years ago, just after giving blood in a big donor session when a bloke opposite me collapsed in front of my eyes, right into his tea and biscuits. Obviously totally used to it, the nurses carted him off without fuss and laid him down somewhere out of sight, to recover.

In the next session, 6 months later, I was telling my mate about it when he suddenly turned a funny colour and promptly collapsed into his tea and biccies. Feeling horribly guilty that I'd brought it all on with my tale, I stayed with him until he came around.

Fortunately, he didn't blame me but said for him it had been like turning off an old valve telly - as the sound faded slowly, his vision had gone down to a very small dot before he blacked out completely. Always thought it odd, that.