Noctura 400 - help with getting a custom mask

bonerp

Hi for those who have or are considering buying the noctura 400, the mask I found sits directly on my closed eyeballs and can be uncomfortable (in my case).
I've tried both masks but feel some customisation or different masks are required. Something like thicker padding inserts... Like the kind you get with cycle helmets.
We aren't all the same! Too lose and it falls off. Too tight and it's just too uncomfortable.
Anyway I contacted noctura directly today and they said they are soon to look at different mask carriers which is great news. They were very helpful. But I can't help feel a little encouragement from other users wouldn't go amiss.
This is an amazing product. But it's in need of tweaks to help make it more acceptable.
So to cut it short, why not drop them a line if you could do with some minor tweaks. People power!

Paul

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have been using the mask for just over a year now and although it can be felt when wearing it -- it has delivered improvements to my back of eyes so I am inclined to just adjust the strap to the most comfortable I can make it and get on with it.

I feel the issues you speak of are a tiny price to pay for continued eyesight but that is just me.

all the best

bonerp

I'm glad it fits for you, but I'd like it to work for me also. Minor tweaks to the mask carrier would mean I can tight it up and be happy that it is more secure. Currently it isn't and just flops off.
I'm convinced the Noctura 400 will be an amazing piece of kit for many people. My suggestion is nothing against the product. Just the requirement to make provision to fit individuals more effectively.
I've already volunteered to be a guinea pig.
My point is that if it is uncomfortable to the point where people may consider it unsuitable/unusable, don't give up - provide constructive feedback.....else they'll never know.

Reactions: 3 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
at my 3 monthly eyer mask change appointments with my optician , he always asks if I have any feedback for Noctura and I have pointed out that the mask is slightly "felt " while wearing and that the strap can work loose sometimes during the night-- this is also evident in the usage stats that are downloaded from the mask.
This information is already being fed back to Noctura by my optometrist.

When I visited the company headquarters last year prior to starting with the mask I also pointed this out to them at that time( I tried it onand wore it for a short time there ) and was told that there was work being done to slim down the design and improve the fit and mask carrier under way, so perhaps your wishes will be met soon.

Reactions: 4 people

stevieboy269

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there ........ I am new to this site/forum and find it a brilliant source of information.

I am having my first home appointment with The Outside Clinic (part of the Lloyds group) re starting with the Noctura 400 sleep mask on the 17th November so will give you all periodic updates.

stevieboy269

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ........... I have had the home consultation/eye test and everything went well. The mask was demonstrated and seems extremely simple to use. The report is being sent to Noctura and I am awaiting their call so the mask can be programmed to my sleeping hours.
The mask works for 8 hours in any 14 hour period. For me I sleep at night but for someone who works shifts it can be programmed to work during several different 14 hour periods.

All very positive and I can't wait.

ayoun_djalil

Hi every one,

Is there any drawbacks on your eyes when using noctura 400? from my knowledge there no treatment without negative effect? is this a case for noctura 400? I wish this mask 100% positive.

stevieboy269

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi every one,

Is there any drawbacks on your eyes when using noctura 400? from my knowledge there no treatment without negative effect? is this a case for noctura 400? I wish this mask 100% positive.

Hi there ........ From all the information I have found on the web and from my discussions with Noctura and the optometrist who came to see me there are no negative side effects. When I spoke to Noctura they told me they had to supply evidence of safety from data they had gathered over a number of years to get the CE Approval they have for the mask. If you need more reassurance I would suggest you contact the Noctura Advisory Line on 01740 669 143 for further information.

Ralphy

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi
I am very interseted in the mask for preventative measures for my son. He has been type 1 diabetic for 4 years exactly. His eye sight is currently fine, do you think this is also a good device to stop retinopathy from occuring in the future?
Thanks

Caesar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Ralphy I've been a type 1 diabetic for 18 years and I've been using the mask for nearly 2 years now. I'm using it for preventive purposes. I didn't have signs of retinopathy when I started using the mask and I do not have any now, despite my everyday ups and downs. My HbA1c has always been good but I know that is only an average value. Some people even say that swings can be as bad for the eyes as having high BG all the times. I attended an event when the company which has developed the mask was first spreading the news about this product. I liked the science behind it and I decided to commit myself. In a certain sense it's like if the light emitted by the mask would reduce the stress the retina goes through every night. It is counterintuitive but the eyes need more energy (oxygen) over night, even if we sleep, because of the darkness. This is true as for diabetics as for non-diabetics. The issue is that diabetic people do suffer other issues related to their blood microvasculature, which carries the oxygen around. The mask brings the retinal oxygen need down to normal avoiding bad consequences (starting with retinal hypoxia). I'm not sure when the NHS will really cover this but, as I've mentioned other times on this forum, I'm pretty satisfied with my commitment. Downsides apart (cost/initial comfort), the mask has cleared my mind from worrying about developing issues in the future and I'm happy as my philosophy has always been "preventing is better than treating". Regarding your son, 4 years of diabetes may sound a bit early but when retinopathy will trigger is a very subjective matter. On the other end, the mask does not have side effects according to the company and the results of their clinical studies.

Yodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been using the Noctura 400 sleep mask for the last nine months. I was diagnosed with Diabetic Retinopathy twelve months ago. I can honestly say that I have had no problems using the mask and it is quite comfortable to wear. After using the Noctura 400 for six months my optician told me that my Diabetic Retinopathy was improving. I haven't had laser or injections this improvement was entirely due to wearing the mask. This week I received the results of my annual eye screening and thought I should share them with you. The screening shows no Diabetic Retinopathy in either eye. I am very grateful to Noctura and the Outside Clinic.

35yearsofType1

Just wondered is anyone still using this product? What types of retinopathy has it improved? Proliferative retinopathy or just maculopathy? Thanks

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondered is anyone still using this product? What types of retinopathy has it improved? Proliferative retinopathy or just maculopathy? Thanks

My worry with this is why didn’t the NHS take it on? Of course be very interested in it if it helped.

35yearsofType1

My worry with this is why didn’t the NHS take it on? Of course be very interested in it if it helped.

Apparently the NHS trial stated there wasn’t a significant difference in use and not use but the company who make it state that, that was due to lack of use. Apparently the masks have a timer so the company know how long and when they have been used - but obviously are they saying that as they want to increase profits?

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently the NHS trial stated there wasn’t a significant difference in use and not use but the company who make it state that, that was due to lack of use. Apparently the masks have a timer so the company know how long and when they have been used - but obviously are they saying that as they want to increase profits?

Maybe, some questions over it. Only one way to find out!