Freestyle Libre test strips?

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

So I've been using the freestyle libre since March...it has just occurred to me that I could be using the blood glucose tester built into the reader instead of using a separate one (duh). Does anyone know of the strips for the libre are available on the nhs?? I thought I'd ask here before asking my doctor as ill probably get a better answer!!

Thanks in advance!

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi congrats on getting the libre. You can apply for funding to get them but very unlikely to get it unless you hit there catorgories such as limited hypo awareness pregnancy or will save the nhs in the long run money hope it helpa

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I can't get the sensors on prescription, I am self funding

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah may have miss understood. If the test strips are for a normal machine should be no problem getting

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are for the same machine that reads the sensors. It can do both. I was interested to hear from someone else who has the libre and whether they have got them on Nhs :)

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah right be been trying for it but the manufactors have up to a 8 month wait on them now due to demand

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks :) I appreciate you replying!! Could just ask my doctors but half the time they don't know re new technology

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The short answer is yes they are available on prescription. I was already using the compatible strips so I've just carried on requesting them so I don't know how they would react to supplying them for use specifically with the Libre. If you think it may be an issue with your doctor you could always say you've just got a new meter and need to change to different strips.

You can also get the ketone test strips to fit it so worth asking for those too.

Petey

Yes, the Libre uses Optium strips. Been using the Optium ketone strips for years with the stand-alone Optium meter (as integrated into the Libre handset) and it also does BG readings. Strips are quite useful as they're individually wrapped and colour coded: blue for BG, lilac for BK. No rattling pot of strips to bug you, or empty over the floor when hands are cold - can slip a few into a wallet too if you're travelling light. Can't comment on BG accuracy against alternatives though as rarely used that function.

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies. I have got the blood glucose strips on prescription now thanks. I don't use ketone strips as find they go out of date before I need them. Found the accuracy of the blood glucose pretty good so far