Why did you get tested?

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read that approximately 590,000 in the UK don't know they have Diabetes, it made me wonder how most Type 2's discover they have it, my discovery was a tad bizarre in that my daughter in law saw a well known local medium who told her ' get your Mother in law to get tested for Diabetes'...... now Diabetes runs in my family in fact my sister died in 1966 of kidney failure due to undiagnosed Diabetes so I knew I was at risk.....at the time the medium gave her advice I was working in a private school that had a matron, as I was chatting to her one day I told her what the medium had said so she tested my blood which was high, she told me to come back the next day for a fasting test and it was still high so she suggested I see my doctor, I had no symptoms but no doubt eventually I would have which would have sent me to the doc, the rest is history :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I found out after I had a range of blood tests for other issues I was having at the time, although I had already had my suspicions.
The only signs I had were sleepiness after eating, I was nodding off in the armchair, something I'd never done before - no other symptoms at all though. The rest is history lol.

Reactions: 6 people

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed by accident.

My sister in law had just been diagnosed as a type 2 two month ago. To help her, I bought her a blood glucose test meter.

She was not too impressed, so she asked me to do a test on myself to show her what a "normal" blood glucose level should be. Being me I thought "I will show her" and did two separate tests on myself. Both results were above 20.

She said "that meters ****" but I wasnt convinced, so off to the Drs I went for "proper tests". I was diagnosed as type 2. and apparentlly have been suffering from type 2 for over twelve months .

Now I am not sure if I did the right thing in buying her the meter, but in the long term I suppose I will be greatfull

Reactions: 9 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found out because I had thrush and then really bad cystitis and went to my Walk In clinic and when the nurse tested for cystitis it came back with high glucose content. She told me to go to the doctors the following week after the anti-biotics and get tested again. Which I did and low and behold..... :meh:. After diagnosis I looked at this website and discovered that I had a lot of the symptoms of diabetes and explained quite a few things! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 8 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the start of thius year I started having to urinate far more often. Immediately thought Prostate, and then tried to self-diagnose via Dr. Google. Ended up thinking it might be Diabetes, so continued googling and found this site. Started reading and learning, and eventually in March bought a meter. Did a couple of Tests over a few Sunday mornings and had readings in the 17's every time, which just about confirmed my fears.

Had my annual blood pressure appointment coming up, so asked the nurse for a HbA1c test, which she did.

Got a call from the surgery and made an appointment to see my GP, and he told me my result was 88, and I was a type 2 diabetic, and would be for life. 3 months later my next HbA1c came back as 32, and he changed his tune somewhat.

Reactions: 10 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I went to GP because my hair was falling out, I was tired and had blurred eyesight. He took blood for tests for under active thyroid, I asked "could it be diabetes?" to which he replied " no, I don't think so" as my main reason for consulting him was the hair loss!!! That was in 2006 and results came back positive for type 2 diabetes. p.s.my thyroid's fine

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I was feeling generally awful: thrush, constantly thirsty, sooooo tired and then my eyesight started playing up. Then one day I was doing some course work. Spent about 10 hours reading then handwriting answers. As the day went on I found I couldn't see anything unless it was beyond arms length. The next morning the world was more or less shades of grey with tunnel vision. I thought I was just exhausted.

Coincidentally my neighbour who is diabetic had got herself a new monitor so when I popped round for a cuppa and told her about my eyesight she told me that eyesight problems can be a symptom of diabetes and tried her new monitor out on me. First reading was twenty something. Second reading with her old monitor was even higher.

So I made an appointment with the doctor. I didn't think it was particularly urgent so took one for a week's time. The doctor looked at me as though thinking 'hypochondriac' then tested me reading was 32.

Reactions: 13 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I found out by having a routine blood test for something else

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was called in for a routine checkup (MoT for oldies?) and diagnosed from a blood test, with another a fortnight later to confirm.
I used to enjoy a nap in the afternoons, my energy levels were a bit up and down, my cholesterol was ok-ish on statins, and I occasionally had symptoms which I thought were due to my heart condition plus old age, but which I now think were false hypos (hands shaky after physical effort, pale, a bit sweaty, unco-ordinated and a bit grumpy). I have never been overweight, always tried to eat healthily and felt generally fit. I can't remember when my feet started to feel odd but I'm pretty sure it was after diagnosis.

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to the Doctor with completely unrelated symptoms. They did loads of tests, eventually including an HbA1c. I had none of the standard Diabetes symptoms really with the exception of thrush. Since I have been LCHF and lost 10kg all the other symptoms and ailments disappeared.

Reactions: 12 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about six years ago, so I have an annual blood test to check that I am taking the right dosage of levothyroxine. Last year my GP told me I was in danger of becoming diabetic and had to watch my diet. She didn't really explain anything more and I thought it was just to scare me into eating better, so I didn't take any notice. I was eating a lot of sweet stuff, biscuits, cake and chocolate, and going to the pub 3-4 times a week for a pub meal, which always included chips, and 2 or 3 pints of beer. I did put on a few pounds, but wasn't more than a stone overweight, and thought I would lose a few pounds over the winter.
But my annual blood test in August showed I had gone from HbA1c 47 last year to 49 this year.

If I had known more about what these numbers meant last year, I think I would have been more careful with my diet. But there again I am in most of the high risk groups so it could have been anything, including the statins I was prescribed, that pushed me into the diabetic range. Anyway I am there now so just have to deal with it.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heart failure and have a full blood screening every year ... I was pre diabetes T2 for about 4 years .. until I took the advice of my nurse and started eating to the eat well plate ... This threw me well and truly into the diabetic range. The nursed almost punched the air and did high five one of the other nurses when my blood test came back confirming diabetes. I will never trust Drs or nurses again after this.

Edited to add ... Its ok because I have found so truly wonderful people here ... and going back to my 'normal diet' my blood sugars are back in the normal range ..

Reactions: 11 people

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
About 5 years ago my mother at 75 was diagnosed as a diabetic with fasting BG around 8 (despite being of healthy weight) and she was given a meter. As she had heard it can be genetic she tested my sister and myself with it. Mine seemed quite high (6.0) so she suggested I go see the doc and get a Glucose tolerance test (I'd also had gestational diabetes which also predisposes you to T2 later on). I was told i was pre-diabetic and given diabetes UK stuff about the eat well plate ( those damned starchy carbs with every meal). As it happens i didn't take it very seriously then as fasting BG was only 6.1 and i had a very stressful year while remodelling a house and various other things.
Going for the re-test a year later it was 6.6 and i was called in to see the doc. She wanted to put me on metformin and statins but I was not having that so decided to find out more about it. 3 weeks of 'food confusion ' followed when i didn't know what to eat. then found this site and my life became so much better. Low carb has been a godsend.
I used to feel the need for a nap every afternoon. I used to get irritable if i didn't eat regularly. I was suffering night sweats. I was putting on weight in spurts (my bodies 'set point' seemed to be increasing and I had reached 65kg which i wan't happy with but didn't seem to be able to do anything about even if i tried to cut down on food). I now believe all these things were caused by the diabetes which was genetic.
3 months of low carb and energy has massively increased - all symptoms have gone and I feel great. The diagnoses has resulted in me being probably healthier now than at any time in my life previously.
Knowledge is key to making changes that can make you healthier and it saddens me that the NHS is still wedded to the eat well plate and the belief that diabetes is irreversible and progressive. I'm convinced the right diet and exercise can beat it into submission even if one has to be careful of carbs for life.

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a bad urinary tract infection. It was the second one I'd had in two years, which the GP felt shouldn't be happening at my age. Plus I have a family history of diabetes, had had high BG readings in the past and had the various symptoms of "metabolic syndrome" (high BP, overweight, high purine levels, fatty liver). No brainer really..

Lisa_bubbles_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to the doctors for re occurring thrush. She tested a urine sample and it contained glucose . Straight away she wanted blood tests and tested my blood sugar . Which read 22.2 oh my . Results came back type 2 diabetes and very under active thyroid. That was such a shock to me . Now on metformin and thyroid tablets . My bg is between 9 and 14 . What a difference and I feel so much better.
I was also very tired but put that down to work . Late finishes early starts but now have lots more energy and not so lethargic.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After months of feeling hot and 'wobbly', particularly around mid-morning and then a bit dizzy at times during the rest of the day, with a really tired feeling after meals, I went to the GP who said he was a bit flummoxed and asked me to get a 'routine' blood test.

In the following consultation, after the results had arrived, came the 'Tom Hanks Moment' - I'd graduated, said the GP (do they get these witticisms from the same GP Manual?). I replied I hadn't even realised I'd been enrolled on the course. Oh, no, says the doc, your blood sugars have been getting progressively higher for some years now.

I really don't recall any dire warnings from him in previous consultations, or advice to urgently lose weight, exercise more etc. It's no use getting aerated about that now, you just have to get on with it.

But I do sometimes wonder if I might have been able to do something about it, had I really been warned.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
One day I was fine, the next I could not see. Optician sent me to doctor, within two weeks I was on insulin.

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I went for a thyroid test and constant ear infections so I went for blood test, I got a urgent letter through the post on the Saturday morning, Monday morning went, and was diagnosed, been on metformin and diet control since x

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I went to GP for recurring infection, sent for blood test and she called me four days later, got me into the surgery then onto the merry-go-round - nurse, dietician, Desmond course, fortnightly consults and help using a meter, issued by the surgery, along with medication. I cannot fault my surgery - they have been very good and my dn was so supportive. Sadly she has now gone in costcutting measures - just hope the multitasking nurse is as good. My problem is although my husband and pharmacist daughter are so supportive, I have no diabetic friends and feel very isolated at times.

GhostTalket

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed 15 years ago, I was always a big person even as a child. From the age of 15 I had insomnia and later on about the age of 20 I went to the doctor about it and nothing was done. It wasn't till I changed doctors 15 years ago, that I had a blood test and they told me that I was a type 2. But throughout my childhood I would sometimes fall asleep in class, would always have a drink in class as I would get a dry mouth.

But the problem I have is my blood sugar levels was controlled, but now they are going back to what they was when I was diagnosed even though I'm taking the medication that controlled it. My levels now are high again, even though I'm still taking the tablets and insulin at 24 units in the evening. My levels can be from 10.2 upto 29.6 which was my highest, I have an appointment tomorrow to see if I need a change in medication which at the moment is 1000mg metformin twice a day, 80mg gliclazide in the morning and 120mg at night. I also have to take anti depression tablets and sleeping tablet as I suffer from panic attacks and mood swings but so far only diagnosed as depression, but I have the same symptoms as a friend of mine that suffers from bipolar.