Itchy legs, need suggestions

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have had a very bad bout of itchy lower legs the last couple of days.( scratched myself to red ribbons) I've had it before and the doctor gave me steroid cream.
It's definitely NOT high BG. It may be linked to dry skin, but moisturiser didn't put it right. I tried having a bath this morning( usually shower) and put some baby oil on the legs afterwards. It cleared after a couple of hours.
I'm in the swimming pool regularly and my gym bag has a tube of baby moisture cream in it, which I use.
I've searched the interweb, but can't find an explanation. I do have pets and I know it's flea season, but i have no bites and the creatures have all been "Frontlined".
One GOOd thing I've found out as a result
I haven't had a bath for a couple of years, because , since my stroke, I had such a struggle to get in and out. I've been going to the gym assiduously for about that time and I did both easily this morning. No splash as I sat down and onto my knees in one go to get out.
Hana

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Same amount of metformin as usual 2 x 500 per day
Sue. I'm not aware of having made any changes to life. Eating and exercise pretty much the same every week as is Bg.
In any case it's not urticaria,No bumps!
Hana

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I don't suppose you've changed your washing powder or conditioner recently? I know my wife is sensitive to certain conditioners.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Thanks guys
Circulation checked out at non-diabetic levels: perfect. Use non-bio laundry products. Johnson's baby moisturiser used regularly.
Have had no more itching since soaking in the bath on Saturday morning.( followed by baby cream)
I still think it's moisture resistant dry skin.
Or some of the insulation from the loft escaped during T1 and son-in-law's emptying of it on Friday. We are expecting the team to come put in 10 inches more this week.Sadly we are not old enough to get it quite for free :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hanadr.

I had the same condition back in Febuary this year. I was told by my doctor that it was varicose eczema, and was given a hydrocortisone cream called Trimovate, which cleared the condition within days. He also said I should apply E45 cream after bathing, which would keep the skin moist and prevent recurrence.

My son has eczema, and E45 is great for treating the irritation of the skin. Well worth the money!

Regards

Nigel

TheTartanPimpernel

I had very irritating patches on both shins for a few years after a long walk through very long grass whilst wearing shorts. Nothing prescribed would stop the itch and it was an itch that could not be refused serious scratching. As a last resort I applied neat Tea Tree oil to both patches of skin every morning. It cleared up on my right leg within a week but persisted for a couple of months in the other. Problem solved.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I find E45 makes my skin worse. There are no blemishes on my skin( other than my scratches) which would indicate eczema. Thanks for the caring . I seem to have got rid of it for now. Even the swimming pool didn't set it off again this morning.
Hana