Diagnosed August now head in sand

prepareathome

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can someone give me a big kick.

At first when I was diagnosed - well for a month - i watched my diet and tested. Doctor first put me on Metaforim tables but they gave me nasty headaches and i was sick constantly the two weeks I tried first the ordinary one then same with slow release. Felt doctor didn't want me to to take anything else and kept saying if you keep trying they will eventually be ok, snag is I have other heath problems that give me pain including chronic headaches plus also being sick is sometimes just normal for me so anything that adds to these problems is just no help, I really felt so ill that i told her I would rather just let the diabetes kill me. Sounds dramatic but I have chronic body pain and being sick just makes the pain worse and its bad enough being caused by health problems but taken meds that make it worse was like being punished.

So she grudgingly gave me Januvia and although they don't seem to affect so far my glucose levels neither do they cause me any side effects at all.

The problems hit about 2 months in I just suddenly had a mental shift and found myself eating cakes and chocolates which daft as it sounds i never normally do and not bothering with any care over diet - needless to say levels have gone higher. I am craving these like mad and cannot seem to get myself to care. I have weird sensations in hands and feet and even doctor said it sound like some nerve damage plus I have some cuts that are taking a very long time to heal . So with these physical symptoms there in front of me why or why can I not behave.

Never been like this before, always been good over any health problems and done what I have to, to be cured or improve but mentally I just cannot do it - I know if i carry on I am going to be be sans parts of my body, affect the rest of it but at moment I just do not care.

I have been through a rather rough few years but that is over now and things have settled into their new order so it cannot be stress, its as if I 'believe' if I don;t act as if I have it, it will vanish yet I know its not true.

Has anyone else gone through this denial phase and if so how did you end up without doing serious damage to your body?

Please help and give me the kick I need.

Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't exactly go through a denial phase, but I did let work matter more than my health which was very stupid. During that time I did eat the wrong stuff through anxiety and stress and, instead, I should have put my foot down and read the riot act to myself. Being KIND to yourself, as I am now to myself, (but not INDULGENT) is the way to go, and just leave all the harm behind NOW. Because harm is what you're doing to yourself.

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, hmmm, wondering if dark chocolate would help you more than a kick!! If you could find some treats that you really like, that would also be kind to your bs levels, that might be encouraging, and comforting.

W are all wonderfully unique (I have to keep telling myself this too), and need to be kind to ourselves.

My treats include bit of 70% chocolate every night
Cheese
Butter
Olives
Chocolate orange tea
Bars from the natural low carb store

I found giving up bread a real mental barrier so haven't! Use Livlife bread instead, 4 carbs per slice. Are there things you are missing that you could find a good substitute for?

Take care and all the best

D

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that if I go off plan and indulge in carby treats, I get really strong carb cravings for the following few days. Hang in there and hopefully it will get better. Satsumas are one of my healthy treats - you have no idea how wonderful they taste once you have really lowered your sugar intact!

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @prepareathome Welcome to this amazing forum.

Many say knowing the problem is the start to recovery and 50% of the problem completed. We all have times when our self-motivation is on the decline. Personally, I set a realistic target on a weekly basis and plan an indulgence
a couple of months down the line. That way, you have something to focus on and look forward to reaching that date.

Reactions: 4 people

HarryType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bless you, please do be careful. It can be done. Unfortunately there is no cure (yet) although I have just recently read that type 1 has successfully been reversed in mice there is no cure for needing your foot amputated, there are no new eyes they can give you when yours are beyond repair, they don't have new nerves to replace the broken ones you have, but YOU can help yourself. I help myself by thinking about my family, I don't want to be a burden on my fiancée because I've needed an amputation, I don't want her to have to give up work because I've lost my sight, I want to see my four month old baby boy grow up, I want to live long enough to draw my pension,... I probably haven't helped you at all, it can be really tough sometimes, I'm 29, diagnosed in July with type1. Please try look after yourself. People are here to support you.

Reactions: 4 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never been like this before, always been good over any health problems and done what I have to, to be cured or improve but mentally I just cannot do it - I know if i carry on I am going to be be sans parts of my body, affect the rest of it but at moment I just do not care.
Hi @prepareathome and welcome xx. You CAN do this - you said you've tackled things head on before, and you CAN do it again. As for the 'I don't care' bit - the fact that you've made this post shows that you do xx.
Put your lapse behind you, forgive yourself for being as human as the rest of us and move forward, taking each day at a time. When you feel fed up and low in mood, come on here and have a good rant. You'll be talking to lots of people who really do know exactly how how you feel.
If you have questions about your diabetes, diet, sugar levels etc, just ask em. Get involved. The people on here are so helpful and it really does help you to feel like you are part of a community.
Sending you lots of virtual hugs xxxxx